Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

noob equipment question.

joeorr

Ok so I've decided to try my hand at uspsa and have some equipment questions. I have my guns already, well production for sure and if para comes through on fixing my 14-45 I'll have my limited gun. So my question is this. Should I buy the best holster and mag pouchs I can get up front or just something that will get the job done for now till I figure out if I'm going to stick with the sport or not? And what holster or "rig" to get ?

Like anything else, if you start with low end gear you are most likely going to upgrade. Sometimes sooner than later, so if you can afford quality gear then spend a little more up front and get good gear. So your look at about 300.00 for a good belt set up, that's with holster, belt and 3 mag pouches.

That's what I was kind of thinking. Now new question would it be wise to buy complete rigs, one for production and one for limited/ open ?

I'd recommend selecting either prod or lmtd, and

spend a year shooting that - then see if you want

to switch for a 2nd year?

It's tough to go back and forth from ltd to prod?

And, you can run a prod rig in ltd - not the best,

but you can do it.

Actually, your ltd gun isn't entirely competitive

against STI's that hold 19 - 20 rounds of .40 major?

When you are getting started, don't put too much money

into it - get some experience and see what you want to

do, slowly.

You're going to have a Lot Of Fun in the next few months -

enjoy it.

Jack

Thanks jack.. as far as not having a gun that compares to a 40 major I'm not worried about it. I bought the para because I wanted it and it happens to work for limited, I'm more out to have fun and if I feel like its something I could compete in I'll go nuts at that point. but my thinking of the high end holster is that if I don't like it I can get rid of it easy and be out less money in the long run.

Edited by joeorr

There are a lot of good quality holsters and mag pouches which, while not the best will work well for years! I suggest you get a top quality belt. If you choose to shoot Limited and Production you might need two. Also get a top quality leather belt for concealed carry if you are leaning that way.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I was thinking cr speed belts for sure. Cr speed has a budget rig for 240 on there website I think if I get 2 of those sell the extra holster and get a production holster and a couple extra mag pouches I will be ahead of the game ? Maybe, or ill be going crazy overboard.

U can get cr belt for 50 blade tech holster for 60 and mag holster I think there called ready tac from cpwsa for 25 each. You can be ready to go for under 200

Edited by sdm74

Do you reload? if not I would start in production, shoot for a while and look into reloading. Get a good belt and holster for production

If you shoot Limited and dont reload you will be at a disadvantage for limited in 45 for power factor and mag. capacity.

Do you reload? if not I would start in production, shoot for a while and look into reloading. Get a good belt and holster for production

If you shoot Limited and dont reload you will be at a disadvantage for limited in 45 for power factor and mag. capacity.

I do reload but not for high volume shooting, I reload for my varmint rifles. and I do not see how I would be at a pf disadvantage with the 45 acp, i can see mag capacity but im more doing this for fun not to compete. If i do decide to compete I will outfit with a new gun at that time to make my self as competitive as i can but for now im going to rock what i got.

I'm more out to have fun and if I feel like its something I could compete in I'll go nuts at that point. but my thinking of the high end holster is that if I don't like it I can get rid of it easy and be out less money in the long run.

No reason to spend a lot of money on a holster if "you're not out to compete".

You can buy one of the plastic holsters for a very reasonable amount of money,

along with the matching mag holders, and have a ball.

They're a little slower than high end holsters, but you're "not competing"

anyway. So you can still have a lot of fun with a slower holster.

Depends on whether you're trying to save some money or not, or compete or not, I guess:)

My guess is that after three or four matches, you'll "be competing" with the rest of us.

Hard to enjoy a competitive sport without competing??

Anyway, your choice, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your new hobby - it's a blast. Hope you

do well.

Jack

Just get a pretty decent holster and mag setup, no need to blow money on top of the line equipment. Buy lots of ammo and shoot more for now. See if moving into the competitive area is really for you or not. Just have fun :D

thanks again Jack, I am out for fun at this point, but having some of the top grade equipment makes it funner, had i decided i wanted to do this before I bought my guns i would have bought different ones. I think there is a major difference between a friendly competition with friends and competing for real. I have played sports that i had to compete at for real and they were fun for a while, but I have more fun when I do things for fun than to see if i can beat everyone on the planet at it. (over competitive by nature) so im going to try to keep this as casual as i can and have fun.

Welcome!

I also shoot Prod and LTD, Prod with a Glock 34 and LTD with a Para P16. If you get Double Alpha Academy or CR speed pouches, they have shims/inserts that you can change, and use the same pouches, just change the location on your belt (if you want).

As far as holsters, I picked up a Bladetech DOH holster, and then just another holster part, and you can change the holsters in between the DOH (Drop offset), so you have close to the same presentation, and only one set of gear, no need to buy 2 of each.

As far as mags, look at mag floor plates too, Dawson Precision/Arredondo, or others. That'll add a couple of extra rounds to help at least a little bit add a couple of rounds.

I'd say build the rig for production. DAA or CR belt, Blade-tech DOH holster with Tek-Loc, 2 Blade-tech Double Mag holders with Tek-loc. Shoot your prod gun for a while, and you can even load up full and shoot LTD-minor (assuming it's a 9mm). Then you could buy a DOH with Tek-loc for your Para and the mag holders should be adjustable enough to put the Para mags in. Everything will be movable long the belt to switch back and forth until you find which division you prefer.

Once you make the decision, you would have a full rig for Prod, or possibly change the mag holders to CR's later for LTD. A lot of people are using Blade-Tech DOH even in LTD because it's not TOO much slower, and very secure for movement stages.

Mac

EDIT: Pro-Pain above has it better, use CR mag pouches. Buy 4. You will only need 3 for LTD, but having an extra on the belt won't hurt. Then you'll just switch back and forth on the DOH holsters. Don't know why I didn't mention this, since I run CR's on my Prod and LTD rigs.

Edited by McAllyn

I'd buy the CR mag holders, they come with inserts and just about any mag made seems to fit with the appropriate supplied inserts. I'd get at least 4 if not 5 of these.

That way your done with mag pouches for life.

I'd get a CR inner/outer belt and a cheapy type holster.

You are gonna COMPETE. I just don't believe a person when they tell me it's just for fun. Now that's my experience, maybe you are the first. Even if it's just against yourself,..... You'll be competing.

Hey There NM NOOB. Not for nothing but if you are looking for quality at a savings instead of a CR Belt I would recommend Double Alpha. Same good quality for a bit less money. THE Blade Tech Holster is a good choice and as for Mag pouches There are plenty of good ones available. I sugest watching the Classifieds hereOn BENOS. Also as for the Para a good trigger job and good mags you will be fine. Been shooting my para several years and as long as I do my part on the reloading I have not had a hicccup yet. Unlike many hi dollar S_Is. Just my .02 worth. If you need a magwell for the Para and a couple of Mag ext. Let me know I'll make you a deal on my spare DP items.