Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 AND THE IPSC BOX

92fs

This past February I attended the S&W Indoor IDPA nationals. Stage 9 turned out to be a real catastrophy. It was a dark stage where you were seated at a "desk with your gun in the IPSC box. When Glock claimed to make the G34 to fit in the IPSC box, they really were not kidding. It just fits. So, the buzzer, I hit the button to activate the very dim caution lights, flip the box lid open, grab my gun and head to the first shooting position. I put the gun up to shoot the first target and "CLICK". Remember, It is pretty dark, I rack the slide, pul the trigger and "CLICK" again! I think in the excitement I racked 3 times before puting my thumb up into the magwell and realizing the gun was empty. At that point, I grab another bag from my belt and begin shooting a very flustered stage. After I finish, they turn the lights on and, there on the floor about 2 feet from the desk is my loaded mag. After thinking about what the heck happend, i realized that the G34's extended mag release button acts like a foot when you lay the gun down on the side a righty would want to position it when picking it up. That screw up right there probably cost me 20 sconds and a whole lot of points down because i put downward pressure on the gun when grabbing it from the box.

You are not alone. :rolleyes:

Any gun where the mag release is a point of contact when the gun is laid on that side is prone to the same thing. There are a few techniques to the pickup that reduce the chance of dropping the mag, but starting with the gun in the box definitely makes it tricky.

Live and learn.

I've never seen a replacement mag release spring for a Glock, but that doesnt mean one is not out there.

You can also swap to the shorter mag release.

Edited by prreed10

Ouch. Surprised you made it all the way to the Indoor Nats without learning this one. Swap a standard release in there, or else do NOT push down on the gun while picking it up.

...Or slide it across a bumpy table... ;)

I had just recently switched from a Beretta 92fs to the Glock G34.

The Gen4 will solve this problem. I had a similar stage at a match last week. Loaded gun was placed in brief case, then closed.

I am right-handed, laid my Gen4 Glock 35 on it's left side, mag catch down. I had no problem as the newly designed mag catch is bigger, but does not stick out as far.

• 3 weeks later...

The Gen4 will solve this problem. I had a similar stage at a match last week. Loaded gun was placed in brief case, then closed.

I am right-handed, laid my Gen4 Glock 35 on it's left side, mag catch down. I had no problem as the newly designed mag catch is bigger, but does not stick out as far.

Well, I have about a 6 month old Gen 3 so, I need learn to pay attention. I Gen 4 is not it the cards any time soon.

Just replace it with a factory std lenght

The problem with putting a G17 factory length mag catch is that now you have to change your grip to do a mag change unless you have REALLY long fingers. It's good to hear about this kind of stuff and maybe lay it in he box 'lefty' style to keep this from happening in the heat of the beep.

In all the years I shot a G34, I never had a problem with the extended release for table/barrel/briefcase starts. I sorta snatch up the gun rather than heavily pressing down onto it, so this might make a difference.

:cheers:

Curtis

In all the years I shot a G34, I never had a problem with the extended release for table/barrel/briefcase starts. I sorta snatch up the gun rather than heavily pressing down onto it, so this might make a difference.

:cheers:

Curtis

Yes, it was a learning experience for sure. Again, it was the first time I ever pulled that gun out of a box so, the thought never crossed my mind. I will never forget that lesson.