Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Durakote or Cerakote

STIGUY

Would like to get a Rem 700 Stainless coated to add some corrosion potesction and to "darken' for hunting purposes. What is the best for durability and wear resistent purposes? Really would like to get this done locally and not worry about the sending the gun "out" for this. THANKS

In my experience Cerakote has worked way better. I have a slide finished in Durakote and it hasn't held up very well; a different slide finished in Cerakote seems virtually scratch proof. I know it could of had to do with who did the work but my experiance with Durakote makes me not want to go that route again. My Glock Slide done in Titanium Cerakote looks great and is really holding up well.

I would suggest taking a look at Greg Ballard's website, WWW.ontargetcustoms.net

He has done some painting for me and us an ffl holder so shipping directly to him is not a problem. Just look at the rifles and such he has in his website for some of his work.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I have been using Cerakote (Oven Cure) for the last two years with over 100 applications to shotguns and pistols and it is an excellent coating. I have found that not every color has the same durability, some have the same wear resistance as Durakote, which isn't very good.

Graphite Black, Sniper Grey, Smith & Wesson Red and Stainless Steel have excellent wear resistance and these are my primary colors. I am sure there are many more which are durable, I just haven't had the need to use them or try them yet. I have not had good luck with some of the desert and OD Green Colors.

Jack Travers

JT Engineering

• 1 month later...

I have a gun in Graphite Black CeraKote (oven cure).

I've noticed that like painting wood, sharp edges don't hold well. On mine, the front edge of the slide just past the bushing is wearing from dry fire practice. The rest of it seems to be fine.

If I ever get it redone, I'll have to break that edge and look for any others first.

Of the two you listed cerekote is definitely stronger, and handles heat and chemical exposure better.

Though my personal favorite is molly resin. No mixing, tough as nails and very easy to apply.