Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal Frame M&P

AzNooB

Is there any demand for a steel or aluminum framed M&P? CCF RaceFrames makes metal Glock frames that can be used for Limited, L10, or Open Division.

My colleagues and I have been talking about coming up with a prototype but will only do it if there's genuine purchase intent. It would be a waste of time for us to make it only to find out that no one wants one.

The Glock frames are priced at right under $300. Is that a price that would make you want to open your wallets for one?

Thanks.

Edited by AzNooB

Not sure if there would be enough interest at this time. Glocks were around for a long time before they came out with the metal frames.

^... this!!!! Plus they fix the issue of slide bite with the glock as they have an added beavertail.. They also get rid of the glock hump grip for those that don't like the feel of the factory glock grip. What would be the issue being improved on the m&p?

The main advantage would be the weight increase to absorb the recoil to help the shooter bring the sights back on target faster.

A 40oz M&P would be easier to shoot than a 24oz M&P.

Edited by AzNooB

Not sure if there would be enough interest at this time. Glocks were around for a long time before they came out with the metal frames.

I think the reason it took so long for the Glock frames to come out was a patent issue, they had to wait for the Glock patent to expire before they could copy it. You would more than likely run into the same thing with the M&P. That could be off base but that was the story I heard.

^... this!!!! Plus they fix the issue of slide bite with the glock as they have an added beavertail.. They also get rid of the glock hump grip for those that don't like the feel of the factory glock grip. What would be the issue being improved on the m&p?

"*... this!!!" What is that all about? I'm not hating on the M and P, just an opinion about overall consumer interest in a metal frame for the gun at this very moment in time. I dont have an issue with improvements for the M and P as I think its a great damn pistol.

Glock slide bite? never heard of any complaints about that. For the record I have a Glock in a holster 40-70 hours a week and prefer the overall feel and shootability of the M and P. My next 9mm Production gun is probably going to be a M and P Pro, not a Glock.

Edited by blaster113

"*... this!!!" What is that all about? I'm not hating on the M and P, just an opinion about overall consumer interest in a metal frame for the gun at this very moment in time. I dont have an issue with improvements for the M and P as I think its a great damn pistol.

Glock slide bite? never heard of any complaints about that. For the record I have a Glock in a holster 40-70 hours a week and prefer the overall feel and shootability of the M and P. My next 9mm Production gun is probably going to be a M and P Pro, not a Glock.

Sorry that first post was made from my phone and it reads a little funny

The "^..this was Agreeing with the statement that you made about the current interest for a metal frame.... The second part of the post was for the OP ... Saying that the glock metal frames basically made glock more comfortable to shoot so to say... But the m&p is already comfortable and doesnt really have any of the issues that some people have with the Glocks.. So I was asking what would the advantages of the metal frame be...

Anyways "Glock bite" is pretty common lots of people have an issue with having too high of a grip or having giant gorilla hands (myself).. And getting the meat above the web of the thumb torn up by the slide..

Edited by razerok1

I don't know how you'd do with this because I have no complaints about the S&W frame. I think you'd need to have something that would make it desirable. I don't think you could make one without a replaceable strap as that's a pretty desired feature. In my case, I think you'd need to offer some desirable feature other than just a weight advantage unless it completely mimicked the existing frame plus the additional weight and then I think you'd run into patent infringement issues.

Just make a brass back strap insert. I'd buy it.

Now there's an idea. I'd probably buy one too.

I hold the patent, but have no manufacturing capability. I'd be willing to let someone produce my idea for a small licensing fee. :devil:

Just make a brass back strap insert. I'd buy it.

Now there's an idea. I'd probably buy one too.

I hold the patent, but have no manufacturing capability. I'd be willing to let someone produce my idea for a small licensing fee. :devil:

A couple years ago we looked at making the grip inserts out of Aluminum but when we finished figuring we didn't think anyone would be willing to pony up 115-140 bucks for just a grip insert with no real advantage.

The dismal track record of the Glock metal frames probably wouldnt help get people flocking to your doors to buy a metal M&P frame, One of the things that makes the M&P and Glock work without a lot of professional hand fitting is the give of the polymer frame.

wowowow, that much?

Aluminum wouldn't make sense, gotta be brass, or tungsten(which I'm sure would be a ton of $$$)

Yep, machine time on a $100k 5 axis machining center ain't cheap, not to mention the material....

wowowow, that much?

Aluminum wouldn't make sense, gotta be brass, or tungsten(which I'm sure would be a ton of $$$)

Yep, machine time on a $100k 5 axis machining center ain't cheap, not to mention the material....

I'm just gonna take the grip off and pour some melted lead in the back of the frame. Wish me luck!

:sight:

wowowow, that much?

I'm just gonna take the grip off and pour some melted lead in the back of the frame. Wish me luck!

:sight:

:roflol: If you grab it while it's still warm you should be able to shape it to your hand. :surprise:

• 5 weeks later...

As funds are limited, I have to be very picky about which gun projects I want to start. A metal frame for the M&P, especially at or under $500 would get me to whip out my wallet so fast I'd probably injure myself.

I've shot both polymer and steel framed (CCF) Glocks. Sign me up for the M&P!

I know that when the Glock metal frame came out a lot of people were having issues with the frame/locking block area. While I would be interested in buying one, I would wait a year or so until a lot of other people have bought them and put them through the test.