Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b primer issue

Hi everyone,

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 550b for my first press.

From looking at the posts on the forum it appears that the priming system on the 550b is the weak link.

I know all presses need to be maintained, but how severe (or not) is this issue with the 550b?

How often do you need to clean/tune/adjust the primer system to make sure it keeps working properly?

and

how hard is it to do?

My 550b wouldn't feed primers consistently out of the box(new owner had one less than a month). After referring to the troubleshooting portion of the manual I discovered the primer punch wasn't seated deep enough in my small primer cup. I loosened the set screw, compressed it on my bench, tightened set screw and I got the desired spec(It was 80 thousandths off to begin with). It has fed primers 100% since then (given I've only loaded around 6 or 7 hundred rounds).

I have never had an issue with seating primers (I've loaded around 9k rounds so far). The only issue I had was with spent primers going everywhere, and there is a very easy, well documented fix to that issue.

I would buy the 550 with confidence.

ps. don't forget to buy it from Brian!

Hi everyone,

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 550b for my first press.

Buy one from Brianenos.com.

From looking at the posts on the forum it appears that the priming system on the 550b is the weak link.

Probably a good observation.

I know all presses need to be maintained, but how severe (or not) is this issue with the 550b?

It's not "severe" at all or there wouldn't be one in almost every reloaders basement or garage.

How often do you need to clean/tune/adjust the primer system to make sure it keeps working properly?

When it starts acting up I look into it. When it is working I leave it the hell alone!

and

how hard is it to do?

Not hard at all.

I just keep mine clean. I wipe it clean before I load. As soon as I have a issue I take it apart and clean it. No big deal. It's a very simple setup. I think people have issues because they just tighten the setup from below with out getting things centered first. I always leave things a little loose, push to prime, then tighten the setup and check for binding. It's simple but important.

Sometimes I have a problem with the primer slide sticking, its usually caused by debris from the primer pockets getting onto the sliding surface, most of the time I can just blow on it and clean it out, if it continues I'll usually have to take it apart and clean the sliding surfaces with rubbing alcohol, that pretty well takes care of it. I might mention I don't have to clean it with alcohol very often. This is a RL550 I bought in 1985, its had a lot of rounds reloaded on it!

The only problem I've had, was I did not see a very small piece of styrofoam had made its way onto the primer punch. This dented about 30 primers before I caught it. All of those rounds still fired well, and I have "canned air" all over the shop now. The canned air finds things I cannot see. I would whole-heartedly recommend the Dillon RL550b press, and buy it from Brian. The press is fantastic, and the service is just phenominal. I could not be more happy with mine. Like everyone here posted, once the machine is configured correctly, you should not have anymore problems unless something gets knocked out of place or worn out. Good Luck on your new machine! After you've had it for a while, let us know how you like it.

I've loaded a bazillion rounds on a 550 - the priming system works great. Keep it clean and dry, and you won't have any troubles with it. If problems do occur: this checklist will get you back on track:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.

Pay special attention to bullet number 4 in the list - that adjustment is key.

be

The only time I had a priming issue was with one of the solid primer arms which would bind. The only other issue is replacing the cotter pin on the primer catcher with a bent piece of paper clip. Otherwise no problems with more than 50,000 rounds.