Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Raised mag catch

steel1212

Pretty simple. I'm trying to get a number of people that use one. If they do would you like a drilled and tapped on? They told me they won't do it but the material is either so hard or the hardening process so extreme I have 2 now that are junk trying to drill and tap them. I use them on my .40 SS as they work like magic getting those rounds in the chamber better. Anyway if enough people want them maybe they will change their mind?

Edited by steel1212

I have also drilled and tapped OTHER mag catches. If you haven't tried the EGW raised mag catch specifically, then you just can't imagine how freaking HARD these things are.

See my avatar. 3 Hacksaw blades to cut through the hardened STI slide. That was pretty hard on the R scale but not even close to these. The EGW mag catches are unnecessarily hard. I've NEVER seen a match catch wear out.

I've snapped a two flute carbide drill and 2 4-40 taps. Basically, these have to be drilled with the correct size end mill, not a drill bit. Or, chuck the drill bit and mag catch in a lathe and turn it slow. First the checkering has to be milled off of course.

It would be fantastic if these were drill and tapped PRIOR to being heat treated. Or sell some that are NOT heat treated.

Roy, if you can drill and tap them, buy 20. D/T them then sell them.

I agree that they work great and solve alot of .40 SS issues. Some how my gunsmith managed to drill and tap mine, I am pretty sure he does it on a mill with carbid cutters. I will try to get in touch with him and find out how he does it. As for EGW doing them, I would rather buy them already done to save time and pain.

Guys the more votes we get that people want it I'll send a email to them letting them know. If not if you know a gunsmith willing to buy some from them and DT I'm sure there is at least 11 people so far that would buy some. I need several myself. They don't just work in .40s but .45s also!

Pretty simple. I'm trying to get a number of people that use one. If they do would you like a drilled and tapped on? They told me they won't do it but the material is either so hard or the hardening process so extreme I have 2 now that are junk trying to drill and tap them. I use them on my .40 SS as they work like magic getting those rounds in the chamber better. Anyway if enough people want them maybe they will change their mind?

I don't mean to hijack your thread but after I installed the EGW extra high mag catch on my STI Trojan the slide would not close and I could not seat some mags with the action closed. Anyuone have any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

SV makes a raised mag catch which can be ordered drilled and tapped

Not the same animal. The EGW mag catch lets the magazine sit .020"-.30" higher in the gun for better feeding.

Pat

Per EGWs website it raises it .020. Problem is its harder than woodpecker lips and they won't DT them. Now if SVIs are the same 0.020 I'll be giving them a look.

SV makes a raised mag catch which can be ordered drilled and tapped

Not the same animal. The EGW mag catch lets the magazine sit .020"-.30" higher in the gun for better feeding.

Pat

Per EGWs website it raises it .020. Problem is its harder than woodpecker lips and they won't DT them. Now if SVIs are the same 0.020 I'll be giving them a look.

I've installed several of the EGW mag catches. Measured the gap between the bottom of the front strap and the front top of the magazine on the guns with feeler gauges. The max rise was .031". Helped feeding in all of the cases.

Pat