Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Meopta ZD 1-4x24 now available

Can anyone say how big the dot is? If it's as big as it looks, that's a big fail. One of the greatest things about the Meaopta to me was the tiny 1MOA dot.

In an e-mail from Meaopta I was told it was a 2 min. dot. Is it 1 or 2? Anyone know for sure?

Gary

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a range report on this yet ?? I have one but have not had the chance to shoot it yet - I am interested in seeing how the BDC chevrons will act for different ranges if I zero the centre dot at other ranges e.g 200m, or 50m.

I just would like a 100m, 200m and 300m aiming point, as there is a big space between 100m dot and the 300m chevron, it lacks the 200m which is a shame there isnt a tiny dot there to mark 200m.

Thanks

If you zero at 100, (like anyone would actually do that!) the drop at 200 is a scant 2" now you could put a dot there or a silly little chevron or cross hair, but you would end up with a dot with a dot sooooo close to it that it would be useless and then you couldn't find the center of the dot you are using, Just like the reticle in a TA-01. The two cross hairs are so close together you can't see either very well, nor the center of either, making it one of the busiest reticles ever, but perhapse the drop between 100 and 200 is far different in England than in the U.S.

I just want to know that if you zero it center of dot at 250 (top is 200 and bottom is 300)If the chevrons will support a 400 and 500 poa, poi. But it doesn't really matter to me all that much cause I already know where to hold at those ranges with irons. :devil: KurtM

Crazy Muggins..... thats why I love ya........

A certain line from Pulp Fiction springs to mind......

Thanks mate, and yes an English 100m to 200m distance set is different to a yankee 100m to 200m, but almost the same as a Southern 100m to 200m......

I sent them an email asking about the dimensions of the reticle but haven't gotten a response. So I took it out and set a target at 100 yards. I then shot groups using the dot and the 3 holdover marks. I then measured the distance between the group fired using the dot and the groups fired using the holdover marks.

The first mark yielded a group 4" high. The second mark formed a group about 7" high. The third mark gave a group about 12" high. It would be great if anyone else could confirm those numbers?

If I run the numbers for a 100 yard zero with a 55gr bullet that looks like the holdover marks would be close to right for 300,400 and 500 yards.

If you zero at 100, (like anyone would actually do that!) the drop at 200 is a scant 2" now you could put a dot there or a silly little chevron or cross hair, but you would end up with a dot with a dot sooooo close to it that it would be useless and then you couldn't find the center of the dot you are using, Just like the reticle in a TA-01. The two cross hairs are so close together you can't see either very well, nor the center of either, making it one of the busiest reticles ever, but perhapse the drop between 100 and 200 is far different in England than in the U.S.

I just want to know that if you zero it center of dot at 250 (top is 200 and bottom is 300)If the chevrons will support a 400 and 500 poa, poi. But it doesn't really matter to me all that much cause I already know where to hold at those ranges with irons. :devil: KurtM

I think it will be close Kurt. I ran some quick numbers using a 55gr. NBT @ 3000fps. A rep at Meopta told me the reticle is designed for a 55gr. bullet and a 100m zero. Chevrons are poa/poi at 300, 400 and 500m. I don't know the velocity they used so my numbers may be off. However, using my NBT at 3000fps, this works out to roughly 4.5moa between the dot and the first chevron, 8.3moa to the next chevron and 13.4moa to the last chevron.

If you plug in a 250yard zero you'd be 1.1moa high at 200 and 1.3moa low at 300. As the dot is 2moa you would essentially be on at 200 using the top of the dot and on at 300 with bottom of the dot. From there it would be:

1st chevron, 4.5moa = 397 yards

2nd chevron, 8.3moa = 490 yards

3rd chevron, 13.4moa = 589 yards

Obviously folks would need to test this with their load, rifle, and at their location but it looks like it will be pretty close. A little more velocity will get you closer. If I'm way off here, someone please point it out. Just felt like messing with the numbers to see if Kurt's idea may work.

Nick-

Thanks Nick. That is how I use the regular K-Dot. Top is 200 and bottom is 300, I have found the top of my bottom post to be 400, and center the target in the lower stadia hair is 500. I might have to give this a try...with Mike.45's scope when he gets here. :roflol:

I just heard back from Meopta on the spacing of the holdover marks from the center of the dot.

At 4x they are as follows:

First Mark 4.58 MOA

Second Mark 7.98 MOA

Third Mark 12.11 MOA

The holdover marks themselves are 1.9 MOA tall.

Any other feedback on these? I'm really interested in one of these to replace my TR24 just to get the BDC feature. I'm very happy with the TR24 except for lack of any BDC. I really can't justify the Swarovski 1-6 because of the price even though it really impressed me at the SHOT show. It sounds like the Meopta has great glass, is very durable and pretty good daytime ill.

Thanks for any input

I shot mine this weekend at the CCC monthly match and it worked out really well. The 2 MOA dot was perfect for the barricade work and stuff 200 yards in while the BDC was spot on out to 500. Everyone who looked through it was really impressed and I got a couple "i'm buying one monday"s

i spoke to a dealer today that said they are holding off shipping these until they get a potential issue worked out, something about the reticle moving.. anyone else here anything??

I bought one and it appeared to me that the chevrons under the dot were progressively drifted to the right. I leveled the scope and ran the reticle against a straight edge and the chevrons were not centered under the dot, IMO. The bottom chevron being the furthest to the right. I sent it to Meopta and got a quick call back confirming my observation. Unfortunately, he said all the other optics he had on hand appears to have the same issue w/ the reticle. The c/s rep was responsive and seemed to understand the problem.. He said he was going to test the reticle for poi and get with technical folks to investigate further. I've not heard back for over 2 weeks. Nick-

this is ridiculous... The scope has no positive lead for the battery (that is not the part i am upset about), when i called to get it switched out, i have to pay for shipping!!!! so i get a defective scope and i have to pay for the shipping to get it back to them... i figured if you drop a grand on a scope i would get better service...

this is ridiculous... The scope has no positive lead for the battery (that is not the part i am upset about), when i called to get it switched out, i have to pay for shipping!!!! so i get a defective scope and i have to pay for the shipping to get it back to them... i figured if you drop a grand on a scope i would get better service...

I would have escalated that until they agreed to send me a shipping tag. That's bullcrap. It aint like a warranty issue - it was defective out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have escalated that until they agreed to send me a shipping tag. That's bullcrap. It aint like a warranty issue - it was defective out of the box.

Does anyone know who has these in stock?