Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 22" or 24"?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok mystery solved. My buddy has a +6 not a +5, he didn't cut the spring so he couldn't get the last shell in.

Now, for anyone interested, I found these pics which show the 28" barrel uncut with various Nordic extensions.

Cutting the barrel at the support just behind the ports make it a 24", cutting the barrel at the next support back makes it a 22".

Point being, a 24" can run a Nordic +5 without it sticking past the barrel and a 22" can run a Nordic +4 without it sticking past the barrel.

Here is the link, scroll down for the Nordic extension pics. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=126

Edited by deltabravo555

I used my 930 once in IDPA 3gun when it was 28" and it did very well long distance with slug even with birdshot. If I cut it to 22" to make it flush with +4 nordic tube will it affect the performance in terms of distance or pattern? :( How about at 24"? :unsure:

My 28" barrel was sent out yesterday to get cut to 22" and re threaded.

I chose 22" for maneuvering around a little easier

and so it is flush with a +4 for capacity rules.

I am new to the shotgun portion of 3 gun weapons so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment but I don't see a 22" barrel being significantly less accurate than a 24" at 3 gun distances.

Keeping it 28" wasn't an option for me because the 28" is ported and would put me in open class.

Edited by deltabravo555

I receieved my barrel back from GunCat today, exactly how I wanted it and fast turn around! I highly recommend doing business with him.

Here is a quick picture: 22" barrel with Nordic + 4 extension. More goodies are on their way........... thanks for everyones input!

post-31379-078095900 1303178849_thumb.jp

I receieved my barrel back from GunCat today, exactly how I wanted it and fast turn around! I highly recommend doing business with him.

Here is a quick picture: 22" barrel with Nordic + 4 extension. More goodies are on their way........... thanks for everyones input!

Cool! I'm kind of expecting mine would look like that too. When are you going to shoot it? I want to know the difference between the 28" bbl ported and your new 22" bbl in terms of recoil, accuracy and feel. :goof:

Shotgun looks great.

Thanks guys. I never shot the 28", I sent the barrel out brand new and un shot the day after I bought the shotgun. I am shooting this weekend and will post a range report.

The forcing cone was also lengthened and polished by GunCat.

I have a Nordic bolt handle coming and probably putting a 3 gun gear 8rd side saddle on as well.

The only other thing I plan to add is possibly a Nordic clamp, not sure yet.

Thanks guys. I never shot the 28", I sent the barrel out brand new and un shot the day after I bought the shotgun. I am shooting this weekend and will post a range report.

I have a Nordic bolt handle coming and probably putting a 3 gun gear 8rd side saddle on as well.

I'm kind of new to this shotgun stuff. What is forcing cone do? :unsure:

I'm kind of new to this shotgun stuff. What is forcing cone do? :unsure:

I will post a link and description for you that was written by someone who can explain it better than I could. I figured why not have it done while my barrel was already in the shop getting cut and re threaded. It's supposed to reduce felt recoil as well as reduce the amount of deformed pellets which turn into " flyers " that fly out of the pattern, thus increasing accuracy.

If it helps, great and if it doesn't, for $40, oh well.

The Mysterious Forcing Cone from http://www.shotgunchokes.com

"The forcing cone is the constriction at the end of the chamber that forces the load down from chamber size to the size of your shotgun bore. If you hold the barrel up, point the muzzle toward the light and look through it from the chamber end, the forcing cone will appear as a short, dark ring, dark because the angle of the short forcing cone is severe and is hidden from the light. The distance from the beginning to the end is about 1/4 - 1/2", give or take. Most barrels come from the factory with this abrupt constriction, or forcing cone.

When the shotgun is fired, the shot load is immediately FORCED, under tremendous pressure, to squeeze through the abrupt forcing cone to the smaller size of the bore. The shot in the back of the load move first and they have to push the guys in front of them through that abrupt forcing cone. This results in some of the lead shot becoming deformed, making them ballistically unsound and causing them to fly out of the pattern. Lengthening the forcing cone by changing the abrupt angle to a more gentle, gradual constriction results in a new length of around 1 3/4" and a much more gentle angle of constriction. This optimum new length and less severe angle from chamber ID to bore ID allows the shot to make a more gradual transition from chamber to bore size, reducing shot deformation and allowing more of the shot to remain in the pattern.

