Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning A5 3-Gun

After standing in my closet for near 30 years, I took our local guys suggestions and just took what I had to my 1st 3gun match. I have been to 3 more since and the Browning makes me look good.

So I have decided to throw a little money at it.

My tube extension from Nordis is here.

Here is my question.

I read thru many different forums with very old post that mention using this gun in 3gun competitions.

They would mention 2 or 3 modifications and talked about how well they ran but did not describe the mods.

Rather than register on all those forums I thought I would ask here,

Does anyone know what kind of mods can be done to the Browing A5 in which to make it 3gun friendly?

This is the Light 12 version, shell lifter is solid. I have heard of 2 piece lifters but I don't know if it helps.

Would be nice if the lifter was a little more user friendly.

A bigger bolt handle would be nice.

I'm not trying to out run the Benelli's I'm just out for fun.

Michael

The big advantage is the speed load. With your 1 piece lifter you will not have that feature. It is not something you can add without spending more than it would cost to buy another gun. You can send the barrel off to get cut and choke tubes added (I assume it has a long and likely full choke barrel) The a5 will be one of the most reliable guns but you need to set it for light loads and find the lightest shell it will cycle so that the recoil will not slow you down. The gun will cycle faster that any of the modern guns but the recoil on heavier loads can slow you. As far as I know there is not an aftermarket bolt handle available.

It had a 30" full choke but years ago I put the 23 1/2” or 120mm Japan made slug barrel w/sights, smooth bore on it and so far has be fun at the matches.

The Nordic tube is a nice clean fit and seems to work fine for now. $75 which seems fair.

I have ordered synthetic stock and forearm mainly so I can try and shorted the stock to be more comfortable and get away from some worry of cracking wood forearm.

This is a $45 gamble.

Since I already had the gun I look at this as a $120 3gun and don't mind a little more.

I have read about someone taking parts from a donor gun, the post allowed there was some adjustments to be done in reference to the loader and I think it refered to a split loader but I can’t find that post now.

I am interested in what this project entails and what the benifit is because there is a possibility I could do it myself. And of course, maybe not.

Thanks for the tip on the loads.

I have been using 1300fps 7 ½ and it should be rated major due to amount of movement for re-acquisition.

I have low impact slugs that it hardly can cycle with spring on heavy load setting.

I need to find out what the Rio low impact slugs “FPS”, feet per second, is so I can match up to the 7 ½ shells to the slugs.

Thanks for you help.

Michael

post-30885-025245600 1304435746_thumb.jp

My boss gave me a Remington Model 11 with 2 barrels. I've been thinking about having one barrel cut down to 22". Thought it would be fun to shoot a match with a 1911 & M1. Somewhat of a WWII class...

The Browning two-piece lifter is essential if you're going to run an A5 or M11 in 3-gun.

The standard loading requires that you press the latch button to load. The two-piece lifter (2P) doesn't, you just thumb them in, and the lifter loads.

here's the good part; you don't need a bigger charging handle. With a 2P, when the gun runs dry, it locks open. You just stuff a shell in as you normally would, and the lifter takes it, then feeds it into the receiver, chambers it, and closes the bolt. Rounds in the tube, or empty, you load the same way, and the gun automatically chambers it when needed.

Ideally, it is a drop-in set. you disassembly your A5 (you'll need a whole toolbox full of fitted screwdrivers0 and install the 2P in place of the 1P. in some guns, the 1P lifter spring was too short to properly reach the 2p lifter leg. If so, you'll be down until you can get that spring.

Also ideally, the Browning 2p lifter fits the M11.

here's the good part; you don;t need a bigger charging handle. With a 2P, when the gun runs dry, it locks open. You just stuff a shell in as you normally would, and the lifter takes it, then feeds it into the receiver, chambers it, and closes the bolt. Rounds in the tube, or empty, you load the same way, and the gun automatically chambers it when needed.

Question, mine is a Light 12 version, it loads as you described above, locks open, auto feeds once shell in tube.

