Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What drives your decision on which division to shoot?

I have started shooting production but using my Glock 35. I tried limited with no mag well or anything just so I could load my mags to capicity. I use my Black Hawk locking serpa holster and mag pouches. Just over a year ago I didn't even own a gun. I have not shot that many matches but i like limited better and am gettin better suited equipment as my budget allows. I would love an open gun or even a 2011 limited gun but I fear my budget will never allow it... So, I guess I shoot limited because that is what I can afford...

:cheers:

I shoot production largely due to the relatively low cost of equipment and 9mm components.

Some day I plan to get into Limited, but promised myself I would at least make A class before starting to cross-train divisions.

I personally think everyone should try each division,each division is a whole different game completely. Sometimes shooting other divisions will help you get better in your primary division that you shoot. I love shooting limited, I took a 2 year stint shooting open and loved it. When I picked up the limited gun, I was shooting it like an open gun. My actions were more aggressive, in which I just carried the open mentality over to my limited game.

When choosing a division for your primary, you should look at yourself. your Mental, physical ability, your body type. Example: If you have poor eyesight, you probably don't want to shoot iron sights. If you are not really fast on your feet, you probably don't want to shoot open. If you have quick hands, and good eyesight, you may look at an iron sighted division, with lots of reloads. Some people are better and are more suited in a different division, but they will never know unless they try it.

But it really comes down to what you want! If you don't care about the match scores and you just want to shoot, then shoot what you got and have fun.

I have a different view of things. When people ask about shooting fast or shooting accurate, I say I try to shoot as fast as I can in a match because… I can shoot slow any time. The chances to shoot fast are rare. Same for reloads, some hate them but to me that's what makes it fun, reloading fast and a lot is something I don't do in "normal" shooting, so I enjoy it in a match. Reloads are the best part of shooting revolver, I hate "revolver friendly" matches.

As for which divisions… I will never be considered a "serious shooter" because it's rare that I shoot more than two matches in a row with the same gun. Dedication and practice? Phooey. I enjoy this too much to turn it into work.

Edited by cas

I am classified in every division except revolver.

Each division has something unique to offer, and I like them all for different reasons.

I am primarily a limited shooter but I think that most of us are experimenters.

We like to try different things and see what works.

For reasons I can't explain I am drawn to Single Stack.

I think it is the purist in me that causes me to want to drag out the 45 and blow king size holes in targets.

Perhaps the fact that my 1911 is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned has something to do with the attraction.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get used to the high, tight and back gun placement that is required in Single Stack.

If they'd let me use a DOH I'd probably shoot it more.

However, no matter what I play about with, I always come home to limited.

This is where I'm most comfortable and the division I shoot best.

That race gun rig is like slipping into an old pair of comfortable jeans and your favorite tennis shoes.

It just feels right. wub.gif

I carry a G17 or 23 in the car, so it is foolish to not shoot one in competition...with the no major/minor at Ft Benning 6 years ago decided to shoot a 9...started with a G17 and finally a G34... I'm an old fart so not winning is not a problem... wish USPSA would change the Production rules to allow any magazine... I shoot Limited minor...

I want to shoot against the best, but I don't like comps and Red-dots on pistols. That leaves Limited. It is a greater accomplishment to get 6th or 7th when there are 6 to 9 GMs/Ms than to get 1st when there is an A, maybe a few Bs and lower in Limited 10 or SS. We have some good local shooters in all classes, and Production is competitve, but I want to measure against the top GMs. The 6 or so GMs are usually in Lim/Open, once is a while, the other divisions, but not consistently. Same reason I shoot Tac-Scope in 3G/MG.

If I shot in an area with no GMs, I might do something different.

Fun and enjoyment drive my decision to what division to shoot.

I find an ironsighted high cap pistol the most fun so naturaly prefer limited pistol.

I also prefer a .223 AR and auto shotgun to a. 308 or pump. And love a nice scope. So tac optics it is.

Edited by mpeltier

I had a good run at Production recently, very fun. Shot it to improve my classification and shot quite a few matches including a few majors. It's like single stack but with less recoil. SS is also fun because I enjoy the 8 round stage break down. My 1911 fits my hand like nothing else. I used to shoot Limited a lot too, haven't shot it in over a year though. I'm looking forward to shooting the fatty again, it will be weird to go 20 rounds nonstop.

For IDPA, my choice is based on goal of making master in the 3 semi auto divisions (I don't have the desire to shoot a revolver). I've made it in ESP and SSP and am presently working on CDP, so I plan on shooting it until I make Master, or get burned out with it.

For USPSA, I am just starting out, so I go with Production since the gun and round counts are familiar. I have a limited gun and do plan to shoot it, eventually...