Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indian food

ErikW

After having it for a year straight (lived over there) I took a long time to to have any desire to eat it again. Now, if I could just find my favorite drink from over there I would be all set. Anyone ever heard of a "Tumba?" Fermented rice millet with hot water. Mainly served in the N.E. part of Nepal actually. What a great drink. ;)

Some time ago, for a period of about a year, my whole group of friends from work used to hit an Indian Restaurant's buffet for the Friday lunch. After a year, shifts changed, some people moved on to other jobs, and it just died out. It was good food, great conversation, and one of the best ways to blow off steam until I discovered shooting. I miss those days and the people....

When I was stationed in Berlin, Germany I used to eat at this little Indian place that was awesome. I was good food in large portions and super cheap, roll out the door for $5 cheap. :D man i miss that place :(

After eating there for a while they got to know me and then the portions started getting bigger and bigger. There are a few Indian places up in Tucson (none around here) but the few I have tried were so-so.

Neal in AZ

Best Indian food I've ever had: Chicago, in the Indian section of town. Of course we had to drive through the Lebananese and Pakistani sections to get to it (they're all right next to one another).

Oddly, I kept looking out the window during dinner, fully expecting to see a mushroom cloud....

(Most Indian food in the US sucks because they have to tone it down because all Americans do is complain it's too spicy - which is why most Mexican places suck to eat at anymore. Give me some heat, baby! :) )

• 2 weeks later...

OK I couldn't resist any longer - Here back behind the Pine Curtain Indian restaurants are few and far between so I just prepared Chicken in Sweet Red Pepper Sauce - Mushroom and Potato with Garlic and Ginger and Plain Basmati Rice.

Later....

I had curried shrimp one summer evening in London and it was VERY hot... and VERY, VERY DELICIOUS. I love hot food... :wub: ...will put cayenne pepper on most anything. Always manage to order 'hot' Chinese food dishes, too.

Damn' Americans... too much time spent at unimaginative McFood places. :angry:

I made this mistake of reading this thread this morning so I had to have it for lunch. I figured I'd eat the leftovers for dinner. I ate all the chicken masala and two pieces of naan bread in one sitting. I might as well not even bother trying to sleep tonight.

Damn' Americans... too much time spent at unimaginative McFood places. :angry:[/color]

Sorry, but I think the credit for bland, flavorless or downright nasty food should land squarely in the lap of the English and the French. After two weeks of that crap, even Taco Bell sounded just heavenly.