Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Vs G-34

Ok the questions been asked a lot, but I'm just concerned with trigger comparisons and more specifically custom/aftermarket triggers. How does a Dan Burwell M&P trigger stack up to a high end (Vanek etc.) Glock 34 trigger? What are their characteristics? What are the pros and cons between the two? Thank you very much.

PS I'm going to post this in the Glock section too.

Ok the questions been asked a lot, but I'm just concerned with trigger comparisons and more specifically custom/aftermarket triggers. How does a Dan Burwell M&P trigger stack up to a high end (Vanek etc.) Glock 34 trigger? What are their characteristics? What are the pros and cons between the two? Thank you very much.

PS I'm going to post this in the M&P section too.

Dan's triggers are reported to be very nice on the M&P's. But the Vanek in my G34 is very nice as well and it's a drop in. This leaves me a whole trigger group for a spare. If anything goes wrong I can just swap original parts back in in an emergency.

Aside from the usual back and forth that goes with a topic like this, since this is a "strictly trigger comparisons" thread I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet: For those with experience working on them (as well as other different guns and actions for basis of comparison), how the heck does S&W get away with calling the M&P's trigger action a DAO/safe-action-type?

When the gun is chambered the striker is cocked and captured by the back of the sear, you pull the trigger and the trigger bar moves back, the sear tilts and drops, the striker is released, and BANG! There's really no cocking of the striker of any consequence taking place during the trigger pull, if one wanted to count that slight "bump" on the back of the sear as cocking the striker as it rocks back, therefore supplying the "DA-ness", I'd say that's dubious at best as there's no way around the fact that the striker after the gun has been racked is already cocked to a point where it has all the power it needs without that itty bitty bit of help. Those of us who've seen or performed trigger-jobs on them know that smoothing down that "bump" just lowers the pull weight and does not induce light strikes as it would if it was a critical and essential ingredient to the firing mechanism's system imparting enough spring-load to provide enough striker-force to ignite primers... As far as I can tell an M&P is a single-action gun.

IMO a Glock's trigger, being that it's a DAO/safe-action trigger has a point where it can be brought to that is quite good, but it has it's limitations inherent to it's design (for example: going to a reduced power striker spring to decrease pull weight with the side effect of less reliable primer ignition and a less powerful reset). I see the M&P as a single-action striker-fire design that is hobbled by a soft feeling reset (perhaps maybe even intentionally, if the reset was as solid as a Glock's an M&P might have a propensity to "striker-follow" not unlike like a 1911 that experiences hammer-follow and/or trigger-bounce).

In full disclosure, I prefer a good tuned-up Glock trigger over even the best M&P's as I prefer a more authoritative reset then even heavily breathed-on M&P's can deliver and have experienced a couple broken strikers and other things with M&P's which make them much less reliable than a Glock in my view, that said, I'd say an M&P does indeed have a distinct advantage in breaking shots more crisply and cleanly (as it should being that it's single-action). I don't really have a dog in this fight as I've found I'm more fond of CZ and 1911 triggers, though I do still carry a G26 regularly.

Edited by ck1

I put a Apex Ram in my pro9 and it has a better fill to the reset than my buddies Glock has.I put in the USB from apex,and then found out from them that the new Foward Setting Sear will have a different USB for that,so im not buying enything else.Im ganna just buy everything all at once.

well here is my 2 cents. the Apex drop in stuff is okay but i hate it. for the best M & P trigger someone like Dan needs to do it, so it very short and crip.

yes i vote M & P but not wit drop in parts.

i have only handle 1 glock that i could say was as good. it was one of those very high $ kits and it took him some work to get the set screws right, then it was a matter of which gun you prefer.

but like i said M & P done by a gunsmith has my vote!

yes it even with shipping i believe the cost is lower.