Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So who else has the new Apex sear and trigger on order?

waktasz

I have the Comp AEK on my M&P9L that I use for 3 Gun. It didn't take long to get used to it and I really like it (I like the shorter reset and 3 lb trigger pull compared to stock). However, I've ordered the $159 FSS Kit and will give it a try as well. I have larger hands and I think the shape of the trigger alone will be an improvement. I am also getting a 2011 9mm, so it will probably help to have a similar trigger pull/feel with both guns.

Hate to sound stupid, but how is a sear an external modification???? Does the trigger look different than the stock one?

While it is labeled the FSS, it is a kit and the forward set sear allows you to use the forward set trigger. The trigger is what throws it out of SSP. I love my Apex Competetion kit in my 9 ESP gun, but I just bought a 40 Pro. I'm going to put the parts out of my 9mm frame (modified) into my 40 stock frame and the new kit into my modified frame so I can switch back slides/barrels back and forth and shoot SSP/Production with one and ESP/Limited with the other. Gotta buy the parts for one more anyhow, I just thought I'd try the new trigger/sear system.

I just wish they would ship them! I'm not just antsy, my guns need to be cleaned and I'm too lazy to tear them apart an additional time if I don't have to.

Word is they are back from the anodizer and are shipping Monday.

Just got a shipping confirmation of the FSS Kit from Apex today. With a little luck it will be here by Friday and in the 45FS (test vehicle) by that evening and I'll shooting it on Saturday. Can't wait. If it is what I hope it to be, 3 more for the other M&P's will be ordered on Monday!

Received mine today and installed it. I ended up going back to the competetion springs and it's a little heavier pull than it was before the install. I like the short travel but it's definately going to take some getting used to! The safety on mine was a little catchy initially and I thought it was going to be a real problem, but after working with it for a while, I realized that I didn't have the trigger pin in quite far enough and I guess there was some binding from that causing it. I'll go run 300 or 400 rounds through it tomorrow and plan on shooting a local USPSA match saturday morning. I'll know by then how I like it. I really like the trigger the way it was before so we'll have to see.

IMHO opinion, the RAM is definately not needed with this setup. I am wondering if they are going to make something for the new thumb safety models. It would be nice not to have deal with the trigger safety on my FS and compact.

Edited by Gary H.

Mine came also and I got it installed. IDPA match on Saturday. Nothing like untested major modifications before a match!

btw, it is awesome

Edited by waktasz

Kit is installed in my thumb safety model .40 full size. I am still trying to figure out what is forward set about this trigger ? If anything it is more to the rear than the factory trigger. Pull weight and break are good and if anything I will increase the pull weight a little more with spring changes.

Edited by P Taylor

It breaks further forward than stock...and the trigger itself is thicker so your finger is further forward...but it also starts further back because the travel is reduced so much. Whatever they call it, I like it.

Kit is installed in my thumb safety model .40 full size. I am still trying to figure out what is forward set about this trigger ? If anything it is more to the rear than the factory trigger. Pull weight and break are good and if anything I will increase the pull weight a little more with spring changes.

Nothing is forward set about the trigger. The sear allows the shot to break earlear in the trigger pull. I suppose that's why they call it the Forward Set Sear rather than the forward set trigger. On your old trigger, the sear broke after moving the trigger what seemed like forever. On this one, it should be breaking about 1/8" or less maybe (I didn't measure it) into the pull. If you have the competetion spring package in your gun, you can get a heavier trigger pull (estimated at 5 lbs.) by using the factory striker spring and the trigger return spring they supplied with the kit. To get it heavier, I have no idea.

The Apex website calls it a forward set trigger. I understood the forward set sear part and was hoping for more than expecting a longer trigger reach.

I used the supplied trigger return spring ,the supplied sear plunger spring and the supplied spring on the plunger in the slide. My M&P is a full size thumb safety model that had factory springs in it. If I understood the info right it should have ended up around 4 lbs.

The action is improved and better than the trigger kit I tried in a Glock.

Is Apex going to try and get these production legal.I`ve been wanting one since I hered they were coming out with them in Jan.I shoot production,so it`s not legal.I do not have the funds yet for M&P40 5in.Besides I cant find any!Where the hell have they all gone.Ben Stoger has bought all the Beretta Elite II.Is it somthing like that? LOL!! I digress.I had herad Randy,and the fine folks were trying to do somthing about this.Just trying to get confarmation.Sorry so long winded.

Thanx,J.B.

Last I heard they were going to try, but I haven't heard any further developments. Even if they were planning on that, it will be a while before enough get produced, and then USPSA gets notified and they become legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Last I heard they were going to try, but I haven't heard any further developments. Even if they were planning on that, it will be a while before enough get produced, and then USPSA gets notified and they become legal.

There are no quantity requirements or active "approval" process before a component can be Production-legal... it's just that the component must not affect the external appearance of the gun (which the Apex aluminum trigger obviously does). They need to find a way to get the shorter travel using the OEM trigger.

Edited by StealthyBlagga