Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your impression shooting 200 vs 180

fastarget

Order some 200 Zero from Angus, they were at my door two days later. Gonna use ~ 4.1 320 @ 1.18. If the freaking wind dies down I will chrono them this weekend.

Kind of a shame, since I have about 2000 rounds of match ammo with 180 JHP Zeros.

But I am probably going to standardize on 200 Zeros from now on for Limited and SS.

pjb,

Thanks for the reply, I plan to use the 180s for practice, even minor idpa (although been thinking of selling the bushing gun, maybe), I ordered the 200s. Not here yet, I would be iterested to see your chrono results if you please. As soon as mine are here I will put a load together and do the same.

• 1 month later...

I have finally worked up a minimum load:

VV320 4.36 grains

Federal Primers

200 Zeros

Various Head Stamps

Average fir 35 rounds PF=165.1 @ 825.52 fps

4 strings total of 35 rounds

each string ->165

Edited by pjb45

Nice, I started at 4.2, under pf with the kart barrel but averaged 830 with the Shuemann bull. Not unusual to get great variations from barrel to barrel.

My question is, loading long 1.20, no reliability issues, and excellent accuracy to 30 yds, IF one seeks a bit more velocity, do you close the OAL slightly or do you add powder? What is best?

I have had a couple of nice talks with Beven Gram and Don Golembieski (former VV technical rep) about OAL. I finally decided to use a 1.18 OAL. This way I do not worry about them being too long and hanging up in the mag and I have no degradation in reliability.

I chrono'd my Nowlin barrel. Both my Nowlin and Kart chrono about the same, with very little variance between the two.

Before SSNationals one year, I was at Taran's while he was working up his load for his Schuemann. There was a good variance between my Kart and his Shcuemann. What barely made major in his Schuemann, made minor in my Kart.

I suspect for Nationals this year, I will probably bump to 4.39 for an extra cushion.

I do notice/track my sights rising when shooting a 165-167 PF more than when shooting a 171-172 PF.

Edited by pjb45

I have finally worked up a minimum load:

VV320 4.36 grains

Federal Primers

200 Zeros

Various Head Stamps

Average fir 35 rounds PF=165.1 @ 825.52 fps

4 strings total of 35 rounds

each string ->165

What gun are you using? Also, what do you think adding another.03 grains will bump your load to? Im just getting the Zero 200 with VV320 formula going. Just tried a 4.0 charge with a 5" bull barrel and it got me 750fps across the board on 30 rounds mixed head stamp with Fed. SPM primers, 1.2 OAL. Im going to try a 4.4 charge and recheck. Thanks for some input. H!

Ok, just tried the 4.4 charge 1.20 OAl, PSPM primers, 200 Zero FP with a 810 avg FPS. Just shy of the mark. Just loaded up with 4.5 grn charge, have to recheck, Im guessing its at 165 min. PF though. I will say this much, after running about 30 rounds through my gun, the barrel was amazingly cool to the touch. TightGroup woulda had my finger blistered if I touched it. VVN320 really meters extremly well and the Avg spread is very tight. This is some good stuff, very thankful Burwell, talked me into using the stuff. So much easier to work with. As soon as I chrono the 4.5 charge Ill give you all the avg FPS info. Thanks for some good starting points. H!

Ok, just tried the 4.4 charge 1.20 OAl, PSPM primers, 200 Zero FP with a 810 avg FPS. Just shy of the mark. Just loaded up with 4.5 grn charge, have to recheck, Im guessing its at 165 min. PF though. I will say this much, after running about 30 rounds through my gun, the barrel was amazingly cool to the touch. TightGroup woulda had my finger blistered if I touched it. VVN320 really meters extremly well and the Avg spread is very tight. This is some good stuff, very thankful Burwell, talked me into using the stuff. So much easier to work with. As soon as I chrono the 4.5 charge Ill give you all the avg FPS info. Thanks for some good starting points. H!

hf219

What brand barrel are you using? How many rounds through it? 4.5 should get you there reliably I would think........

Edited by fastarget

I have a Nowlin and Kart barrels. Essentially no real difference in the two barrels. Schuemann will run about 10-15fps slower, in my experience.

I run the machine five times after each adjustment to the load weight. Then I measure 10 rounds. This lets me know to the hundredth my weight. Frequently, I will do this twice and sometimes three times just to confirm the weight.

The outside temperature was warm---desert southwest, similar to Las Vegas.

I will bump the velocity for Lim Nat ammo.

I suspect 4.4-4.42 should be more than enough to get into the 169 range.

hf219

What brand barrel are you using? How many rounds through it? 4.5 should get you there reliably I would think........

STI Bull Barrell. Not sure on round count, although its probably got 30K plus. 4.5, I hope so, just made up round for the WPA Sectional, not the kind of person to roll the dice, It should be good to go though.

probably not that big of a difference, I would think it is something like the feel of a 200gr vs 230gr major load in a 45, just a different feel of recoil, more push maybe than snap? some like one over the other.

I couldn't feel any difference and I much prefer 230s in .45 over 200s. 200s in .40 felt the same as my 180 loads at the same power factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know about Bayou bullets, but have done some chrono work with Solo and Bear Creek 200s. My 180gr FP bear creek load at 1.205” over 5.2gr Solo gave me 171.4PF. I tried 4.9gr Solo under a 200gr bear creek at the same OAL and it gave me 181PF. Solo is much more efficient with heavy bullets, I’m thinking I might drop to 4.4 or 4.5 to reach my goal of 171PF.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my 3 week experimentation with 200gr bullets is over now, I'm back to 180's. My barsto .40 limited gun (basically an Edge) doesn't like the 200's with solo. It is hard to put a finger on why it didn't work, it just acted weird in recoil. The load was softer than the 180 load at the same PF, but the sights tracked weird (not straight up and down). I shot a steel match today and switched to 180s for the last stage and my hits were much better.

I prefer the heavier bullets myself. I am currently shooting 200 gr BBI's at 170 PF using 4.2 gr of Solo 1000. While I can adapt to 180's in Major, I like the softer push of the 200 gr. I have fired a friends .45 ACP using 200 gr bullets at the same power factor and it felt exactly like my load in 10mm (as it should).

• 3 months later...

The gun is spending to much time under recoil, that's why it feels strange compared to your 180's

You want the slide to be snappy, which is what you get using N320 and 180, you can get the same result with a 200, but it needs a different powder.

Solo 1000 works great with the 180 and works with the 230 in .45, not so with the 200

Well, my 3 week experimentation with 200gr bullets is over now, I'm back to 180's. My barsto .40 limited gun (basically an Edge) doesn't like the 200's with solo. It is hard to put a finger on why it didn't work, it just acted weird in recoil. The load was softer than the 180 load at the same PF, but the sights tracked weird (not straight up and down). I shot a steel match today and switched to 180s for the last stage and my hits were much better.

I finally decided to use a 1.18 OAL. This way I do not worry about them being too long and hanging up in the mag and I have no degradation in reliability.

I do notice/track my sights rising when shooting a 165-167 PF more than when shooting a 171-172 PF.

thanks for the tip