Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your impression shooting 200 vs 180

fastarget

I am about to run out of 180s, have shot precision delta, zero, a few Berrys and my last of the HAP. I have a chance to pick up some 200 zeros priced like Berrys. I load long 1.19.

I would like to know if you have shot 200s, what is your perception vs 180, how do you compare sight recovery, what is the accuracy like up to 35 yds, pressure issues, have you liked them enough to keep shooting them or they are just ok and you plan to go back to 180, and a ball park load with N320 please (search shows 4 to 4.2, but no confirmation or chrono numbers).

Edited by fastarget

I shot 200 grain hard cast bullets for about a year and never had any issues. I now shoot 180 grain black bullets and the only difference that I really notice between the two is that the gun seems faster with the 180's. I'd say the recoil is similar but snappier, if that makes any sense. I'm running a 5" SVI 2011. I get about 168 PF with 180 grain bullets, 4.3 grains of WST loaded to 1.135 AOL. I've been fortunate that my guns all run the short AOL.

I love the 200's for my .40 but when bullets started to really rise, I started playing with the 155/165/180 groups. The 180s are close but do feel a little snapier, as expected, but I don't like it as much. The 155/165 are very similar and very snappier in my opinion. I have settled on the 180s mostly as a compromise but I do love the 200's most of all. Nice, slow push in the hand but not too slow to hender your shooting. Maybe for the GMs but not at my level...

I love the 200's for my .40 but when bullets started to really rise, I started playing with the 155/165/180 groups. The 180s are close but do feel a little snapier, as expected, but I don't like it as much. The 155/165 are very similar and very snappier in my opinion. I have settled on the 180s mostly as a compromise but I do love the 200's most of all. Nice, slow push in the hand but not too slow to hender your shooting. Maybe for the GMs but not at my level...

so if you could buy the 200 for the same as 180, you would buy them for their superior feel and performance?

I just changed from 180g MG JHP over N320 to 200g Bayou Bullets "green" RN over WST. I will never go back unless something changes.

I'm working up a load for 200gr BBI's with WST as well. How much WST are you using?

so if you could buy the 200 for the same as 180, you would buy them for their superior feel and performance?

Yes, I like the soft, push in the hand and it did not bother my splits or transitions any between the two. Lately, I started shooting Open so I'm back on the 9mm thing but I love shooting my 6" Limited with some MG 200 bullets...

Most will disagree with me, from what I read, but it's all about personal preference...

I just changed from 180g MG JHP over N320 to 200g Bayou Bullets "green" RN over WST. I will never go back unless something changes.

I'm working up a load for 200gr BBI's with WST as well. How much WST are you using?

At LOA of 1.185, 3.9g of WST makes 170PF in my rig.

At LOA of 1.185, 3.9g of WST makes 170PF in my rig.

I think that it is mostly about preference, I started shooting limited with 200gr, and they are nice no issues OAL 1.200. After I progressed in skill and tolerance to recoil I went to 180gr. Next I went to the Precison Moly 185gr w/WST and that is my favorite. Along the way I also transitioned from a 14# reocoil spring to a 12#. All of the bullets have been accurate even to 50 yards. If you pay attention at a major match you will find limited shooters shooting everything and anything from 155gr to 220gr, each will tell you how great their load is, well it is, but its the preference with thier rig and style and skill level. What matters is what works for you and the way to find that out is to try it and use the timer to verify that it is working faster for you.

Zeros don't have to be cheaper than Berry's, I buy them because they are darn good bullets when you can find them.

I standardized on 180 grain Zero (or MG) years ago. I have excellent chrono data for that load over VV320.

I am finally running out of Zero 180 JHP.

I am going to order 200 soon.

I was able to shoot some 200 and like the softer feel.

I did not my powder to 4.8 and noticed a significantly softer shooting (less muzzle flip) load and was able to maintain major power factor.

I am thinking the 200 will be even softer shooting.

The following is just an opinion and does not assume...anything.

By now you may have detected that we all have our favorites wink.gif.

With the exception of indoor shooting, a jacketed bullet for our non-compensated 9 and 40 target ammo is just plain overkill in this day and age.

You can't beat a quality hard cast / moly (black) bullet in areas of cost, availability, accuracy. Now, that's only IF these things are really important to you smile.gif

Your barrel will thank you too.