When I read "2 piece", I thought the lifter itself was 2 visible pieces; this must refer to more than I can see?

Thanks

The black stalker stock/forend is a good idea. If you call midwest gun works they might still have the original Browning ones which are much better than the after market parts. I still use mine as a back up gun, it is still fun to shoot.

The lifter is two pieces, the one you push out of the way when you load is the hinged part. On the older guns, with the one-piece lifter, you always had to use the side button to unlock the lifter to load.

So, you're all set.

Thanks, I needed to here that conformation on the lifter.

The black stalker stock/forend is a good idea. If you call midwest gun works they might still have the original Browning ones which are much better than the after market parts. I still use mine as a back up gun, it is still fun to shoot.

That is good to know.

Question, would the Browning ones you refer to be manufactured by Browning or someone else for Browning?

I sure don't want to put words in P.E. Kelley's mouth, but mine and his hero, Jim Wall, was the guy running the A-5! He had it all figured out and at the old S.O.F matches he and that "damn" A-5 had a lock on shotgunning. I shot it a few times and darn if it didn't hit everything it was pointed at...it felt weird to a fledgeling Benelli guy, but the darn thing worked and man he could make you look stupid! I miss both Jim and the match! KurtM

I sure don't want to put words in P.E. Kelley's mouth, but mine and his hero, Jim Wall, was the guy running the A-5! He had it all figured out and at the old S.O.F matches he and that "damn" A-5 had a lock on shotgunning. I shot it a few times and darn if it didn't hit everything it was pointed at...it felt weird to a fledgeling Benelli guy, but the darn thing worked and man he could make you look stupid! I miss both Jim and the match! KurtM

You aren't Kurt, Jim was THE A5 man! I caught the bug after shooting with Jim and I still have two "race ready" A5's in the safe. IN THE SAFE. I loved my Auto 5's but have moved on to other self-loaders for competition.

I just sent the OP a PM parroting the good info he has received here.

Thanks for "fielding" this one my fellow Auto 5 enthusiast Mr. Sweeney!

I understand he (Sweeney) ran the dog snot out of one at 2nd Chance!

Patrick

Mine was an M11, with an A5 as backup. Did you know, that if you reload your own buckshot, and use Winchester AA hulls, that the rimes will sometimes come off? Did you know that an A5 will almost (but not quite) chamber the next round, even with the old hull still in the chamber?

After that, it was S&B buckshot for me.

Mine was an M11, with an A5 as backup. Did you know, that if you reload your own buckshot, and use Winchester AA hulls, that the rimes will sometimes come off? Did you know that an A5 will almost (but not quite) chamber the next round, even with the old hull still in the chamber?

After that, it was S&B buckshot for me.

:roflol: That is someone who has obviously been "there" :cheers:

I read through this and do none of you guys plan on getting old , or do you think you will die young and in pain.

The A5 is one of the guns that the entire barrel moves back during recoil to eject and load the next round . the extra mass of the barrel is what you feel just before the snot leave your nose. It knocks the snot out of you every time you shoot it.

I don't know much But i do know what is fun to shoot and what is not fun to shoot.

• 3 years later...

I read through this and do none of you guys plan on getting old , or do you think you will die young and in pain.

The A5 is one of the guns that the entire barrel moves back during recoil to eject and load the next round . the extra mass of the barrel is what you feel just before the snot leave your nose. It knocks the snot out of you every time you shoot it.

I don't know much But i do know what is fun to shoot and what is not fun to shoot.

A friend let me shoot his a month ago. Always wanted to shoot one, very intrigued by them. After I shot it, not so much. Has to be recoil multiplier in that thing somewhere! To be fair it was an old one with hard plastic recoil pad.

this is how they should look...most people hear "2 piece" and think it's more or a hinge in the middle...but it's not really noticeable unless you know what you're looking for.

I've known so many guys that shot A5's and didn't even know that the shotgun had the speedfeed capability :)

post-48412-0-80242100-1405106999_thumb.j