Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor ?

225 Fireman

Some say that .40 minor is almost like cheating...

There are a number of prior posts on this forum regarding .40 minor. There are also a couple good articles on the internet. Try doing a search in this section on the word "minor".

I really doubt you can get much softer than a 9mm minor load. You can get heavier bullets and run them slower but I haven't seen where any of my .40s are softer than my 9mm with comparable loads.

As far as your loads, seems like TG at 3.2 is a good load, here is a chart:

post-17962-074965300 1303431510_thumb.jp

lots of people run .40 minor in Production, though I prefer 9mm for a production gun. A 135pf .40 load is pretty damn soft. Just prefer the recoil impulse of a comparable pf 9mm load. Advantage of .40 in Production is that it makes slightly bigger holes, may be the difference in a A vs C, C vs D, etc etc

Edited by SIG shooter

I didn't like the way the gun handled with .40 minor using 180s, too sluggish for me. It functioned fine but the 13lb ismi was too much spring to balance the gun properly at 130PF, but I don't like superlight springs so I opted for a hotter load. Now I switched to 140gr RN bear creek bullets and love it (131PF). Plenty soft but nicely balanced.

I didn't like the way the gun handled with .40 minor using 180s, too sluggish for me. It functioned fine but the 13lb ismi was too much spring to balance the gun properly at 130PF, but I don't like superlight springs so I opted for a hotter load. Now I switched to 140gr RN bear creek bullets and love it (131PF). Plenty soft but nicely balanced.

What powder are you using? I am almost out of 180s and may try lighter bullets.

I have been shooting 180 Berries with 3.2 of Clays, range brass and CCI primers, soft n easy, I have a Jagger rod and 14lb Wolf spring coming and plan on reducing my charge even more, its not cheating its playing by the rules!

I shot production with my XDM 40 last year. Other than the fact that it costs a little more, I think .40 minor is great. I ran 3.0 grains of Clays under a Precision 180 at 1.135. Made about 148 pf but is SOFT. Ill try 165 gr bullets next time I do .40 minor.

I shoot 40 minor, but at 130ish pf it seemed sluggish. Now I load 180gr bullets to around 145 pf and like the little extra snap. I might try a lighter bullet later this year and see if I can get closer to 130 pf and still get the snappy feel to it.

Edited by KyroWebs

I love the .40, its a very versatile game gun because it rides the minor/major fence and can play lots of games,

My recipe, buy a bunch of 180's, cast,jacketed, Moly, doesnt matter just pick one you can get cheap and is always available.

Develop a 170 pf load with a fast burning good enough powder, TG, 320, WST, again doesnt really matter just pick one you can live with.

Now buy the same companies 155's that usually are the exact same profile just shorter, dont change any settings, powder measures, OAL, crimps, nothing, just switch to the 155, you'll come up with a load that is right about 145 pf that will be good enough and run most guns without re springing or changing anything and the slide wont feel like it is lobbing 203 rounds down range.

.40 Minor loads are really soft. My lady shoots .40 Minor with 200gr CMJ Montana Gold Bullets, 3.1gr Clays, CCI Primer, and 1.14 OAL out of her M&P 40 and it shoots super soft. When I shoot her gun every once in a while to function fire it, it makes me laugh every time because its so soft shooting. I guess that's why she likes shooting it so much B)

If I shot Production there is no way I would shoot anything other than .40 Minor rounds.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I spent all winter trying to get a xd 9 just right for a 9 year old. Used light recoil springs so she could load, that caused some problems. went heavier and had stove pipes. A couple of days ago she picked up my Glock 35 which already had a 13 pound spring. added some 180gr mg with 3.8TG 140 pf very soft and all problems seem solved. Except getting her to use the glock trigger correctly. Something her dad was not able to learn.

Edited by kellymc

Good little article on softer 40 loads .... http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/40lite_091806/index1.html?bcsi-ac-33F88203AE5731F3=1B69BB9A00000004xcym8Dp9kHgvjNVlE3yNMRy73ta3BAAABAAAAGQBIAFAOAAAAAAAAK6BDAA=

I like the way my 180g MG w/ N320 loads felt in my M&P 40 Pro. Very nice production load

How much powder are you using? I just started using the same bullets and powder and I'm curious what you ended up with?

I use a cast 185 LRN with 3.5 of Solo 1000 though this one chrono's at 143 ish pf. If the bullet wasn't so long, I could probably get away with 3.2 of Solo 1000 for an even softer load. This specific LRN is so long that it won't stabilize under about 750 fps..

Good little article on softer 40 loads .... http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/40lite_091806/index1.html?bcsi-ac-33F88203AE5731F3=1B69BB9A00000004xcym8Dp9kHgvjNVlE3yNMRy73ta3BAAABAAAAGQBIAFAOAAAAAAAAK6BDAA=

I like the way my 180g MG w/ N320 loads felt in my M&P 40 Pro. Very nice production load

How much powder are you using? I just started using the same bullets and powder and I'm curious what you ended up with?

I'll get back to you tonight, I don't remember off the top of my head.

What powder are you using? I am almost out of 180s and may try lighter bullets.

I'm using Solo 1000. I can't remember exactly how much, I think about 4.3-4.4gr. It's a very nice load and doesn't lead at all and seems a bit cleaner than my 180 moly minor load with Solo. I am loading out to 1.140 OAL, I think loading long helps reduce leading with moly (less pressure and less time for gas to cut around bullet).

Glock 22 1.135 OAL 155gr moly coated Precision Bullet. All roughly 140PF

3.6gr Clays

4.0gr WST

4.1gr Solo 1000

N320 should work well also.

Plated 180gr with 3.7gr of Titegroup defines soft shooting. The 155gr bullets are cheaper.

Edited by GForceLizard

4.0g of N320 at 1.130"

I will probably run 10 over the chrono this weekend.

4.0g of N320 at 1.130"

I will probably run 10 over the chrono this weekend.

Could you post or PM your chrono data? I'm running 4.2 grains with an average of 130 pf out of my 5". This loads makes nearly 140 pf out of my standard length.