Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal vs CCI primers, MG vs Berry's Bullets

Mr Freeze

I am a member of a local shooting club and we are getting ready to make a buy on primers and bullets. The prices are very good and especially on CCI SP primers & Berry's bullets. I have always used Federal but the price difference between CCI and Federal is about $4 per thousand. Any reason to stick with Federal for the extra $4/K?

I shoot mostly 9mm and have been using MG 147grn. The club is offering Berry's 147grn RN for $80 less per thousand than what I am paying for MG. Any thoughts?

What gun, what division? From the bullet weight, I'd guess Production &, given that, a striker-fired gun. You'll want to test with CCI to see if your gun'll reliably set 'em off before investing in a large quantity. Feds are a safe bet. You'll happily pay that $4/k if you find out the hard way the CCIs won't work for you.

Check your math on the bullets. $80/k cheaper means you're either getting royally shafted on the MGs or somebody stole those bullets from Berry's (your price would be less than half of what Berry's offers 'em for). ;)

What gun, what division? From the bullet weight, I'd guess Production &, given that, a striker-fired gun. You'll want to test with CCI to see if your gun'll reliably set 'em off before investing in a large quantity. Feds are a safe bet. You'll happily pay that $4/k if you find out the hard way the CCIs won't work for you.

Check your math on the bullets. $80/k cheaper means you're either getting royally shafted on the MGs or somebody stole those bullets from Berry's (your price would be less than half of what Berry's offers 'em for). ;)

Math check: Sorry I meant to say $80 less per case of $3,000. I and paying $280 per case for MG.

I am shooting an STI Trojan 9MM, MG 147grn over 3.3grn of Tight Group

all i shoot is cci and have never had one not go bang. i dont know how much you are paying but i get cci for $110.00 case of 5k at a gun show.

$100/case

I'm paying $160 up here.

Worth the drive down to Fenton, at your price...

all i shoot is cci and have never had one not go bang. i dont know how much you are paying but i get cci for $110.00 case of 5k at a gun show.

$100/case

I'm paying $160 up here.

Worth the drive down to Fenton, at your price...

One catch, you would have to join the local shoot club for $80/year and there is a waiting list. No free lunch I guess. :D

I use CCI's in a Glock 35 with Wolff spring kitand standard striker. Onjly one of 4,000 did not go bang, and when examined that one was obviouslynot seated all the way. When placed on a flat glass top table, it wobbled. As usual it was the "loose nut behind the wheel."

We have found that at minor PF, Berry's are not as accuarate as one might hope. I find I need about 160 PF in 9mm for the Berrys to be as accuarate as the MGs and other jacketed bullets. I shoot Berry's for major and MG for minor.

CCI's are supposedly the hardest ofthe bunch, the federals are the softest, very desireable by my revolver shooter friends who have really lightened triggers, me??? ive run CCI's with no probs whatso ever, as for bullets, the berry's are a plated bullet that people either love or hate, some have good luck with em and they can shoot decent groups with em, and others have trouble gettin patterns with em....again me??? i sucked up the price a long time ago and went true jecketed(MG) and havent looked back, the prices have gone up(what in our sport hasnt) but i KNOW what im gettin with the MG's, and am really confident in their product to provide me excellent groups

CCIs aren't as hard as the new russian primers, which are so hard that they won't even go off sometimes in a stock striker fired gun.

I prefer Federal for small pistol because of the problems I had with Wolf primers, but I have shot lots and lots of CCI in my day and they've always gone bang.

It's really hard to go wrong with Winchester, Federal, or CCI, although Federal are clearly more popular than other primers for our uses, with Winchester being a close 2nd, and all others bringing up the rear.

Considering that all primers are overpriced and have been for a few years, I personally am willing to pay a little more for Federal.

In Large pistol, I've never had one fail to pop, so I'm not anywhere near as picky, although when I exhaust my current supply, I might be.

After all of the good feed back, I still could not decide so I went with mostly Federal primers and 1,000 CCI's to give them a try. I also ordered 5,000 Berry's bullets to see how they shoot. At the club that I shoot at, I am the only one shooting Montana Gold, they all use Berry's so how bad can they be? :unsure:

Edited by Mr Freeze

I am a member of a local shooting club and we are getting ready to make a buy on primers and bullets. The prices are very good and especially on CCI SP primers & Berry's bullets. I have always used Federal but the price difference between CCI and Federal is about $4 per thousand. Any reason to stick with Federal for the extra $4/K?

I shoot mostly 9mm and have been using MG 147grn. The club is offering Berry's 147grn RN for $80 less per thousand than what I am paying for MG. Any thoughts?

I use Federal primers for all my lightly sprung revolvers. However for my semi auto I normally use Winchester but have also used both Remington and CCI. I shoot a lot of Berry's 147 gr. 9mm in my 38 Super revolver loads at ca 900 fps. I prefer the jacketed bullets in the 9mm (124 gr.) although at the 900fps velocity level the Berry's 147 gr. should do well.

Edited by TonyT

We have found that at minor PF, Berry's are not as accuarate as one might hope. I find I need about 160 PF in 9mm for the Berrys to be as accuarate as the MGs and other jacketed bullets. I shoot Berry's for major and MG for minor.

Your comment really has me interested. Are you referring to 147 grain bullets in caliber 9mm? Do you need to get a MV of close to 1100 FPS with 147 grain Berry bullets to produce acceptable accuracy? Can you compare relative accurace between MG and Berry bullets at different velocities? Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

CCI's are a bit harder then everything else I tried except for Magtech. Haven't tried the Russian stuff though. I feed my Limited and Open guns nothing but CCI small rifle cause I scored some at a great price and never once had a problem after 15k rounds or so. CCI small pistol worked fine in my Glock.

I generally prefer Federal cause they're a tad softer, or Winchester. Ammo for major matches get Federal small rifle. Just did a bulk primer order from Graf's, their CCI's were the most expensive stuff they had, more than Fed, Win, Rem. If your gun works with the CCI small pistol and its cheaper go for it. If not, the Federals are a sure bet. Have heard guys complain about Federal primers turning over in a Dillon 650 primer feed tube. Wish I had a 650 to give an opinion...

regarding the Berry's bullets, haven't had any luck with those being pushed to major. bullets would keyhole and shed their plating. Seen the same thing with other shooters with plated bullets pushed to major in .40 and .45. They may be OK at minor velocity. Berry's does recommend no more than "midrange" velocity loadings. If they can be acquired at the same price as lead or substantially cheaper than jacketed Montana Gold, then thats an OK deal. The places I've seen them in stock at sell them at about the same as MG or other jacketed bullet pricing

I've not a primer snob (I even bought Wolf recently when they went way cheap) and have had good success with CCI over the years. They've always been good to me. Personally I prefer jacketed MG, but have used Berry's and if that is all I could get I would be happy with them. Call me easy to please, I guess.