Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Targets

Tizzo

Hi guys,

I'm new (obviously) and am curious what most shooters use for targets for live fire practice. I did a few searches and came up empty. Full size metric targets, scaled metric targets, paper plates, bulls, etc.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

I've got some AR500 steel targets/poppers, and also some regular uspsa cardboard targets (not turtles).

Check out Shooters Connection for new ones, they are a great supporter of the shooting sports, and have some good prices too.

I've got a bunch of static steel plates I bought from GT Targets that work great and don't have to be reset. I also order a bunch of paper practice (cheaper) and regular cardboard targets from target barn to mix in with the steel.

Paper plates stapled to a bunch of 4-5' long wooden stakes pounded in to the ground work great too. You can buy a pack of like 600 at Sam's club for dirt cheap. I did this for a long time while I built up my inventory of other targets etc... I still keep them around for a quick cheap practice session when I don't feel like loading up a bunch of stuff to take to the range. All you need is your plates, the stakes, a hammer, a stapler and a sharpie to mark the holes.

The important thing is to try different stuff and mix up your practice routines so you keep it fun and always learn new things.

Good luck :)

I use the shot up targets from matches. Most club will give you the used targets after the match. Ive got stacks of them in the container at my club

+1. Help tear down a stage after a match and they will likely give you all the targets you want. I also have 4 of these that work great - Steel Targets

I use almost exclusively standard USPSA cardboard since I can't afford to buy a bunch of steel. Welding some together with my father-in-law is in the works, though. I borrowed a few 8" steel circles on stands and a dueling tree from a friend but have since returned them. Those were nice to have.

I've got a bunch of static steel plates I bought from GT Targets that work great and don't have to be reset. I also order a bunch of paper practice (cheaper) and regular cardboard targets from target barn to mix in with the steel.

Paper plates stapled to a bunch of 4-5' long wooden stakes pounded in to the ground work great too. You can buy a pack of like 600 at Sam's club for dirt cheap. I did this for a long time while I built up my inventory of other targets etc... I still keep them around for a quick cheap practice session when I don't feel like loading up a bunch of stuff to take to the range. All you need is your plates, the stakes, a hammer, a stapler and a sharpie to mark the holes.

The important thing is to try different stuff and mix up your practice routines so you keep it fun and always learn new things.

Good luck :)

I do the same as dsmw... Have steel from GT Targets (1/2 ipsc and 10" circles), and MGM ((10" circles and a mini-popper). I also use regular ipsc targets (I bought a box of new targets, and pick up "decent" targets after matches) and paper plates. For ipsc targets, you can either get pasters, or there is a paper tape for painting that id a very good color match...

While I use standard USPSA targets and a few steel plates (Evil Roy from Action Target), sometimes I will just use paper plates stapled to a piece of cardboard that is about the size of a USPSA target. Then I just tape the "misses" that are outside of the plate. It's cheap and I don't have to go down range as much (unless I miss alot :) )

I use paper bags from grocery store, 1 side & bottom is the right size for head down to 'C' zone. Take a cardboard target & cut the 'A' zones out, lay it over the paper & trace the inside of the 'A' zone with a pencil & the lines are not visable @ 10 yards. Get real fancy & cut around the head. Use just the sides & have 'A' & 'C' zones. Patch just like cardboard depending on how shot up the backer is or cut 12X18" pieces of cardboard for the middle of a target.

A $2.00 package of paper plates from Wally World resides in my car's trunk for most of the practice rounds. I have access to cardboard from the company I retired from a couple of years ago. Since I have a lot of free time I trace a used IDPA target (with the 0 down zone cut out) onto the cardboard and cut them with a utility knife. Normally have about 50 sitting around for those times when I want to work on specific drills.

I use paper bags from grocery store, 1 side & bottom is the right size for head down to 'C' zone. Take a cardboard target & cut the 'A' zones out, lay it over the paper & trace the inside of the 'A' zone with a pencil & the lines are not visable @ 10 yards. Get real fancy & cut around the head. Use just the sides & have 'A' & 'C' zones. Patch just like cardboard depending on how shot up the backer is or cut 12X18" pieces of cardboard for the middle of a target.

