Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a Rem 1100 ready for limited division

Cody_2130

I already have an 8 round tube on the gun, a 24" vent rib barrel with a fiber optic tube and I just ordered a new synthetic stock and fore end as well. I am planning on busting out the dremel and doing some work. What other stuff should I be planning on doing to have a solid gun for my class?

I personally don't like oversized anythings. The bolt handles will hang up on everything that gets within 2' of it, and I've seen them take unscheduled vacations from the gun on multiple occasions.

You will need to install either an ez-loader or a Remington competition carrier, which has the enlarged button on the carrier. Other than that, just make sure it runs reliably with your chosen loads.

I have run a bunch of different ammo thru it, everything from super light Federal trap loads to 00 buck to Gold dot slugs and the gun runs all of them well. What about adding some shell holders to the side of the gun or am I better off just keeping the spare shells on my belt?

That EZ loader looks great! Going to have to order one as soon as the bank account says I can, LOL. Does not look like it could be that hard to install... Thinking I am going to order the ez loader, the larger bolt handle and a "Mesa Tactical Receiver Mount Aluminum 6-Shot SureShell Carrier". Anything else I need to blow my money on while I am ordering?

That EZ loader looks great! Going to have to order one as soon as the bank account says I can, LOL. Does not look like it could be that hard to install... Thinking I am going to order the ez loader, the larger bolt handle and a "Mesa Tactical Receiver Mount Aluminum 6-Shot SureShell Carrier". Anything else I need to blow my money on while I am ordering?

Yep, an extra mag spring, recoil spring, some gas seals, lots of oil. A gas piston and seal couldn't hurt either.

On the EZ loader, just be patient and follow the directions. A spare pin might be a good idea as well.

I just went through setting up an 1100 myself.

DMW's fee for installing an EZ Loader is very reasonable and the turnaround time was quick for me. DMW also has some nice mag extension tubes.

My oversize Bolt handle(also from DMW) flies out of the gun at times. If my latest WECSOG fix doesn't work I'll go back to the stock handle.

I have no personal experience with the Mesa Tactical product but reviews have not been stellar. I got a sidesaddle and one of those things that straps to your arm from Mark Buchannon. The elastic holding the shells is pretty tight. I'll post some links when I'm in front of my home computer.

The forums at shotgunworld have alot of good info on setting up and maintaining an 1100.

Roy

Wow after reading the instructions on the EZ loader I may have a gunsmith install it. Most of my tools are in storage right now and it looks like it would take some time and know-how to do.

Wow after reading the instructions on the EZ loader I may have a gunsmith install it. Most of my tools are in storage right now and it looks like it would take some time and know-how to do.

It's straight forward but a PITA. I'm still having a problem that no one seems to have an idea about fixing. Could be my gunsmithing or something else.

Thanks man! I had already found the speed loader write up but the rest of the info is good to have. All the shooting I have done with the gun (~200

rounds per day) has yet to show any issues with the gun but it has sat for the last few months so a full tear down and cleaning is in order. I will more than likely have DMW install the EZ loader for me as I generally have issues with stuff like that install, not overly patient with the trial and error type work.

• 5 months later...

parts to make it a Competition Master clone:

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=258806

I have a special field model, but what I have vested in my 1100 is:

Nordic 5 Round Tube

Nordic Bolt Handle (spectacular in comp vs. stock)

Factory mag spring

EasyLoader

2 Hi-Viz fiber sights (Front and Mid)

Choate orange follower.

Carlson LM Ext. Choke.

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

Edited by EvilBetty

I have the two round holder that goes on the fore end from 3 gun gear, that thing is the cat's ass. When you run empty, you just rip one straight back, drop it in the ejection port, hit your Dave's easyloader and you are back in business. I highly recommend that piece. I also have the velcro side saddle which is cool because you can peel it off to reload it.

As the others have said, DMW ez-loader and some form of larger bolt handle.

I got the DMW oversized bolt handle because it is rounded and therefore will be much less likely to snag/hang on something while still giving you a bigger target to grab.

if you can find an old trap "B" stock, it allows the comb to break away from your cheek, most field grade stocks that fall away allow recoil to drive the stock into your face...I never liked the oversized charging handles, but did go for the larger safety...if you haven't pulled the bolt out yet, be careful as the carrier produces some very sharp edges to the receiver rails...if you have problems with the Easy Loader you may want to trim the lips to reduce mass...the competition trigger group would be my choice...a bolt from an 1187 has a much larger extractor...the 24" gun may not need an opened gas port, but an increase of a couple of number drill sizes might be needed.... a full diameter magnum action bar if your club shoots a lot of slug matches...the velcro side saddles worked for me...the bolt on side saddles can cause malfunction if too tight..if it's an older gun with double gas rings, the single replacement would be an option....I stayed with the factory magazine follower, as have seen polymer ones have problems... run it wet...I have always surmised that if you added a little brass (braze) to the sides of the bolt carrier you might be able to tighten up and forstall any bolt carrier link (tuning fork) problems...change the magazine spring regularly...

ps.. I now shoot an M1S90

For an 1100:

22" VR barrel from the TAC4

fiber optic sights

Nordic 5 Round Tube

The new Colored Briley bolt handle (looks slick and add a little bling), or Nordic, DMW, or Choate oversized bolt handle

Wolff mag spring

Shorten the DMW EasyLoader

Stainless steel or aluminum follower

open the gas ports .005

Trigger job.......

Lots of ammo and practice!

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through setting up an 1100 myself.

DMW's fee for installing an EZ Loader is very reasonable and the turnaround time was quick for me. DMW also has some nice mag extension tubes.

Roy

Is Dave doing installs now? I checked with him a while back and he advised that he was not.