Cutting this new forcing cone is about half the job. The second half, which is usually overlooked, is the polishing step. It is extremely important for many reasons, which I explain on another page called "Proper Forcing Cone Polishing." I can tell you that I took a brand new barrel that I bought for my son, and being short on time and ready to go hunting I did a quick forcing cone alteration and decided to save the polishing step for the next day so we could go. We went out and hunted, the gun was fired several times, and when we got back I threw it in the safe and forgot about it. Three days later I was in the safe and remembered that I needed to finish that job by polising the forcing cone. What I saw when I looked down in there was amazing. The forcing cone was a mess with a good coating of early surface rust and contamination. Had I left it in there like that for a longer length of time it would have been a total mess. That's when I realized that the polishing step is for more than just performance, it is for closing up the pores on that bright new forcing cone to stop it from rusting and to make it easy to clean. I had to put the reamer in there and take a few more turns to get back to fresh metal again and then I put the polishing job on it. That never happened again. So be sure that if you get your forcing cone lengthened that the polishing step is part of the deal. Guys don't like to do it because it takes so much time, but it has to be done. Please read more on polishing on the other page."

Thinking of getting my 28" barrel cut down to 24" but I want it choked.Asked the gunsmith about using my remington chokes.I measured the end of the barrel and it measured .894 and then measured at the 24" and it was .860.Gunsmith said he could only put thin wall choke tubes in it.What have you guys done to your barrel when choked.

Edited by LONEWOLF58

Thinking of getting my 28" barrel cut down to 24" but I want it choked.Asked the gunsmith about using my remington chokes.I measured the end of the barrel and it measured .894 and then measured at the 24" and it was .860.Gunsmith said he could only put thin wall choke tubes in it.What have you guys done to your barrel when choked.

Two local shooters had the barrel cut to 22" and rethreaded for the Mossberg tubes. The Mossberg tubes are the same thread size as the Remington chokes. I'm guessing he doesn't have the tooling for either the Mossberg (which is the same as Winchokes) or Remchokes.

The established minimum OD for a 12 ga Rem-Choke installation is .845”. This is assuming the bore is the nominal .725” to .729” (and does not exceed .736”) and the bore is reasonably concentric with the outside walls. (BTW - The measurements are the same for Mossberg Accu-choke tubes).

Every 930 I've had my hands on would safely take Rem-Choke or Accu-Choke tubes.

+1 to above

Although I don't have any experience with any other company's threading services, I have to say the thread job GunCat did on my 930SPX barrel was just fantastic. I've heard stories from others that ranged from the shotgun needing to be re-zeroed to as bad as the barrel needing straightening because the thread job was done so badly.

After the thread job done by GunCat, my barrel was still zeroed perfectly. Thanks again GunCat.

Guncat threaded a Moss 930 18.5" home security barrel for me a few weeks back. After threading, i was putting 2 slugs in an A zone of an USPSA target at 30 yards, repeatedly. One group two slugs made one big hole. #7-1/2 shot pattern was centered, 3-4 inches above the beed at 20 yds. So, i am happy with the work he did. Communication was fast and I received the barrel 6 days after dropping it off in the mail. Fast turn around and the work was solid.

Edited by gotigers

This is my 930 with 28"/Nordic mag ext +4/Nordic clamp

post-31583-012879600 1303881824_thumb.jp

After cutting to 22" without clamp courtesy of GUNCAT

post-31583-092915000 1303881837_thumb.jp

and with clamp

post-31583-018407100 1303881851_thumb.jp

So which of the two 22" is better looking, with or without the clamp?

I used the clamp just to make sure it secure the mag ext.

By the way, thanks to GUNCAT. He did an awesome job on my barrel.

Edited by timawa