Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barney Round

lndshrk

Actually, at the start of every match, I put a fully loaded magazine in my left front pants pocket (I suppose I could download it to one round per the number of stages in that match but that would require, y'know, thinking). After I've chamber loaded at each LAMR, the mag goes back into the left front pants pocket until I need it again on the next stage.

Seriously though, I use the "Barney Magazine" theory like Duane does. This is the mag I use to top off the gun during LAMR. Then I put it in a pocket or my last mag pouch depending on the stage and how many mags I need to carry. It's my comfort magazine in case some terribly wrong happens like I drop magazines or run out of bullets.

I've seen people use the "Barney Bullet" technique but since the last round is usually difficult for me to put in the magazine (usually in production) I don't use it since I like to keep the same LAMR routine.

My next to last mag is the one I use for my Barney mag,,,,I top it off after each stage.

But generally, I barney up with my next to last mag, then load my last mag, that way the barney mag goes back in the pouch and ends up on the end,,,,since there are a couple/few in front of it, I'm generally fine for the round count, but it is my own little thing I do, and it keep me organized and not sitting on mags or having them poke me in the ribs or whatever when I sit down......see, I'm somewhat a LARGE guy....

H4444

Just a personal thing, but I NEVER put a partially loaded magazine in a mag pouch. Never. It's just way too easy for that mag to find its way into the gun during a stage. Maybe it's never happened to you, but, as my Mother used to say to me when I was kid, about crossing the highway in front of our house by myself, without her, "Just because you've never been hit yet doesn't mean it can't happen."

I use a "barney magazine" as well. Shooting 10 rounders in L-10 makes it easy. I just use a 7 round mag marked with a white streak on the base that's kept in my right back pocket. My left back pocket is reserved for an emergency mag if needed.

Having used a P7M8 in some competitions, the Barney Round is vital otherwise you always end up reloading from slide lock after the seemingly required groups of 4 targets.

Back in the old "Revolver Neutral" days, 7 rounds was fine :P

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I generally follow this routine.

I load the 4 mags on my belt full just before I go to the line, otherwise they have 10-15 rounds. At the line I take my rear most mag and load it intot he gun on the LAMR command. I drop out that mag and replace it with a full mag. The mag that is one short is generally my first reload mag, Down one goes in easy, full can be problematic, Now that having been said, you need to be aware of the number of rounds in the gun and if your stage engagment plan allows this is fine, sometimes you may want that last round. Then I will swith the short mag (1 down) to the rear mag holder and put afull one up front.

One of the reasons people use a "Barney Mag" is to be sure they stoke, one round in and you have stoke, drop the mag and the gun is loaded if the mad is empty, I prefer the press check method, Then I am sure that the gun has a round chambered because I saw it.

One thing I and many others have learned the hard way is never carry a short mag. That is one that has a full capacity and is down more than one. A 20 round mag with 8 rounds is a very bad thing. You will grab it one day when you needed a full reload and you will be standing there having just destroyed the run of your life while doing a standing reload because the "full" mag you inserted only had 9 rounds, not 19-20.

Now all this having been said, the "Barney Bullet" where you LAMR, then top off the mag and reinsert is an OK method.

Carrying a mag in my front pocket, I can think of too many places where that could hurt way too much. Shooting isn't my only passtime :-)

Jim Norman

I am the "second to last mag barney bullet". I load the last mag in the gun and have the barney mag with 19 rounds(20 in front two) for last if need be. If I get to that mag that means I have gone through 61 rounds already. The barney mag is there in case one were to fall out running around. :P TX"Barney"AG

Shooting a single stack .45 in Limited 10 division, I want all of the mags on my belt full at the start of the stage. I use an old (read junky) GI magazine with a single round to load the gun at the start of each stage. From there on only the nice shiny 10 round mags go in the gun. I know that the round is in the chamber because the loader mag came out empty and I will never mistake it for a 10 rounder.

Shrek,

I used to do that, One Round and it was loaded couse the mag is empty thing. Now I presscheck to make sure. One time and one time only I screwed up and I still don't know how, but the round that was in the mag didn't go in the gun and when I pulled the trigger the gun went click. When I presscheck, I KNOW there is brass in the barrel. Also I don't have that pesky extra mag digging into places I'd rather not have it digging into.

Now, When I shoot L-10 or Production, I do the same thing, but I do add the Barney Round to top off the mag I stoked with.

My method and it works for me. YMMV

Jim Norman