Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG 22 rimfire upper/rifle

jimm223

My friends have the CMMG and Ciener .22s insert for their ARs.

I am not impressed. They function.

I went with a dedicated upper from Tatical Solutions. It is awesome. Nordic makes high quality stuff. I have not shot theirs but if I did not have a TS I would go with Nordic.

The problem with the inserts is you have to really clean your barrel afterwards. .22s are really dirty and can screw up your barrel accuracy if you are not religious about cleaning it before you convert back over to .223.

IMO

CMMG website shows that they have a complete upper now not just the insert/conversion. I was wanting to see if anyone had tried one of these.

Thanks Jim

I have one and it has the a 1 in 16 twist and runs fine on high velocity 22lr. I like it.

I just got the CMMG bolt in Stainless and it very nice. I got it in the mail,no oil and dropped it in and see ran 100rds no problem. I used Fed.High Vel. stuff in the blue box and American Eagle HV. Then I ran another 150rds the next day on lunch and no problems. I pulled the bolt and cleaned it off. The chamber was dirty but the bbl wasnt too bad to me.

Ive ran the Tactical Solutions upper and she runs great as well. I clean it maybe every 500rds? I haven't seen the Nordics but I use their handguard and I like their stuff :)

I think I can say something here, as I have owned both actually 4 of the 5 mentioned so far.

Kits are just that, they need to be tweeked to run right. Whether that be a spikes, ceiner, or CMMG. It can be done, and some work better out of the box than others.

The Spikes upper I had I could not get to extract properly. I tried several different types of ammo, and unless it was CCI blazer it was irradic

The Nordic upper was by far the best "built" out of all the uppers I have had. Super accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. The problems I had with the Nordic appeared to be a trigger related issues. From what I have been told by Nordic, their uppers for some reason do not seem to be 100% with Jard triggers, especially lightweight triggers. When the trigger would not light off the round (or it was a dud) I would pull the charging handle, and the extractor hook would pop off the round, and not extract it. I sent it back to Nordic twice and we could not get it to work %100. The let me return to them, and they refunded my money. Nothing but good things to say about customer service and communication with Nordic.

I now have a CMMG upper that for the same reason is back at CMMG being looked at. This is built to the same quality as Spikes, but with modified components (The Eveloution) line has been tested and tweeked at the fatory beyond the standard ciener/spikes parts. Again when the hammer falls and the round does not fire, the charging handle is pulled and about 80% of the time the round is extracted, but %20 it just dribbles out of the chamber and then sits ontop of the next round in the breech requiring the dropping of the magazine to get it cleared. We'll see how this works out. It seems to be very close, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

I have a CMMG dedicated 22 upper, ran great on my RR right out of the box with Fed bulk pac.

Buddy has one and he is still messing around with it.

Had 2 Cinner kits, same thing one ran great one wouldnt run spit.

Kind of luck of the draw.

kind of a long story... bought one of the CMMG drop in conversions for some cheap practice before Ft Benning two years ago (curse you KyleL and the Highsmith rifle drill)....worked as advertised, no malfunctions... about 800 rounds and the insides were really gummed up and accuracy was pretty poor... around 5inches at 50y but ok for muscle memory work on 35y steel.... last year pulled the gas block and tube, covered the gas hole with a stainless screw clamp, shot another 1000 rounds and insides much cleaner... last month, as I was really unhappy with the accuracy...excessive jump to rifling, oversize barrel diameter, and twist rate... bought a .22lr CMMG barrel and feedramp kit and built a dedicated upper with their 1/16 barrel...full floated with a tube from the prize table, and with a Trijicon reflex with 1x with a 6 minute dot, shot some very good groups.. about 3/8 inch at 35y... I can't see any better than that without optics....

Edited by Les Snyder

I have a CMMG dedicated 22 upper, ran great on my RR right out of the box with Fed bulk pac.

Same here, dropped it on my RRA lower right out of the box and let 'em start flying downrange. Haven't put it through long-term abuse, just a couple hundred rounds, but no issues. Bolt hold open actuator was added to the lower after the first ~100 rounds, and it worked perfectly as well. Only thing that needed to be done was slightly file down the 'fit' ribs on the back of the mags so they would drop free. Two dud rounds from the Fed bulk pack, everything else out of that box fired great as fast as I could pull the trigger. No complaints thus far. It is one of the dedicated uppers, outfitted with the stainless kit and collar for ease of cleaning. Hopefully long-term use holds up this well, as I'm very satisfied out of the box.

Edited by AustinWolv

I recently got the stainless steel CMMG kit and dropped it into my RRA. It runs great. It even runs the old Remington Subsonics that NOTHING else would cycle which is good since I have bricks of the stuff I was getting ready to pitch. I got it to work on my CQB stuff in the action bays at my club where you cannot fire high power rounds so this worked great. I shot my first speed steel match with it and it ran perfectly.

It is dirty. I found if I fire copper plated ammo through it there is MUCH less fouling. I just shoot a couple of 5.56 cartridges through it and it's GTG.

My 2 cents.