Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scattergun for 3-Gun?

Hotchkiss

Which brand/model of shotgun would you recommend for 3-Gun competition? I am looking for good value -- the most bang for the buck (sorry.) I would prefer hearing your recommendations for both a pump action shotgun and a semi-automatic shotgun.

From what I have read so far it seems like the Remington 870 and the corresponding Mossberg 500/590 are at or near the front for pump guns? Similarly I rarely hear anything but Benellis mentioned when it comes to semi-automatics. I love a good bargain -- that gun that's way under priced and goes unnoticed by most. Thanks.

For pumps I think there are 3 choices... the two you mentioned and the Benelli Nova. I have personally used a Mossberg (Marine IIRC) and a Nova for one match each, and I prefer the Nova, but don't think there was a great deal of difference between the two. I have no experience with the 870, but I know a few guys that used them to start out with as that is what they owned at the time.

For Semis - I agree with 45shooter, bargain doesn't fit especially in 3 gun. Most people are running Benelli M2 or the FN SLP, neither are bargains but both are worth it from the feedback on the forum. the 930's are picking up steam with supporters on the forum, but the ported barrel puts you in open. So you either have to buy a non-ported barrel or get the ports covered.

I run an old 1100 that has needed a lot to get it up and running, and I am tired of it. So I now own a Benelli M1. I picked it up off gunbroker for a steal. I think most go for around $800.

What are you looking to spend?

nothing wrong talking with the match director of you local match and seeing if he can get you with a couple other local shooter that might let you shoot their guns so you can get a feel for the gun before buying.

Matt

I paid $650 for a like new M1 Benelli. I'd call that a bargain! :)

I've used the 870 and now a Nova. No doubt about it- the Nova is the best pump gun for 3 gun. Loading is smoother, fumbles are more easily recovered, there are no sharp parts to cut fingers. Sure, it's ugly, but it works.

If you don't already have a shottie for 3 gun, don't waste your time or money buying a pump. I already had an 870 setup for zombies so I just used that the past year. Now that I have the cash to switch, I ran another guy's FN 3 weeks ago and a Benelli 2 weeks ago. They both were a world of difference compared to my 870 and easily pushed me up several places in the match. Here is a good example....with a pump you can't (ok, maybe 1% of pump shooters could) drop 2 steel in a row and then hit the 2 birds they throw. This is just one example of how you can shave 5-10 seconds off a score with an auto. Then think about a national match like Larue with 28 pieces of steel on 1 stage...that's a crapload of pumping! My 3 gun shotgun is going to be an M2.

Match Video

If you don't already have a shottie for 3 gun, don't waste your time or money buying a pump. I already had an 870 setup for zombies so I just used that the past year. Now that I have the cash to switch, I ran another guy's FN 3 weeks ago and a Benelli 2 weeks ago. They both were a world of difference compared to my 870 and easily pushed me up several places in the match. Here is a good example....with a pump you can't (ok, maybe 1% of pump shooters could) drop 2 steel in a row and then hit the 2 birds they throw. This is just one example of how you can shave 5-10 seconds off a score with an auto. Then think about a national match like Larue with 28 pieces of steel on 1 stage...that's a crapload of pumping! My 3 gun shotgun is going to be an M2.

Match Video

Don't tell that to most of the HeMan shooters I know that HAVE to use a pump, AND do it on a regular basis with 3 popper/flippers in a row... :sight:

jj

If you have to use a pump, as required to shoot in the He-Man division. I recommend the Nova. I ran a Mossberg 590 for several years as I already had it before competiting. Unlike the 870, the loading ramp of a 500/590 stays in the up position when the bolt is closed, making for an easier load. The Nova does the something similar. With the bolt closed, you push up the loading ramp once and it stays up until you work the action again. The advantage of the Nova is its huge loading port.

You can talk performance of a shotgun all you want, but in competition, it is the clock you're fighting against. And nothing eats more time than loading the shotgun. It is what makes and breaks it for most people. The Remignton 870, the Mossberg 500/590, and the Benelli Nova are all great guns with proven track records. But as for the ease of loading, the Nova stands out the best.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

Match Video

Don't tell that to most of the HeMan shooters I know that HAVE to use a pump, AND do it on a regular basis with 3 popper/flippers in a row... :sight:

jj

I've seen He-Man shooters work a pump as if it was a semi. They use the recoil to help pull the chager back and then push it forward to get back to the same line of sight they had before.

