Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tuned mags

50cal

how important or how much benefit is realized from "tuned" mags? is tuning more or less important depending on the tube length (tune 170's, leave 140's stock)? Also, do base pads play a role in performance?

Thanks

50cal,

I swear by tuned mags, now, AFTER I spent TWO YEARS IN HELL dealing with jams caused by my magazines. Any new mag I buy goes straight to Beven before I even THINK about putting it in my gun!

To me, 100% reliability is the difference between enjoying what I do and not enjoying it - I was close to walking away from the game because I couldn't deal with my equipment not working!

And yes, you'll find some people that swear their mags ran out of the box, with all sorts of crazy configurations - I'm just not willing to take that chance anymore - I use what I know works.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt1991,

Cost of tuning an STI/SV mag tube is $35.00. I guarantee it is sized correctly at that point. I guarantee the mag to work if you use my Follower Kit, $15.80. I can quarantee round count with my base pad, $30.00.

Para tube tuning is $40.00.

I swear by tuned mags, now, AFTER I spent TWO YEARS IN HELL

FWIW, after my hell with tuned mags, I sold the tubes to Kathy and David, with full disclosure. (They witnessed some of the mag pukes.) I got untouched replacement tubes, which ran fine, and Kathy and David were perfectly happy with my tuned tubes from hell. She swears they run.

Personally, I think it's like those haunted houses you see on TV where one family flees in hysterics and the next family that moves in is like, "Nope, no trouble, we love our new home." :)

Just wondering:

How many rounds can you fit into a tunned mag for .40 cal?

1. 126mm IPSC fit in box rule

2. 140mm USPSA rule

Thanks

p.d:

Beven

I asked by mail but I keep having problems with external addresses :angry: so I decided to post here, if you get a chance to see this I appreciate your reply.

The first two mags I got for my SV in 40 I had to do a lot of tweaking. Using Brians advice (before you showed up here at BE.com Beven), I spec'd the feed lips and polished them up. Those 126mm tubes, Beven's Max-C basepad (they are da shizzle, fo shizzle!!!), a red SV comp follower and unclipped ISMI springs get me a reliable 19 rounds. Before, it was 17 rounds.

I also came onto two brand new 140 mm SV mags that have ran from the first time I picked them up. Those, with Bevin's Max-C basepad, a red SV comp follower and unclipped ISMI springs get me a reliable 20 rounds. Before, it was 18 rounds.

When I first got my SV, I too had mag nightmares. If I had to do it over again, I would have sent them to Bevin no question. If you're gonna spend ~$1800+ on a competition gun, why skimp on your mags?

Beven,

Thanks, I knew it would be faster this way - Yep, that´s what I got into them yesterday when I received your package.

17 rnds on the 126 with the IPSC limit Dawson wedge base pad and 20 on the 140mm with your base pad. The rounds loaded in very smooth, and also the finish looks great (nice polish) + very neet looking follower + spring. I have not had a chance to try them out yet but I am certain they will work perfect the first time.

I have read a few posts of getting more than 17 rnds on the 126mm (i.e big dave) but I assume thats with a different base pad that exceeds the IPSC box rule, correcto?

Thanks,

Sergio

sgrc1,

The round counts that I quote are tried and true counts that I can produce over and over again, and guarantee to run 100%. If you hear of larger counts, it is a big secret how they are getting it, or they are the lucky few that have a combination of parts that work only for them, or their mags don't fit the mag length rules.

18 is easy, svi thin followers, grams springs cut 1 coil and a plus 1 base pad.

the thin followers should be grinded down removing the slide stop notch and the spring epoxied to the follower.

the 18 rounder will fit the ipsc box. but you cannot use it as a reloading mag. use it as a starting mag. since its hell to load it.

good luck

Guest Larry Cazes

Jason, what kind of pads are you using? I get a 100% reliable reloadable 19 rounds using the grahms extended springs with 1 coil cut, SV red followers, and dawson +1 pads. I can stuff in 20 but then they are very tough to seat.

Just out of curiosity if the AWB sunsets and the high cap market opens up will there be brand new Beven mags for sale instead of sending parts in to be worked on? Sounds like it could be a lucrative venture.

tnek, CA might prevent that.... :(

Larry, with Beven's full setup and tuning, I get a reloadable 20. For speed shoots, I download to 19 as they pop in with very little resistance. 20 requires a little more effort to reload to, but it's not an extraordinary effort... and you don't notice it at all if you've got the adrenaline pumping. :)

Jason, what kind of pads are you using? I get a 100% reliable reloadable 19 rounds using the grahms extended springs with 1 coil cut, SV red followers, and dawson +1 pads. I can stuff in 20 but then they are very tough to seat.

its for ipsc box rules using a 124 or 126mm mag, and a plus 1 base pad, grinded red svi followers, 1-1.5 cut coil of gramms spring ;)

I won´t take any chances, I´ll stick with the "Mag Master" set-up and be happy with 17 reliable rounds :D

I had been happy so far with my Glock 17rnd mags I figure I'll be happy with my SV set up.

Thanks

I won´t take any chances, I´ll stick with the "Mag Master" set-up and be happy with 17 reliable rounds :D

I had been happy so far with my Glock 17rnd mags I figure I'll be happy with my SV set up.

Thanks

i seldom use the 18 rounder except for table starts on condition 2. and it works 100% I only load the others to 17 so i can reload it on stages.

good luck

btw, para ordnance guns can fit 19 and still you can reload with it. its the pistol of choice in ipsc in the philippines

i've just oredered two Grams SVI spring / follower kit from Speedshooter. I dropped it into a mag tube and id didn't really fit. The spring cought the sides and the follower didn't go all the way up... After reading that the grams stuff is by far the best I must say I was a little dissapointed. Is this normal? and how do I fix it.

Swede 04,

What make of tube, how long, what caliber, Open, Limited, or Standard Class. I am only a phone call away, and perfectly willing to help you out. You might as well talk directly to the guy who makes the stuff.

i let my 18 round 124 mm svi mag with grams spring and svi grinded follower loaded for 2 days. i cut i or 1.5 coils on the orig spring. anyway, i shot yesterday and tested the 18 round mag, i was surprised that i can now reload with it. before it was hell to load it in the gun. now its purgatory.

Swede 04,

What make of tube, how long, what caliber, Open, Limited, or Standard Class. I am only a phone call away, and perfectly willing to help you out. You might as well talk directly to the guy who makes the stuff.

Thanx that's what I call service, I'll give u a call once I've had a chance to look at it better, I'm traveling at the moment. Anyway this is what I have, SVI tube, 9x19, 124mm and I shot Standard.

Bevan,

Do you have a little Mag vodoo doll? After 2 years of running perfectly my big stick started puking today. I ordered 5 of your new spring/followers today from Chuck. I'll let you know on the round count. Please take the pin out of the vodoo mag now! B)

Sorry Chris, no vudoo doll here. I would suspect that if you have not changed your springs in two years, it was time to upgrage. I look forward to your findings in the use of my new Follower Kits.

Beven,

Any chance of getting a picture of where and how to cut your spring/follower for a 140mm 40 cal mag? I bought some at the FL Open and thought I cut it right, but I could only get 17 rds. in it. I kept clipping half a coil at a time until I got a reloadable 19. I know I probably ruined it, that's why I stopped at one so far.