Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP LMOS carrier

MickB

With a good muzzle brake already in place and a standard CAR buffer, is there any extra benefit to using a JP Low Mass bolt carrier without the adjustable gas block?

Mick

Another option is the Young MFG SLC(super light carrier). The nice thing about the Young MFG is you can just give them a call first, then drive over (35th Ave, North of Thomas) and pick it up. Damn, I sure love PHX. Nothing against JP, I just like to keep it local when I can. It is a touch heavier then the JP LMOS but I just put one in a 16" midlength gas build, no adjustable gas with Nordic Corvette Comp and it doesn't even move. This is with a normal weight rifle buffer, I haven't tried it with the JP buffer yet.

Yes. I believe there is just as much benefit with the LMOS carrier as there is a good muzzle brake. You don't necessarily need the LMOS buffer if you're running a CAR buffer.

Ditto!

I've been running 16" rifles at around 6 pounds this year set-up exactly that way with a Nordic Corvette. Very flat.

With a good muzzle brake already in place and a standard CAR buffer, is there any extra benefit to using a JP Low Mass bolt carrier without the adjustable gas block?

Mick

Yes.

However, the combination of good brake + LMOS carrier really shines when you can tune the gas system to match, especially in a 16" carbine. Fortunately, an adjustable gas block is the cheapest part the whole deal so if you already sprung $ for a LMOS carrier, might as well go all the way ;)

Mick

Yes.

However, the combination of good brake + LMOS carrier really shines when you can tune the gas system to match, especially in a 16" carbine. Fortunately, an adjustable gas block is the cheapest part the whole deal so if you already sprung $ for a LMOS carrier, might as well go all the way ;)

I'm debating the usefulness of the adjustable gas block when some of us train with plinker ammo and use something different for matches. I'm certain tuning the gas block could make a noticeable difference but it seems like you lose some versatility.

I'm debating the usefulness of the adjustable gas block when some of us train with plinker ammo and use something different for matches. I'm certain tuning the gas block could make a noticeable difference but it seems like you lose some versatility.

On a 16" gun with mid-length gas and a gas port of a reasonable size, there is not much gas to tune. I'd much rather keep some reliability and tune my loads a little bit.

Never thought of Young's and didn't know they were in Phoenix!

I'll be picking up one of their Super light carriers tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Mick

Another option is the Young MFG SLC(super light carrier). The nice thing about the Young MFG is you can just give them a call first, then drive over (35th Ave, North of Thomas) and pick it up. Damn, I sure love PHX. Nothing against JP, I just like to keep it local when I can. It is a touch heavier then the JP LMOS but I just put one in a 16" midlength gas build, no adjustable gas with Nordic Corvette Comp and it doesn't even move. This is with a normal weight rifle buffer, I haven't tried it with the JP buffer yet.

I've got an 18" Intermediate length gas Noveske Bbl that I run with a standard rifle buffer in a PRS stock. If I dropped in a low mass carrier, can I expect it to be reliable without the adjustable gas block?

I've got an 18" Intermediate length gas Noveske Bbl that I run with a standard rifle buffer in a PRS stock. If I dropped in a low mass carrier, can I expect it to be reliable without the adjustable gas block?

Should be if all else is working properly. I would recomend also lightening the buffer for best effect. And use quality ammo. Watch for extraction issues as you lighten it up. If the case heads show signs of bieng overworked a tad, add weight back to the buffer a little at a time.

For those with rifle length gas the adjustable gas block works great with consistant ammo and proper adjustment. Most every issue I have seen with them was ammo/adjustment related or an improperly set setscrew that backed in or out. If you use a lot of differant brands (as in whatever is on sale) of ammo a standard gas block would serve you best.