+1 to the mossberg 930. After doing some of the work myself, I have less than $700 wrapped up in my complete shotgun.

Another alternative that hasn't been mentioned is the Winchester SX2/SX3. They can be found cheaper than the FN's, but run just as good and are just as easy to upgrade.

Wow, thanks for the excellent inputs. I don't compete in formal 3-Gun matches -- at least not yet. I use an 870 for the informal matches my friends that I shoot. Not wanting to beat the heck out of a treasured 870 (my first gun ever) is the reason I am looking for a replacement.

I do want to consider the classes should I compete in a real match in the future. It seems for pumps it's the 870/500/590 and Nova. I just shouldered a Nova last night and I can see how it would facilitate easier re-loads. For a S/A it seems to be Benelli-only although I have head good things about the Mossberg 930 on other forums.

At the risk of being laughed at, I am curious as to why the Browning A-5/Remington Model 11 are not used by budget-minded recreational shooters on a tight budget? These guns can be found for very little money. They are easily to set-up, cycle just fine with a shorter barrel and they are bombproof. Then again they are heavy I suppose and not the easiest to reload...

Thanks again...

Edited by Hotchkiss

Match Video

jj

I've seen He-Man shooters work a pump as if it was a semi. They use the recoil to help pull the chager back and then push it forward to get back to the same line of sight they had before.

That's exactly I included the 1%!!!!

Now I have an SLP as I got it for a good price and was looking for a gas gun that my wife could shoot regularly. She doesnt care much for the 870 that we have.

Have only shot one 3-gun and it was more of a fun shoot than a hardcore serious shoot. And the wife did well with the SLP in that shoot.

Why are the SLP's considered a good gun for matches?

You want a shotgun that has chokes. I shoot a 590 and the IC is a real problem. Not getting enough pellets on target with a sticky texas star, or a poorly adjusted popper sucks. You end up trying to make up for it with bigger pellets and heavier dram equivilant loads, but what you really need, is a choke.

Wow, thanks for the excellent inputs. I don't compete in formal 3-Gun matches -- at least not yet. I use an 870 for the informal matches my friends that I shoot. Not wanting to beat the heck out of a treasured 870 (my first gun ever) is the reason I am looking for a replacement.

I do want to consider the classes should I compete in a real match in the future. It seems for pumps it's the 870/500/590 and Nova. I just shouldered a Nova last night and I can see how it would facilitate easier re-loads. For a S/A it seems to be Benelli-only although I have head good things about the Mossberg 930 on other forums.

At the risk of being laughed at, I am curious as to why the Browning A-5/Remington Model 11 are not used by budget-minded recreational shooters on a tight budget? These guns can be found for very little money. They are easily to set-up, cycle just fine with a shorter barrel and they are bombproof. Then again they are heavy I suppose and not the easiest to reload...

Thanks again...

I am just getting into the shotgun/3-gun game and after asking around most people said a good *entry level* semi on the cheap was a Remington 1100/11-87. I also was told that the drawback was the little silver button on the loading gate that you have to press to put in a shell. The reload times on them stink because of that little silver button. I picked up a well cared for used 1964 1100 for cheap and have dropped about $100.00 on it in a 5 round Choate mag ext (total of 9+1 rounds), fiber optic sight, oversized bolt handle and a DMW easy loader. I am looking at putting on a polymer stock with a recoil pad in the near future because the forend has a crack in it. All told I have about $325.00 tied up in it and it runs like a top with any ammo I toss at it.

That being said, what others have said about buying a good one once also stands very true. My first 3-gun match I borrowed a friends Benelli and I have to say that it just works, and works well. It also points well and it is easy to come back for the next shot. It also loads *very* fast and easy, faster than my 1100. If I had the money to do it I would buy a tricked out Benelli in a heartbeat and keep my 1100 as a backup/beater gun.

Edited by Classic_jon

Now I have an SLP as I got it for a good price and was looking for a gas gun that my wife could shoot regularly. She doesnt care much for the 870 that we have.

Have only shot one 3-gun and it was more of a fun shoot than a hardcore serious shoot. And the wife did well with the SLP in that shoot.

Why are the SLP's considered a good gun for matches?

The SLP is the 2nd best semi auto for 3 gun. Shoot it with pride and confidence.