Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building AR rifle from ground up?

Blcksmk

I am looking into building a AR-15 to shoot three gun with. I have looked at many different options as far as either buying a pre-built 3-Gun rifle, a stock AR-15, or piecing together a rifle. What do you guys think is the best option to do?

Several people have told me that they have had great success with taking a factory AR-15 and adding parts such as a comp, weaver 1-3 scope, and several other parts which made them competitive.

Blcksmk

It really depends on your budget. How much are you willing to put forward? With me it was either a choice to purchase a production run of the mill rifle or have a reputable builder build me an upper designed specifically for 3 gun while I supply the lower. I decided on the latter and only spent about $300 more than a production build and ended up with a quality build that will last for years and years to come.

My budget is roughly $1,250 at the current moment. I have looked into several production run-of-the-mill AR-15 companies and decided that if I choose to buy a kit and build it, Del-Ton rifles would get my business. This would allow me to purchase a flat-top M4 kit and assemble it myself at the same time make the minor changes I want to do.

Del-Ton's M4 Rifle kit runs $485 with a stripped lower. All I would need is a good match grade trigger and minor parts and pieces to finish the bottom half off. Only other intended changes would include a good comp, and magpul precision rifle stock.

If I were to put that much money up for a upper, I would use a JP Enterprises 1 piece 18" Barrel and Comp with heat-sink and adjustable gas block as well as their matching upper and lower with their hand-guard. However, being a entry-level setup for now I don't feel that a full on custom upper is needed. Opinions?

I am looking into building a AR-15 to shoot three gun with. I have looked at many different options as far as either buying a pre-built 3-Gun rifle, a stock AR-15, or piecing together a rifle. What do you guys think is the best option to do?

Several people have told me that they have had great success with taking a factory AR-15 and adding parts such as a comp, weaver 1-3 scope, and several other parts which made them competitive.

Blcksmk

With your budget what it is. I would buy a quality optic, a muzzle brake and a good trigger to start. Then when money allows get an upper that suits your needs. I like the Noveske 18 inch Rogue Hunter or their Shooting team upper. But there are lots of good choices.

As for being competative it depends on who you are compeating against. I have done well in the smaller Alaska matches but down south at the major matches the level of competition goes up quite a bit.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

You said the Delton kit was 485 with the lower, I think you meant without the lower. So you will need to add that also.

The M4 kit is a 16" barrel correct?

From research here I would say that most here would favor a longer barrel on a dedicated 3-Gun AR.

I used a 16" barrel for a while and I think if you mostly shoot short range <300 yards and use an optic it would work fine. If you intend to shoot 400-500 yards then some prefer the increased velocity of a longer barrel and if shooting iron sights, the longer sight radius.

I personally see nothing wrong with a Franken-gun, which is what I have, but I would recommend a factory assembled/head spaced/tested upper.

I look at guns like golf clubs; my score will not likely be impacted by shooting a $3,000 custom AR over shooting a good, reasonably priced AR that always works.

My breakpoint in buying a custom gun would be if I wanted a low mass BCG, adjustable gas block, a specific comp and other items that might make tuning the gun to be reliable a challenge and in my case would be best left up to a company like JP.

David E.

Try this, put together a list of what you want in the final build.

Check with your local gunshop to see if they sell stripped lowers - that's the only piece that needs an FFL.

Check to see what you can buy that will build what you want. Keep in mind that there are a lot of good parts (like JP) out there but they can be quite expensive. But if you take your time and select quality components you can put together something that's pretty darn good for a lot less money. After all, this is your first gun and you are on a budget - just get the best you can afford - you can always get something better in a few years when you hit the lottery.

Now, after you have this list and figure out what that will cost, start shopping for a pre-built rifle that has most of what you want and then figure the cost of upgrading that.

There are so many MFG that it's difficult to know where to look. I don't know much about Del-Ton but I was not overly impressed with their offerings when I looked. I know guys that swear by Daniel Defense and Stag Arms and others that swear at them. Same thing goes for DPMS. The big issue is that a 3-gun rifle is purpose built, and that's a purpose that most pre-built rifles don't fit. A lightweight 16" barrel carbine is great for tactical but may not be quite so great for 3-gun.

Last advise, take your time. There are probably a hundred or more different options to consider. And don't overlook the used gun market either. Also remember that almost all AR-15 parts are interchangeable so not everything has to come from the same MFG.

Edited by Graham Smith

Sometimes you can find a deal on someones unwanted 3 gun rifle. This is how I found my dad a rifle. Very good deal since most builds are tailored to the builder/owner and they'll take a loss when selling it.

