Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Targets

Tizzo

I would change them up. Different COF may have you firing with a little elevation, but not too much as to sail one over the back stop. Typically, the targets are set up so the A zone is right about where you would index your gun straight out. The smaller targets are used to simulate distance..

...Unless you have a 100 yd. long indoor range... :wacko:

Two thoughts:

1. if range allows it, I use a medium sized cardboard box

(it stands by itself, and is usually free) - I can

rotate it and shoot three different faces - and it's

about 50% larger than an A zone:)

2. Check out the "Dot Torture" posting a few days ago -

I just tried them at the range, and they're GREAT.

Good suggestions, but be careful doing too much of the box on the ground thing. Before I got competitive, I did that for years. Nothing weirder than shooting level after years of ground practicing.

I work retail and we have these little price signs in fluorescent colors maybe 4" x 6"

at the indoor range I go to they don't like "human" shaped targets and like the post above paper on cardboard only,... but I can set the distance..say 25 ft. or whatever "looks right" use your thumb at a range on real IPSC targets and adjust distance of minis to match...

see where this is heading ? the possibilities :

4 x 6 is upper A zone only... or straight up 4"wide by 6" tall 4 of them to a backer,.. from the bench pistol up acquire and shoot in many different sequences ... read "arrays"

then partially cover those with a different color ( for example yellow is a NS and red is intended target) heck put 5 up like playing cards fanned out 3 yellow 2 red

or 4 yellows covering the corners of a red ( red diamond ) then engage the 2 green ones below to the sides.. fold one in half 2" x 6" ,...looking like a popper isn't it ?

yep mini stages all on a cardboard backer..... just don't shoot too fast as that may gain unwanted attention....:sight:

taught a new shooter on an indoor range one winter with a .22 doing this... her comment at her first match "Damn them targets look HUGE !.." made for some high confidence and she had a lot of A hits..

Hope this helps

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

We used the price tags from Office Max as movers.

Used a coffee mixer straw stapled to a target edge so it sticks out from the frame and then glued (hot glue gun) the string for the price tags to the end of the straw.

The slightest breeze would send the tags moving all over the place.

Good training to get on your sights and stay on them.

I like the paper plate idea too.

Cheap to get a bunch of them and they are the same size as steel you can expect to encounter during a match so home run to use the plates IMHO.

JK

While I use standard USPSA targets and a few steel plates (Evil Roy from Action Target), sometimes I will just use paper plates stapled to a piece of cardboard that is about the size of a USPSA target. Then I just tape the "misses" that are outside of the plate. It's cheap and I don't have to go down range as much (unless I miss alot :) )

This is what I do. A paper plate in the center of the A-zone, tape the misses, and replace the plate every ten hits or so.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit outside of the question you asked, but seeing as you are limited to an indoor range which does not allow drawing from a holster or transitioning to multiple targets, have you considered getting an Airsoft pistol? That would allow you to practice in your garage and you could dry fire with your real weapon to a accustom to drawing and trigger control.

Edited by jdphotoguy

This is a bit outside of the question you asked, but seeing as you are limited to an indoor range which does not allow drawing from a holster or transitioning to multiple targets, have you considered getting an Airsoft pistol? That would allow you to practice in your garage and you could dry fire with your real weapon to a accustom to drawing and trigger control.

I thought about this, but first problem is an XD copy is not made, I'd have to settle for something "close". Also, isn't there an issue with airsoft pistols handling a little bit different from an actual pistol, seeing as how they're plastic?

I thought about this, but first problem is an XD copy is not made, I'd have to settle for something "close". Also, isn't there an issue with airsoft pistols handling a little bit different from an actual pistol, seeing as how they're plastic?

The weight isn't there, sure. But you can practice the fundamentals: drawing from a holster, transitioning to other targets, getting your sights lined up and on target, then moving to another target..

I took a metric target and scaled it with my eyes and cut out dozens of targets of various sizes from a sheet of cardboard. I painted some white, and some with various amounts and styles of black to simulate partials. I can set up various sizes to mimic close and far targets. I've had the same set for over a year now. I think they have really improved my ability to see a good sight picture under varying types of focus, and both before and after getting into position and reloads. Cheap, free, and good.

been using targets that the club was going to throw away cause they were too shot up. Instead of taping I just use chalk to mark the holes to save time. for dryfire practice I made my own scaled down targets using leftover cardboard.

The 1/3 scaled targets are easy to hang on the backer, send the target back and shoot. Colored Post-it notes also work great.

Targets at pistol-training.com: A bunch of targets to print on your printer (including Dot Torture)

Just because the indoor range doesn't allow movements or draws from the holster doesn't mean that you can't work on fundamental skills. Check out the Public Range drills referenced at the ProArms Podcast. Movement and draws can be practiced at home (either dryfire, or with airsoft). :roflol:

The 1/3 scaled targets are easy to hang on the backer, send the target back and shoot. Colored Post-it notes also work great.

Targets at pistol-training.com: A bunch of targets to print on your printer (including Dot Torture)

Just because the indoor range doesn't allow movements or draws from the holster doesn't mean that you can't work on fundamental skills. Check out the Public Range drills referenced at the ProArms Podcast. Movement and draws can be practiced at home (either dryfire, or with airsoft). :roflol:

Here is a direct link to the Public Range Drills PDF, the reference has been moved since the posting of the proarmspodcast.com post.