I'm working on my "tactical tummy," or as some call it the "Organic Recoil Mitigation Material Middle," and have a lot of pizza boxes around. I took a regular USPSA target, put a punch through all the corners, and basically made my own. Papa John's boxes are white, so I'm using those as my "no-shoot" targets. They're basically free, and even the smaller boxes I make an A-B-C zone target.

A $2.00 package of paper plates from Wally World resides in my car's trunk for most of the practice rounds. I have access to cardboard from the company I retired from a couple of years ago. Since I have a lot of free time I trace a used IDPA target (with the 0 down zone cut out) onto the cardboard and cut them with a utility knife. Normally have about 50 sitting around for those times when I want to work on specific drills.

I do this too. A paster in the middle as a bullseye/point of aim, or just make a dot with sharpie work perfect.

Try to set different targets up in different configurations to work on transitions too, and if you can, work on forced mag reloads while on a timer to practice that too, unless it's a cement floor and you're using polymer/alum mags and don't want them dinged up, try to put a pad or something down.

Another BIG thing to check is if the indoor range will even let you use cardboard. Some ranges are picky because the cardboard gets sucked up with the filtration system so some places only let you shoot paper. Check with them before you bring all your nice new targets/pizza boxes, you may have to turn around and put 'em back in your car.

Try to set different targets up in different configurations to work on transitions too, and if you can, work on forced mag reloads while on a timer to practice that too, unless it's a cement floor and you're using polymer/alum mags and don't want them dinged up, try to put a pad or something down.

Another BIG thing to check is if the indoor range will even let you use cardboard. Some ranges are picky because the cardboard gets sucked up with the filtration system so some places only let you shoot paper. Check with them before you bring all your nice new targets/pizza boxes, you may have to turn around and put 'em back in your car.

My range actually requires that the paper targets be taped to cardboard backers... go figure. I was planning on buying some USPSA targets from MidwayUSA, the pizza box idea sounds like a good plan after those paid for targets are shot (pun intended :D )

Two thoughts:

1. if range allows it, I use a medium sized cardboard box

(it stands by itself, and is usually free) - I can

rotate it and shoot three different faces - and it's

about 50% larger than an A zone:)

2. Check out the "Dot Torture" posting a few days ago -

I just tried them at the range, and they're GREAT.

Two thoughts:

I do use the Dot Torture from time to time. Unfortunately I'm stuck in my lane at the range, it's an indoor location. So no drawing, and basically no transitioning.

I get something called end roll from my local newspaper for $1 a roll. It's the remainder of the unprinted newspaper roll that they can't use. You can make lots and lots of simple targets with the roll. I either cut out a torso target sized piece and place target stickers on them, or paint them with $1 black spray paint. To paint them, I took a standard torso target and cut it out. I took the shape of the torso and drew the outline on cardboard. I cut the torso out of the cardboard and now I have a template to draw on the end roll. It's great if you have the time, but if you don't, the first method takes no time at all.

Great ideas. I was talking with a co-worker today, he mentioned we should look into creating targets in AutoCAD and print them out on a plotter, should be much cheaper. Does anyone know if those files are lying around? I've Googled, but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Thanks

Two thoughts:

I do use the Dot Torture from time to time. Unfortunately I'm stuck in my lane at the range, it's an indoor location. So no drawing, and basically no transitioning.

You really don't have to draw to make good use of the Dot Torture

targets. And, if you follow the directions on the target, you

are getting practice at transitions. Small transitions:)

I really like paper plates. If you can, hang them by a piece of string attached to the plate at around 10:00 and 2:00, if you hit in the center, they swing back but if you hit to the sides they twist. Gives you an instant read on where you are hitting.

I use a lot of 1/3 scale targets. Steve Koski has left them scattered across the net. I print them at home on cardboard colored paper.

How high off the ground/floor are these scaled targets typically placed?