Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Shooting Glasses

I was just wondering where one could get some good shooting glasses. I do wear contacts most of the time but i also wear glasses. Basically i have a wish list of what i want them to be.

#1 - Be able to be worn over my Perscription glasses.

#2 - Interchangable lenses for those "dark" days.

#3 - Stylish(i don't wanna look like a bug or doofus)

#4 - Less than $100

Thanks in advance for your post in case i forget.

The hardest "Want" to satisfy in your list IMO would be the "worn over" regular glasses. I don't think Blu-Blockers are ANSI certified..

I wear both glasses and contacts, and find contacts are better for peripheral vision, don't fog, break (at least not as easy), and are more comfortable. All of which are good for this sport.

If you insist on wearing glasses to shoot, have you looked at RX shooting glasses? or a pair of work/safety RX glasses?

With the work glasses, you can have a cheap flip up "sunglass" panel to put over the safety glasses, even if these aren't safety approved, the actual glasses are.

The other issue you might run into is that shooting glasses are flush or close at the top so no brass gets in between your eyebrow and glasses and falls down behind it. Also, peripheral coverage that bend around your face to cover more. Typical RX glasses are flatter, and stick out from the face more, making it less than ideal at blocking brass from coming back..

Well i wear contacts MOST of the time while i am shooting so i guess #1 should have been #4 cause it doesn't matter that much but would be nice to have like the Rudy Project glasses are nice but very expensive. I did look into RX Shooting glasses and they are very expensive also. So i guess if i had to choose 2 of my options to definitly have it would be the Interchangable lenses so i can put in clear or yellow lenses for the dark days and Less than $100 dollars is a must. thank you for the input on RX glasses not being good though. I always thought that they would be fine but after you saying they "stick out" i realize that they do. Never noticed it before but a piece of brass could easily get trapped there and burn my eye before i could do anything

I use Sunbusters Mavericks. The lenses are interchangale, and they offer a nose piece that will fit standard RX glasses. I have been really happy with them, although I will admit on a cold day the frame did get a little brittle and broke when I was too rough changing the lenses. I am sure this was more of a problem of me being too heavy handed than a failing of the frame itself.

Sunbuster Shooting Glasses

Edited by Iggy42

Look at places like Shooter's Connection, Midway USA, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc. They most offer multiple versions of introductory/beginner style glasses. Dillon also has some nice and affordable shooting/safety glasses, found here: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Eyewear-8-15.html

I also use a pair of sunglasses i bought at Sears that are ANSI certified/construction glasses, and work well also. Good luck!

Rudy Project Rydons. Listed as over $200 on e-rudy.com but take advantage of Benos member discount of 30% and save alot! Free shipping and lifetime warranty on the lenses. It has multiple lenses for the dark and bright days. And it has great lenses that works well with that red dot or fiber optic sights.

what kinda hearing protection do you use ? You might wanna try some on, For instance the oakly's dig into my head when wearing muffs,

I would scratch the interchangeable lenses also, its a pain and you'll end up breaking the frames, The little kits look neat in theory, not so much in practice. The lenses are the expensive part, Just buy two pairs. I like the Wiley-X Sabers, they are well made, decent lenses, comfortable with ear muffs, and come in clear and smoke and are only about $35 at Midway and Brownell's.

I wear Rudy Genetyks but no matter how much discount you get they will NOT be less than $100. I started with ESS and they scratched pretty easy due to all the cleaning they need during a match. You might look into revision eyewear. They are cheaper and reported to be very good glasses.

Well my wife decided that she is gonna buy me a new set of Oakley's. She has been saving money to get me a Birthday present in June but she decided since i need a good pair of Sunglasses that have swapable lenses she is getting me a pair of Oakley's Jawbone Glasses with Polarized Lenses for the first set. Yellow and Clear for 2nd and 3rd set so i can use them no matter where/what i am shooting. She is such a great woman.

Is there a place that i can Try on the Rudy Project Glasses.. i can't have a pair of glasses that make me look like a bug. Very few frames actually fit my face. Which is why i was going with Oakley cause i found a set that goes with my face shape. But if there is a place or way that i can try on some of the RP glasses i definetly will. I am in SW Oklahoma anywhere within 150 miles will be ok as i can go there and try them on. Anyone know of any place i can do that?

NEVERMIND i found a dealer in a town near mine. will go monday and try some on. Thank you

Edited by Obiareus

Depends which pair you have. My Oakley e-wires are excellent. Very thin and fit under the muffs very well. When shooting with my clear lens Rudys the muffs do not seal nearly as well against my head because the arms on the glasses are much bigger. The Rudys provide more coverage and probably have been shatter resistance though.

Edited by waktasz

Being a Texas boy I dont know many places in OK but, these folks show to be a Rudy Retailer so they probably have the most popular glasses there. Find the ones you like then buy them from the e-rudy.com website and use the coupon code "2Alpha" to get 30% off!

PHYSICIANS OPTICAL

4200 WEST MEMORIAL

STE 101

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. 73120

(405) 749-4285