I built mine from scratch because I wanted to do it super cheap, yet use the best components. I started shopping for used light weight buffers, used rifle length buttstock (A1 buttstock for $5). Had a friend make a handguard for me (doesn't everyone have a friend with a mill and lathe?). Kidding aside, I put the money into the barrel, comp and low mass operating system.

I built the rifle around the barrel since I was building a 20 inch iron sight gun for limited. Even in TacOptics, I would build the gun around the barrel and internals. Receivers can be found cheap, parts kits, furniture, all can be found used or cheap. Spend the money on the JP light carrier, and the best barrel you can find. Most factory guns will give up either barrel twist rate, barrel length or gas system length.

I've had a dozen or more AR's over the past 10 years and built every one except one. It was a 9mm - I decided to buy that one because the difference in price was < $50, new vs buying parts & I figured the warranty was worth that.

I prefer building. It taught me how the rifle operates and also how to assemble & disassemble parts. You can set it up one way, tear it down, sell off the parts and do it all over again. A few tools are required, but all in all, maybe cost $100 or so.

My 3 gun rifle started out as a collection of parts. 16" RRA Barrel, JP handguard & trigger, m4 stock & Miculek comp. More matches I shot, I was able to see what other shooters were using and what I liked. Ive added a few things here & there. Custom 18" barrel, SJC Titian, JP LMOS & adjustable gas block, rifle length stock. The thing I like so much about them is they are so easy to change configurations.

Edited by prreed10

I shot 3 gun for years with an m4 bushmaster. (put in a good trigger, and a muzzle brake) that's it.

then 7 months ago, I realized I was outshooting the gun, so I got a full on JP.

Borrow as many as you can, and try to determine what "feels" right for now. Don't know your skill level, but really anything will work good enough for a while. Let us know!

Another suggestion....If you have low experience/practice time, then get a stock-ish/plain rifle, AND a .22 upper! you'll be amazed how much better you'll be shooting if you burn half a bulk pack a week!

Your budget should be fine for an entry rifle. I picked up an STI rifle and just added some parts to make it what I want. I have a total of about $1600 in mine now with the scope, mount, new stock, new grip, charging handle, and mags. I have shot about 2K rounds through it now and never had a malfunction and it is very pleasant to shoot and accurate. Is it a JP equivalent? No. Is it a good entry/mid-level rifle that will last? Absolutely. I plan on getting a JP upper years down the road but not now.

When I was looking for decent first AR, that would be suitable for 3 gun I put a WTB ad in the classifieds here.

Got lots of offers of nice used guns/uppers at good prices. Ended up with a lightly used JP CTR-02 at a really great price, a little higher than what I originally wanted to spend but it was worth it.

if you can not a used one, i would say try a build, on the upper to me having a adjustable gas block is up there with the comp. i really like the JP LMOS also it does help. if you just take the factory bolt and have it milled and refinished latter. it will has costed more than buying the JP first and still will not be as light and smooth.

just my 2 cents.

BUT, with being said if you have fairly good skills in the first place you will fine no matter which way you go.

good luck and have fun

Blcksmk

A buddy just showed me a scope that blew me away for the price- it was a Nikon 2-8 power with a .223 bullet-drop-compensator. Seems as clear as my NightForce 2.5-10. It was $345 ! If I was building another AR I'd get that sucker on it!

I agree with Shaun. If you build, start with a good barrel. My suggestion would be no shorter than 18 inches. There are several deals on 20" barrels and I prefer 20", 1:9 twist. Then a decent trigger (JP $250, RRA $120) . Then sights or optics. I would free float the barrel, you can get a vented DPMS tube for $90. Maybe you need a comp. There are several for less than $100. You can get a complete lower for about $250. RRA has a complete lower w/butstock and NM 2 stage trigger for about $250.

If you are just starting you may be better off to just buy a complete upper and lower. Put them together and shoot some matches. If you end up not shooting much or when you are ready to upgrade, a stock rifle would be worth something. A built to suit rifle is worth far less than the sum of its parts, so getting some exposure to several examples before you start a build may save you some $$$.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys. After reading some more and speaking to several local 3-Gun fanatics today I will definitely building a 20" rifle. I'm still looking for a pre-built top end for sure. I don't have the tools to buy a separate barrel from the top end and head space it correctly. As for t a trigger and lower, I will buy a RRA setup. I can put everything together from there.

Any suggestions for a good affordable budget friendly top end? I will be changing or adding a comp to this.

David, Thanks for the link! That comp looks like it functions great and I seem to see alot of shooters use them. I'm looking also looking at Firebirds new comp but can't seem to find a price on it?

• 3 weeks later...