Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead bullets for open pistol

Rye

Anybody shooting lead with open? Thanks!

Several guys I shoot with run Bootheel Bullets through their comps. They say you have to clean on a regular basis, but otherwise no problems.

BB

I've heard that a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar does a good job of cleaning stainless steel suppressors. I am just wondering how well that would work on a comp, if....IFFFF!!! the comp was stainless. any other metals ...NOT a good idea!

I have been using a locally produced, 122 gr Hard Cast Bullet,

with Solo 1000 {PF - 127) in my Steel Master.

I clean the barrel and comp after every 300 rounds.

I swab the comp with ATF ( or Pam} after cleaning.

I believe it makes comp cleanup easier.

Hope this helps

back in the day we used to run lead in open guns and the PF was then 175...didnt matter what hardness of bullet you ended up with leading in the comps, and as we noted the groups were more like 'patterns' switching to plated, the patterns got 'better' and the leading went away, so we knuckled under and ponied up the cash for true jacketed, andto be honest, ive NEVER looked backm you wanna save a nickle on the bullets??? fine...whats your time worth to clean out a comp time and time again??? now with the prices of lead and jacketed basically the same??? ill still run only jacketed thru my open guns

I shoot nothing but lead bullets in my super comp and have for years.....I'm not a GM but I am master in open and I did it with nothing but lead...It's actually very easy to keep the comp clean........I wrap the outside of the comp with plumber's teflon tape and clean the entire barrell with an Outer's Foul out II......

It get's all the lead out of the comp and barrell....and you really don't need to clean it like this but maybe every 1500 rounds or so......I usually clean my gun after every match......and I'd do that even if I shot jacketed....I'm just funny that way...

I don't know why people get down on shooting lead.......I don't really have all the smoke that people swear up and down that is choking me out and "blocking" me from seeing my dot.......That's just silly..........Honestly I don't notice it....I'm thinking about other stuff like the next target, reloading, the course etc...

Thanks... I'll try 115gr jacketed Eric.

The fmj's will also lead your comp.

They have lead exposed at the base of the bullet.

You should think about using JHP's or CMJ's - there's

no lead exposed on these bullets.

I hate cleaning a comp, so I use JHP's exclusively -

if you don't mind cleaning the comp, there's no real

problem with lead or fmj.

Jack

I've heard that a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar does a good job of cleaning stainless steel suppressors. I am just wondering how well that would work on a comp, if...

Here's what it looks like when it's doing its thing. I used this comp on a subgun with lots of lead-based jacketed bullets. It had lead/carbon buildup to the point that it was brushing the bullets as they went by, changing the POI. "The Dip" works okay, but mechanical cleaning seemed to do a better job and took less time. I may not have left it in the solution long enough when I tried it. It will bubble for quite some time, and the liquid eventually turns a greenish color with lots of solid particles showing up at the bottom of the jar.

Be very careful with the stuff. The byproduct is pretty nasty - you don't want to breathe the fumes, and you have to be careful of how you dispose of the hazardous waste. Don't get it on your skin, or anywhere else for that matter.

100_1069.jpg100_1070.jpg100_1071.jpg

Edited by Garrett

If you are destined to dance to a different drummer, I've shot Bayou Bullets in 38Super and 9 major at >1400 fps with no build up no crud in the comp and no smoke. I have no idea what that Gator Snot on the bullet is, but they are as clean as CMJ's or JHP's and they don't smoke.

FMJ's with a lead behind leave crud in the comp, I use pick I got at harbor freight, looks like dentist tools, scrapes it right out. When shooting lead in other guns I use a copper chore boy wrapped around a bore brush and it takes lead and moly right out. Chemicals can do ugly things to a barrel.

Edited by CocoBolo

If you are destined to dance to a different drummer, I've shot Bayou Bullets in 38Super and 9 major at >1400 fps with no build up no crud in the comp and no smoke. I have no idea what that Gator Snot on the bullet is, but they are as clean as CMJ's or JHP's and they don't smoke.

FMJ's with a lead behind leave crud in the comp, I use pick I got at harbor freight, looks like dentist tools, scrapes it right out. When shooting lead in other guns I use a copper chore boy wrapped around a bore brush and it takes lead and moly right out. Chemicals can do ugly things to a barrel.

I like plated bullets, especially Berry's, for my comped guns to avoid leaded comp. As someone mentioned, plain old jacketed have exposed lead in the base that erodes out on firing and leaves deposits. JHP or CMJ are good, but plated is cheaper and I get great accuracy. For steel 9mm loads I have had great results with the Berry hollow base round nose 100 grain. The hollow base allows the light bullet to be longer. I've only tried it with H6 powder so far, but wonderful accuracy and shoots flat from my open 9mm.

I like plated bullets, especially Berry's, for my comped guns to avoid leaded comp. JHP or CMJ are good, but plated is cheaper ...

That may have been true ten years ago, but not so much any more. I stopped using Berry's so much when I could buy jacketed for less from Zero, MG, or Precision Delta.

Bayou bullets are good in comp guns. A friend of mine uses them and he has no problem with build up in his comp or barrel. I'm going to make the switch from hard cast bullets which seem to leave a little leading and go to moly coated.

Blcksmk