Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Better Glock Magwell?

mattmcg

I have a JP magwell on a G17 and have always been unhappy with the little lip that is left. It would seem easy enough to build a little ramp into the back channel insert to solve this problem.

Gmagwell.jpg

So I'm looking for a better magwell and need recommendations.

Questions:

1. This is an older JP magwell. Have they started ramping the insert?

2. I like the Dawson ICE but had problems in the past with not being able to seat standard mags w/o the extended baseplates. I would like the gun to run with both standard mags and mags with extenders so I believe that rules out Dawson unless they have updated their design.

3. Any other magwells that offer a smoother funnel and allow seating of standard mags?

I have a JP magwell on a G17 and have always been unhappy with the little lip that is left. It would seem easy enough to build a little ramp into the back channel insert to solve this problem.

Gmagwell.jpg

So I'm looking for a better magwell and need recommendations.

Questions:

1. This is an older JP magwell. Have they started ramping the insert?

2. I like the Dawson ICE but had problems in the past with not being able to seat standard mags w/o the extended baseplates. I would like the gun to run with both standard mags and mags with extenders so I believe that rules out Dawson unless they have updated their design.

3. Any other magwells that offer a smoother funnel and allow seating of standard mags?

The only other magwell that I know of is the SJC. However, it is really deep and some of their magwells don't allow the STD baseplates to seat as where others did. Seems like a inconsistency issue.

I currently have the JP and don't like it either. I think I'll be moving to the Dawson ICE in the next few weeks.

Dave Dawson built the better mousetrap. Usually takes a little "force" at the toe to seat correctly. I spent $ on a bunch of others. Dawson on both Open and Limited Glocks now for many moons.

I just put the IDPA legal version of the Dawson ICE on my G35. Works great with factory base pads and the Dawson extended ones. I have Dawson Magwells on teo 1911's too and really like them; they give my support hand pinky a consistant home

The delrin inserts for the Dawson Ice magwells are replaceable correct? Do they just come in white or do they have a black insert as well?

Blcksmk

Mine is black, and yes it is replaceable.

Edited by Kevin Holman

The delrin inserts for the Dawson Ice magwells are replaceable correct? Do they just come in white or do they have a black insert as well?

Blcksmk

Mine is black, and yes it is replaceable.

Guess I'll be ordering a DP Magwell next then!