Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield loaded FTE live rounds

justmike

I recently purchased a springfield loaded and it is my first 1911. The pistol will not extract live rounds reliably. At first I thought it was the dummy loads I had made but tried it with 2 different types of factory ammo and it does the same thing. It will pull the round all the way out of the chamber but won't clear the ejection port. The round is still in the extractor then gets lodged in the ejection port. Do I have a extractor/ejector problem? It's driving me crazy.

It will do it with 230gr LRN loaded at 1.260, 200 SWC loaded to 1.230 and with factory Remington/Federal 230 RN. Do the length of my rounds seem long?

You are not alone...

My Trophy Match will not eject a live round, factory or reloads.

I've thought about shortening the MIM ejector, but it ejects cases great.

I'm going to wait till it breaks, then address the issue.

Just be careful at ULSC, You don't want an in the chamber detonation.

I have heard of other Springfields with the same problem...

That makes me feel a little better.....I'm going to contact Springfield Monday and see what they will do about it. I thought I was getting something when I bought a Springfield. Should have saved about $150 and bought a Spartan.

That makes me feel a little better.....I'm going to contact Springfield Monday and see what they will do about it. I thought I was getting something when I bought a Springfield. Should have saved about $150 and bought a Spartan.

Springfield armory has great customer suport.. They will pay your shipping and return your gun in a week two weeks tops..

The Spartan is a great gun, but the extra 150 are well spent on high quality life time warranty that Springfield gives their customers..

Belive me they will make it right..

Let us know what they say and if they fix it...Thanks!

I'll second the above post: The customer service is great. Send it in, they will go over it with a fine tooth comb.

My loaded shot about 2" low at 25 yards. They refit the slide to frame, put in a new barrel, gave it a nice trigger job ( I mentioned in the call I thought it was a bit heavy :devil:), then decided it was a front sight issue and replaced that last. I feel I basically got a custom shop gun at a loaded price. Got it back in 10 days, great service!

Give them a call!

This may sound like a lame question but is the gun lubed well?

When I purchased my SA 1911 loaded I had a hard time with reliable feeding/cycling at the range. Someone lubed it up and it shot without any issues going forward..... Since then I have kept it lubed and no issues.

Just my little .02

:cheers:

Thanks to all who replied. Yes it is well lubed. I haven't had a single issue aside from the extraction issue. I'll call Tuesday and see how it goes. I've had a string of bad luck with pistols. I bought a CZ P07 Duty a couple of months ago and it had to go right back.

I think it is a pretty common issue and the longer the ammo is the more likely it will be a problem.

Some gunsmiths will relieve the front of the ejection port because of this issue.

Also a shock buffer may make this worse.

Greg

My Trophy Match won't eject my reloads if I go slow. I have to get the round moving fast for it to pop them out. I would say the ejectors are a bit long or the extractor a hair, just a hair, to tight. Then again the factory expects the guns to be ejecting spent cases not live rounds :roflol:

I had the same problem with a para 745. I removed a small amount of metal from the front of the ejection port problem solved. I flied a small amount tryed cycling then removed a little more till I got what I wanted reblued it. took about a half hour.

My Trophy Match won't eject my reloads if I go slow. I have to get the round moving fast for it to pop them out. I would say the ejectors are a bit long or the extractor a hair, just a hair, to tight. Then again the factory expects the guns to be ejecting spent cases not live rounds :roflol:

I think I going to try this myself 1 at a time and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

I think I going to try this myself 1 at a time and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

Don't be shy to send it to springfield..

They will take care of any problem for you fast and for free.

They warranty is so good that it is not worth voiding by working on it your self, or having some one else work on it.

Seriously this guys are no bs they will take care of you.

Cheers,

Los

I had the same problem with a para 745. I removed a small amount of metal from the front of the ejection port problem solved. I flied a small amount tryed cycling then removed a little more till I got what I wanted reblued it. took about a half hour.

You should have shortened the ejector instead.

Pat

Id shorten the ejector slightly or check the extractor tension, but if the gun runs fine just shoot it, Ive never had to unload a live round on the clock.

Just a terminology fyi, your failures are failure to eject, not failure to extract. Your gun is extracting fine, the act of pulling the round or brass from the chamber is extraction, throwing it out the ejection port is ejection.

Id shorten the ejector slightly or check the extractor tension, but if the gun runs fine just shoot it, Ive never had to unload a live round on the clock.

Just a terminology fyi, your failures are failure to eject, not failure to extract. Your gun is extracting fine, the act of pulling the round or brass from the chamber is extraction, throwing it out the ejection port is ejection.

I want to use the gun for steel matches we have locally and after every stage I have to eject a live round. Its not on the clock but I don't want to pry the round out of the extractor on the firing line. Thank you to everyone for the info. I've went back and forth and will just send it back. thanks again MIke

You should have shortened the ejector instead.

Pat

It runs great now with any OAL ammo. Sounds like you made a good choice Mike.