Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best "how-to" reload book

gmg

I wasn't sure which topic to put this under so mods may move if appropriate. I am currenly reloading pistol ammo and some .223 ammo but would like to become more knowledgeable about reloading rifle ammo. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good easy to understand but thorough book on reloading. thanks in advance.

Many reloading books are from specific manufacturers of either equipment or power, as such they are not well rounded books. Also, reloading is such a broad subject that it's hard to find something that is both general and detailed. And pistol reloading is a dawdle compared to rifle.

If you want something pertinent to rifle, then you probably need to narrow your search a bit. Are you talking about reloading for carbines or for precision rifle or bench rest or F-Class or hunting or what?

If you want something generic to start with that still has some good information on the concepts involved, I like the book "The ABC's of Reloading". It's been through a couple different revisions so I can't say what the current version is, but you can find it new on Amazon.com or used at ABEBooks.com

the ABC book is very good. i have that and the speer reloading manual which has some good info.

also being a new reloader the video for the 650 helped me get running with no problems

Most any manual from the major bullet manufacturers will cover almost evrything you would "need" to know.

"Precision Shooting: Reloading Guide" Book Edited by Dave Brennan is $16.99 from MidwayUSA.

Many reloading books are from specific manufacturers of either equipment or power, as such they are not well rounded books. Also, reloading is such a broad subject that it's hard to find something that is both general and detailed. And pistol reloading is a dawdle compared to rifle.

If you want something pertinent to rifle, then you probably need to narrow your search a bit. Are you talking about reloading for carbines or for precision rifle or bench rest or F-Class or hunting or what?

If you want something generic to start with that still has some good information on the concepts involved, I like the book "The ABC's of Reloading". It's been through a couple different revisions so I can't say what the current version is, but you can find it new on Amazon.com or used at ABEBooks.com

+1 All that you can get your hands on, to cross reference between your load data per caliber you are reloading for. I own atleast 4 hard copys and printed al I can find on the internet of the powders I used, start ALWAYS @ your starting loads suggested and you will be fine.good luck and be safe.. :cheers:

Edited by MARKAVELI

Just keep in mind that there is a huge difference between books on reloading and load books. Many of the manuals made by the manufactures are primarily load books and have some information on loading in general and a whole lot on loads using their powders. Load books used to be a must but most of that information is now available from the manufacturers web site and it a whole lot more up-to-date.

For example, when I decided to research shotgun reloading last year, I followed the general advice and got the Lyman reloading book. It gave me a little information on Lyman reloading equipment, a little on reloading in general, but a good 2/3 of the book was load data.

Edited by Graham Smith

Best book is no book. Honestly the book is great as a point reference, but loading is something that is hard to describe in writing. The way I learned, and the way I think everyone should start out is find a friend, buddy, neighbor, whomever that is experienced in loading and teach you hands on.

Best book is no book. Honestly the book is great as a point reference, but loading is something that is hard to describe in writing. The way I learned, and the way I think everyone should start out is find a friend, buddy, neighbor, whomever that is experienced in loading and teach you hands on.

+1. And, start very slowly, with light loads.

Verify Everything, and then Verify it again.

Big problem is use of Powder Measure and OAL -

if you make a mistake with either, you can be

in trouble Fast.

Powder - measure ten loads into pan, and weigh

them all, divide by ten - don't try to measure

one load.

OAL - easy to confuse 1.169" and 1.69", and

they are Very Different.

Make sure you have powder in each and Every

case !!!

I use a powder measure as a starting point,

and then shoot a few over a chrono - if I

made a mistake with the powder measure, it

will show up at the chrono .

Check fired primers for over pressure signs.

Don't mix up your powders !!

Start slow and low - take it easy on the

velocities until you're experienced, and

checked the velocity with a chrono.

Have fun.

Jack

The best book is several books!!!

Lyman has a good reloading manual with discussion of the topic. I recommend several because each approaches it slightly differently and you will find errors (differences) as compare the material.

I'm kinda surprised that only two responders mentioned Lyman's.

I think Lyman's 49th edition(the latest one) is the best.

It has over 100 pages on how-to & over 300 pages of recipes.

It has data for a wide variety of bullets & calibers.

Many of the others - Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler etc, etc

only have data for their own bullets.

Another great "manual" is the powder company's websites.

They each have a nice reloading data section.

You just have to figure out how to use it, cuz they're all different in design & function.