Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting two divisions in one day?

digby7

In a effort to improve(going from C->?) I was wondering if it was possible to shoot 2 divisions in the same day with the same gear at a match? I shoot 2 matches a month if I'm lucky and I'd like to make the most of my time while i'm there. Ive been video'ing to see what I can do to improve but more trigger time would allow me to go further in the same amount of time.

I'd like to shoot singlestack and L10 with the gear I have, I shoot at these two clubs:

http://www.tasc-ipsc.com/

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

Ive never seen anyone at a match do 2 runs per stage so I was wondering if this is something thats club dependant, up to the match director and if it bugs other shooters on your squad(obviously I'd be taping/resetting steel whenever not shooting, not sitting around chatting)

thoughts?

In a effort to improve(going from C->?) I was wondering if it was possible to shoot 2 divisions in the same day with the same gear at a match? I shoot 2 matches a month if I'm lucky and I'd like to make the most of my time while i'm there. Ive been video'ing to see what I can do to improve but more trigger time would allow me to go further in the same amount of time.

I'd like to shoot singlestack and L10 with the gear I have, I shoot at these two clubs:

http://www.tasc-ipsc.com/

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

Ive never seen anyone at a match do 2 runs per stage so I was wondering if this is something thats club dependant, up to the match director and if it bugs other shooters on your squad(obviously I'd be taping/resetting steel whenever not shooting, not sitting around chatting)

thoughts?

Some clubs will allow you to run the classifier twice (each with a different division) but I haven't seen a club allowing to run twice every stage. I'm sure there are some out there but I haven't seen it. One club I go to will allow re-shoots after the official match is over but that's all.

It wouldn't bother me, you just have to pay for the second classifier also. Good luck...

Club dependent. We don't do double runs at IDPA/USPSA around here that I've seen, but it's very common at steel challenge matches. I've seen both two guns in together, and a second match after the first one is complete for the 2nd guns. I think the latter is preferable as it doesn't hold up the single gun guys and you don't have to switch back and forth at each stage. The important thing is to re-balance the squads if they vary a lot when the 1 round guys leave.

You need to ask the clubs. There's nothing in USPSA rules to prohibit it, but some clubs don't allow it so as to make the matches run faster.

FWIW, the way its done here is that squads run through the entire match once, and then those who still want to shoot re-squad and run through again with a second gun (or re-shoot). I typically run SS first time through and L-10 or occasionally SS minor 2nd time through, and we have a few shooters who double up on Lim or Production and L-10. In fact, most of the L10 scores are someone running their primary gun as a "second gun."

BB

our club, memphis sport shooting assoc., will allow you to shoot twice. the north tennessee practical shooters in dickson, tn. shoot the second weekend of every month. they encourage shooting muliple guns. you can actually shoot 4 times in one weekend.

let me clearify, we go through with the first gun, then squad up again the go throught the stages again. not shooting two guns righ behind the other.

Edited by lynn jones

We have a few guys that have shot 2 divisions, 2 full entries at some matches. Some of it depends on the person. If they are a hard worker and don't slow down the squad, I see no problem.

We ran a Super Classifier this month. Had several people shoot 2 divisions, some 3, and one hardy lady shoot 4 divisions. They had to complete one and then they could come and sign up for another. Since we had rolling squads, it was fine, even encouraged. For a normal match, it probably would not work out so well.

From a learning perspective, I doubt you would get much, maybe even urt yourself trying to run two divisions simultaneously.

Definately not the norm and it is surely up to the MD to decide. There is no USPSA prohibition.

Yep, looks like it is up to the MD.

"6.2.4 Subject to the prior approval of the Match Director, a competitor may enter a match in more than one Division. However, the competitor may

compete for match score in only one Division, and that must be the first attempt in all cases. Any subsequent attempts in another Division will

not count for match recognition.

6.2.4.1 Level I matches may allow competitors to enter multiple Divisions for match recognition."

I had not realized that they can actually shoot for match score in more than 1 division in a Level 1 match though. We do allow shooting the classifier stage (or the whole match if Special Classifier match) for extra USPSA fee but not for other stages. We have to clear the range by 1:30 so there is not enough time.

Edited by Tim/GA

At our club you can shoot two divisions in one day. You pay twice though. I think I'm going to try this as soon as my new belt arrives. That way you get to shoot twice at the same match. Win win for me.

Usually you shoot with two different cards. You shoot at the front of your squad, and again at the back so that you have time to change guns.

Edited by JimmyZip

I'm the MD at Fredericksburg, which is the largest club in Area 8. We average about 110 shooters a month during the summer and offer 6 or 7 stages.

At my match, there's simply no way for a shooter to run the match twice. Doing it with the squad they're on is too time consuming and if everyone did it the match would take forever. We only do one time slot, so there's no way to reregister and shoot again in the afternoon.

Virtually all of the Western PA clubs let shooters run through 2 or even three times in as many divisions as you want, with each one being a separate run. Depends on time and number of shooters. You pay for each time through, $15 first gun, $10 second. 5 stages, one a classifier.

I regularly run 2x per match, usually both times production but occasionally limited minor and maybe open with a new build I have been playing with. Heck, if I get a single stack I'd run that,too!

You drive an hour or so to a match to shoot it once and be done by 11:00. What a waste. Bring multiple guns and shoot as many as you can fit in, or run the same gun twice and shoot the cof a different way. 60 to 70 guns a match at some clubs 25-40 at others. It all depends on how many shooters show up and how many clubs there are to shoot at.

We have a match virtually every weekend of the month, so there is a lot of variety and choices.

I wish we had open squadding around here. There have been weekends we haven't even fired the first shot by 11 AM.

Yep, most clubs can begin shooting at 9 am, some at 8, so we have people show up early.

Heck, we even allow people to shoot stages they blew for fun as long as they let someone know they want to shoot it before it gets torn down. Then of course, it is great if you help break it down when you are done. But we usually get only about 40 to 70 shooters.

I do not see how this takes any more time than having an additional shooter on your squad really. More money for your match, more money for USPSA, more shooting for your time at the range. Win win to me.

I do not see how this takes any more time than having an additional shooter on your squad really. More money for your match, more money for USPSA, more shooting for your time at the range. Win win to me.

+1

We're too heavy to even have another shooter, let alone the same one twice.

The curse of putting on good matches! Many shooters vote with their wallets and pay to go to matches that are challenging. Not that others are not, just some have fewer props, fewer volunteers, fewer stage designers.

We found some clubs had fewer shooters or were skipped because the quality of the matches was not there. A few changes in MD's and those clubs are now "must shoot" rather than "could miss" matches.

Alex

As far as I know

The only club in Nor. Cal. that does allow re-entry's is Oakdale. They shoot on the 3rd Sunday

MVZ

hey Mark,

thanks.

See you at tasc this weekend.

-Alex.