Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-bluing a shotgun

GrumpyOne

I've got a couple of 410 shotguns that were abused (left in a closet for the last 25 years or so, and not oiled), and the rust has completely taken over one of them, to the point that the only way to get the rust off was to sand it off, which obviously takes all the bluing off as well. They really aren't worth much (just sentimental value), so sending them off to get re-blued would actually cost more than what you could buy them new for, so I'm looking for suggestions about re-bluing them. So, tell me what you guys have used, and how well it worked. I'm not looking for a show room quality, just something to make it look somewhat presentable.

Thanks!

Grumpy,

I have an old sentimental shotgun too that it would cost too much to get finished, but not expensive enough to spend the bucks on...and I'm thinking of putting on a Duracoat finish. I just haven't decided which color(s) to put on. Thinking of dark black.

Duracoat

I haven't used it yet and they have multiple ways to apply, but the latest version...shake and spray...looks fairly easy. I also understand the longer you let it dry, the harder it gets.

It's an option.

Mark

Only way to blue them is "real" hot blue.

Spray on finish would be the best.

I was looking into that as well, with a tank and such from Midway...What kind of burner do you need for the hot bluing tank?

You're going to spend at least 400ish to get a hot blue setup. You'd be better off sending it to me. A lot less $$ ;)

Only way to blue them is "real" hot blue.

Spray on finish would be the best.

I was looking into that as well, with a tank and such from Midway...What kind of burner do you need for the hot bluing tank?

You're going to spend at least 400ish to get a hot blue setup. You'd be better off sending it to me. A lot less $$ ;)

As in how much less....The gun new is only around $150.....Duracoat is actually looking pretty good!

Edited by GrumpyOne

An alternative to what Matt said, is if you want DIY, after you have got the parts free of rust and degreased, heat the part with a heat gun and apply cold blue with a clean, soft cloth. It turns out not too bad but nowhere as good as a true hot blue.

I have read that as well about the cold blue, but there are so many different brands out there. One of these 410's is my sister's, and I don't expect it to see much use, much less get dragged out of the closet and oiled once a year, so the Duracoat is looking pretty good for the low to no maintenance aspect of it.

Edited by GrumpyOne

i used Birchwood Casey Super Blue on a new sti frame. what i did is pour the cold blue in a container that the frame would fit it. i heated the frame (after cleaning very well) and droped it in the cold blue for 45seconds. take it out and wash with cold water and rub with steel wool. repeat 2 more times. then heat to dry off all moisture and oil very well. looks ok but not sure you wanna do that with a shot gun.

Send me a PM. If you detail strip your own and send me the barrels and receivers I'll ask my bluing guy to dunk em next time he does a batch (Usually monthly and more often bi-weekly) he usually hits me up for 40 bucks a gun as long as he doesn't have to re-assemble them. Nice dark bluing too.

Send me a PM. If you detail strip your own and send me the barrels and receivers I'll ask my bluing guy to dunk em next time he does a batch (Usually monthly and more often bi-weekly) he usually hits me up for 40 bucks a gun as long as he doesn't have to re-assemble them. Nice dark bluing too.

Thanks for the offer, but the shipping and the $40 per is actually more than they are really worth! :roflol:

I'm gonna Duracoat them, that way when my sister leaves it sitting in the closet for the next 20 years, it won't be in quite as bad of shape.... :roflol:

On a side note, make sure you check the color of the Duracoat you order...I ordered Royal Blue, thinking it would be Colt's Royal Blue.......NOT! it's more like ocean blue! So, I have a bottle of Duracoat Royal Blue if someone wants to kick me $10-15 for it...I re-ordered "Gun Blue" after talking with the Duracoat people....

Ive used Oxpho blue and Dicopan from Brownells. Both work well for touch up. You might want to give them a look. I like them much better then the Birchwood Casey cold blue.

The Oxpho is available in both a cream and a liquid. Both work better than any grade of the Birchwood Casey cold blues I've used.

With patience and fine steel wool, you may get something that will be satisfactory and economical.

Curtis

If they are double barrels or have soldered on ribs you don't want to hot blue as it will loosen the soft solder. Brownells has a hot water blue that works pretty well and is pretty tough, you just have to re-apply until it looks good. Ceracote is the best IMO, much tougher than any of the other spray on finishes and you can get the air dry version so there is no issue with finding a big enough oven.

If they are double barrels or have soldered on ribs you don't want to hot blue as it will loosen the soft solder. Brownells has a hot water blue that works pretty well and is pretty tough, you just have to re-apply until it looks good. Ceracote is the best IMO, much tougher than any of the other spray on finishes and you can get the air dry version so there is no issue with finding a big enough oven.

They are bolt action Mossberg 410's...Sold new 30 years ago for $110 each, selling on Gunbroker now (in fair condition!) for $140. Like I said, they are more sentimental than anything else...

There's a youtube video of Larry Potterfield preping a gun barrel and then blueing. I just searched for "gun blueing" and picked his video(s), its a part 1, part 2 video. I'm going to do the same thing with a Winchester Model 12 I bought last weekend. Give it a look.

Gary

Any before/after pics?

Let's just say the before was about as ugly as ugly could get, reciever and barrel totally covered in rust, stock varnish worn off (if there ever was any). I refinished the stock as well. IMO, it looks almost new...Like I said though, the blue isn't quite right when you get it into the sun, more of a deep blue/gray, but it's not an issue at any rate. I'll try and get some pics up later...

GrumpyOne, I'd sure like to take a look at it. I've been meaning to get Duracoat for an old shotgun I have and re-finish it, just never got that far. Maybe taking a look at yours will get me motivated.