Jim

With the exception of indoor shooting, a jacketed bullet for our non-compensated 9 and 40 target ammo is just plain overkill in this day and age.

You can't beat a quality hard cast / moly (black) bullet in areas of cost, availability, accuracy. Now, that's only IF these things are really important to you smile.gif

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have considered a good hard cast or coated bullet. My only reluctance has been (and I am not opening another discussion) due to the contact with lead, not only for me but for my children who seem to have this shooting illness at a young age. some of the casts have gone up to the same price as new/old stock bullets I have found, some other companies have not. Either way sounds like most are please with the 200s, no matter what brand or composition.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have considered a good hard cast or coated bullet. My only reluctance has been (and I am not opening another discussion) due to the contact with lead, not only for me but for my children who seem to have this shooting illness at a young age. some of the casts have gone up to the same price as new/old stock bullets I have found, some other companies have not. Either way sounds like most are please with the 200s, no matter what brand or composition.

Ok, now that you've decided to go 200 be advised that unless you load long and you use GOOD brass you could encounter an occasional head separation and some case blow out. I'm talking 1.180 to 1.200 for OAL. WIth a "moly" or "cast" you use less powder and aka its less pressure (IMHO). I used titegroup with Zero 200gr (4.3gr) and this worked fine in my STI at 1.200 OAL. I decided to shoot my CZ TS so I just shortened them down to 1.140, well not a good idea, I had two head separations in the first match I shot them in. This is why Clays has such a bad rap in 40, because in the old days legends would shoot clays with 200gr in 40, it helped them be fast but then again they had to deal with the one that got away, because of a case failure. If you load short or if you have issues just go to a slower powder like WSF or IMR7625, 3n37 etc, this will drop the pressure. N340 another good one to drop pressure.

I'm probably going to order up some Bayou Bullet 200's for my Edge and run it over WST since I got a ton of it. Bayou bullets don't smoke and don't turn your hands green and I find my barrel is cleaner after shooting than before, and it takes less powder than a moly and way less than jacketed. I have even shot them at 1400+ fps out of my open gun with no issue. I can't attest to accuracy since I did not do any specific testing, but I won my division in the match (Production) and I don't shoot Iron sights often.

The biggest danger we face in lead is the tumbler and the media separator and that is due to lead in the spent primers getting into the media, don't handle the corn.

COCO,

Thank you, I think I will check out the bayou bullets, it is better to go with experience than to discover on your own.

I use cheap disposable gloves to handle the tumblers and separators anymore. I even use them to pick up brass.

COCO,

Thank you, I think I will check out the bayou bullets, it is better to go with experience than to discover on your own.

I use cheap disposable gloves to handle the tumblers and separators anymore. I even use them to pick up brass.

Hey wasn't try to put the FOG in you, just wanted you to be aware that 200 gr in 40 with fast powder can be a pressure issue if loaded short. When you pop a top off, well it just ruins the stage, and splitting the back of the case just causes a jam.

I did'n know Donnie was making a 200 till I read this thread, I like his bullets all the benefit of moly and none of the hassle.

Just received an email from Donnie, he was very prompt.

No FoG my friend, just a good place to start.............So the most important question is can the bayou bullet be loaded long 1.19-1.2(my load) and not have the wax ring interfere with the crimping? Anyone load a bunch of bayou long?

probably not that big of a difference, I would think it is something like the feel of a 200gr vs 230gr major load in a 45, just a different feel of recoil, more push maybe than snap? some like one over the other.

Yeah, Donnie was prompt on my email last weekend about availability and pricing. I will be ordering some small packs to see how they compare the MGs I have. If anyone has tested the MG 200 vs the Bayou 200, please let me know. Also the MG 124 vs the Bayou 125. Thanks...

I use 4 grains of n320 with a 200 moly at 1.175 for 170 pf.

Thanks for the info, so .2 more for the jacketed should be close enough to chrono, although it does not seem to take too much more for the zero brand to fly, less than MG and much less than Pdelta.

Order some 200 Zero from Angus, they were at my door two days later. Gonna use ~ 4.1 320 @ 1.18. If the freaking wind dies down I will chrono them this weekend.

Kind of a shame, since I have about 2000 rounds of match ammo with 180 JHP Zeros.

But I am probably going to standardize on 200 Zeros from now on for Limited and SS.