Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long handguard on a short AR Barrel

mhearn

New AR build has a 12.5 inch barrel. I intend to use a 11" handguard. I want the reach. I'm worried about muzzle blast crawling back on my hand. I'm not excited about doing the Michael Jackson one glove thing. Does anyone have some experience with running a gap this close?

I'm presently running a 16" barrel with a SJC Titan brake in combination with a 13" Viking Battlerail. I know from experience that if my hand gets out on the very end of that handguard, I'm going to be picking burned powder residue out of my knuckles. This new set up would be even closer. I've discussed it with Eric L. He has run a similar setup successfully. However, he suggests caution. Especially around walls.

I was also considering either the Nordic Components Corvette Comp or the PRI MSTN.

I'm a bit worried that the Nordic and the Titan may vector more of the blast to the rear vs the PRI that may direct the gas more to the sides. I don't doubt that the Titan is a great brake. I love it. I'm just concerned about its performance in this tight gap scenario.

Feedback on subject would be appreciated.

Mhearn

New AR build has a 12.5 inch barrel. I intend to use a 11" handguard. I want the reach. I'm worried about muzzle blast crawling back on my hand. I'm not excited about doing the Michael Jackson one glove thing. Does anyone have some experience with running a gap this close?

I'm presently running a 16" barrel with a SJC Titan brake in combination with a 13" Viking Battlerail. I know from experience that if my hand gets out on the very end of that handguard, I'm going to be picking burned powder residue out of my knuckles. This new set up would be even closer. I've discussed it with Eric L. He has run a similar setup successfully. However, he suggests caution. Especially around walls.

I was also considering either the Nordic Components Corvette Comp or the PRI MSTN.

I'm a bit worried that the Nordic and the Titan may vector more of the blast to the rear vs the PRI that may direct the gas more to the sides. I don't doubt that the Titan is a great brake. I love it. I'm just concerned about its performance in this tight gap scenario.

Feedback on subject would be appreciated.

Mhearn

A friend of mine runs a 18 inch barrel with the new Troy TRX 15 inch handguard with a Titan brake with no issues. That would be teh same as you running a 13 inch Battle rail with a 16 inch barrel. I have a 15 inch Troy on order for my 18 after seeing my friends set up. I am going to put my 13 inch rail on my 14.5 inch work gun with a Noveske Pig.

I love the Titan brake and personally don't think you can do any better.

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am going to put my 13 inch rail on my 14.5 inch work gun with a Noveske Pig.

I love the Titan brake and personally don't think you can do any better.

Yea, I agree on the Titan. But, this close?

I looked at the Noveske Pig. I think that set up seems to be trying to solve a different problem. More about feeding the gas tube, sound, and muzzle flash than actually serving as a brake.

MHearn

Edited by mhearn

You could put a something on the end of the handguard to index your hand on so you don't let it slide to far forward.

Good idea. I do that now on the 16". A two inch piece of rail at 9 oclock. I'm afraid that it will not matter if I'm off the front end or not. Near the end could be painful.

Mhearn

You could put a something on the end of the handguard to index your hand on so you don't let it slide to far forward.

Good idea. I do that now on the 16". A two inch piece of rail at 9 oclock. I'm afraid that it will not matter if I'm off the front end or not. Near the end could be painful.

Mhearn

I like the gear sector handstop... Makes a a good barricade wing as well.

I think the issue is not tube lengths but arm lengths. If you put a 15" tube on a 18" barrel (or a 13" tube on a 16" barrel) You can reach pretty far out there but you won't be tempted to wave your hand too close to the muzzle. With a 12" barrel your left arm is going to want all the space it can get and wonder close to the comp. Hand stops, noveske's oddball barricade grabber, whatever will stop your hand reliably.

Run a 10.5 inch with the std 9 inch rain on it and never had a problem with it. For the compensator, I run the PWS TTO. For the shorty, it dosent work bad(its no titan though) but isnt near as loud as alot of the breaks would be especially on a shorty. It is a touch shorter than an A2 flash hider so it looks right on the gun.

Randall. I keep looking for the "like" button. Nothing to drive the lesson home like immediate pain. I still left it out there until I was finished with that shooting position. Bang. Ouch. Bang. Ouch. Bang. Ouch. Bang. Ouch.

Pete. I had to google it. Interesting. http://www.gearsector.com/

Couldn't find the Noveske barrier grabber thing.

Thanks for the feedback on the TTO Brake

These ideas could help. I'm still looking for more feedback on a distance back that is not going to get hit by the blast. Anyone else out there running these barrels close to the handguard.

I am going to put my 13 inch rail on my 14.5 inch work gun with a Noveske Pig.

MHearn

Sorry the 14.5 inch Noveske that is getting a pig is mostly because it looks cool. Not for the game. Its my patrol rifle. I saw someone with a similar set up and it looked sweet.

Pat

What about the "safety flange" RRA puts on their AR-15 pistol?

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/rock-river-arms-announces-pds-pistol/5835/

It has a molded piece of plastic at the tip of the barrel shroud/handguard that is oversized to prevent the hand slipping forward and sweeping, could possibly be used for protecting from muzzle blast?

Edited by Pro-Pain

It has a molded piece of plastic at the tip of the barrel shroud/handguard that is oversized to prevent the hand slipping forward and sweeping, could possibly be used for protecting from muzzle blast?

Interesting. Don't see how this would work on the free floating handguard that I have my eye on. Nice looking pistol though.

Mhearn

Mhearn

Near the end can be painful. I have a little experience with that. ;)

It really sucks if your fingers get close to that muzzle, eh..... ;)

I totally agree that it can REALLY SUCK if your finger gets up there a little too far.

Edited by Big Bore

Sorry the 14.5 inch Noveske that is getting a pig is mostly because it looks cool. Not for the game. Its my patrol rifle. I saw someone with a similar set up and it looked sweet.

Pat

We've done a bunch of barrel shortening barrels and welding the Pig on to make 16" with a full length hand guard, and I think they have all been for cool factor :cheers:

With the Pig, you can put your hand out there as the gasses go forward.

Interesting. Don't see how this would work on the free floating handguard that I have my eye on. Nice looking pistol though.

Mhearn

Not necessarily the handguard, but what about jury-rigging/modifying/crafting/fabricating some kind of half moon disk, similar, to the end of the free float? Or around the bottom lip of the free float to act similar?

I'm debating a similar set up, let me know what works for you!