Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Glock to 1911..

hankfan79

I have been working on this transition as well. For me, the magic was in the arched main spring housing with a short trigger. I purchased the Colt polymer arched mainspring houseing for about $10. World of difference! Just shot a match last weekend in USPSA single stack MINOR with my Trojan 9mm with the new set-up. The GUN shot 90% of the open and limited guys shooting MAJOR. HUGE difference!

Lot's of folks shoot the flat msh. Lot's of folks shoot the arched msh. The arched works for me. A $10 part is worth trying.

The Zitta "Wedge" mainspring housing makes my STI point up very close to where my Glocks point. You have to modify the outside/bottom to slip a magwell up & over that MSH. It raises the muzzle "about" twice as much as an arched MSH.

I imagine you'd see a similar result with the wedge-shaped 1911 MSH, I think one of them was sold as the "Riser". They don't interchange, the STI models are longer with a ramp cut on the inside/bottom.

Also, wait & see before undercutting the trigger-guard for your strong-hand knuckle. For me & many other people, that drops the point of a pistol.

I have always run an arched mainspring for the same reason, it brought me closer to the grip angle of the Glock which I started with. However recently I have found that going back to the Glock I am actually nowhere near being able to index it, the Glock now points really high for me so I've started playing with flat mainspring and find I am right on with it and the angle of my finger to the trigger is better, I can pull the trigger straight back better than with the arched.

The arched MSH makes it slightly tougher to operate the grip safety if it's functional.

That's supposing your gun has a grip safety... :lol:

I shot with a G34/G35 for several years before switching to a 2011 this year. For me, I flat mainspring housing seems to work best, but I have small hands (size 7 glove). I think that if you spend enough time with the 1911, you will adjust to it easily. The hardest thing when switching from a Glock to the 1911/2011 is remembering to disengage the thumb safety before pulling the trigger.

Mike

For me the hardest things switching to the 1911 from the glock was sight tracking and recoil control. The 1911 type pistols are more flippy than the glocks (for me anyway). The 1911's were a little softer from being heavier, but recoil was a bit wild for whatever reason.

There is a 3rd option: Wilson V-grip.

I had considered switching to one when I was transitioning to 1911's from a Glock, but decided to go to CZ's before I got a chance to try one, FWIW seemed like a fair option worth looking at.

My primary is a Glock 35 but I will on occasion shoot my 1911 which has a flat MSH. As noted above my only real issue is the removal of the safety during the draw. I do not have a big problem with it because the high thumb grip I use with my Glock wants to rest on the safety of the 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from shooting a Glock to a 1911 this year and didn't really have any trouble adapting. The 1911 felt heavy and very weird in my hand at first. But like someone else has stated, I have learned to leave my Glock alone and focus on the 1911. My biggest learning curve was hitting the slide release during reloads. With the Glock, I used my strong hand thumb, with the 1911, I use my weekhand thumb. Also, I also tried the arched MSH(borrowed from Bhm friend) and didn't see any benefit.

I have a more difficult time hitting the Grip Safety when riding the Thumb Safety if I have an Arched MSH.

Yeah, the arched housing holds the heel of the hand further to the rear than the flat housing. I can get the grip safety on a 1911 with an arched housing sensitized to the point it will reliably disengage, every time, but it takes a LOT more work than with a flat housing.

Bummer. There are reasons that's the technique that most seriously skilled shooters use.

Personally I have no problem switching between 1911 and Glock and doing a support hand thumb slide release, but then I do have, um, a bit of time spent on both designs. :lol: