Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY striker lightening

Pro-Pain

Was debating trying to lighten my own striker. Anyone try this? Is it possible? Any do's/dont's? Anything you would recommend if you had to do it over again?

(still debating whether to try or not, horror stories welcome)

FWIW I've done two with a dremel. On one of them I removed way too much material near the foot of the striker and it broke after about 10k rounds. On the other, I removed much less metal, but I still get light strikes ocassionally with CCI primers. I think I'm going to order another one and try Joe's suggestion since we just got a new drill press at work.

ETA:

There's a thread around here somewhere with detailed pictures of the same cut I used. Just a big stripe down one side with the thick cutting wheel. It's ugly, but can work.

Edited by Rob D

FWIW I've done two with a dremel. On one of them I removed way too much material near the foot of the striker and it broke after about 10k rounds. On the other, I removed much less metal, but I still get light strikes ocassionally with CCI primers. I think I'm going to order another one and try Joe's suggestion since we just got a new drill press at work.

ETA:

There's a thread around here somewhere with detailed pictures of the same cut I used. Just a big stripe down one side with the thick cutting wheel. It's ugly, but can work.

Awesome, what I was looking for, thanks!

If you take metal out of the wrong spot, couldn't you defeat the safety plunger? Be careful!

WG

Off of the top, yes. Which is why I was looking for advice, and why I was only going to use this in a competition gun, not an everyday carry gun. Probably going to break down and just buy a new striker though, kind of thin on materials I could find on the subject.

If you take metal out of the wrong spot, couldn't you defeat the safety plunger? Be careful!

WG

Probably going to break down and just buy a new striker though, kind of thin on materials I could find on the subject.

Jager.

I lighten all of mine w/a Dremel. Using a cut off blade make cuts along the length of the firing pin in the fat area. Cut off some of the material on the back of the FP (the sear area). W/the sear pointed up make a 45* cut on the left side of the sear.

I think looking at the firing pin from the back as if it was in the gun the 45* cut would be on the right side. Correct?

There hasn't been a precision firearm made that cannot be totally screwed up by non-judicious application of a Dremel tool. Ask me how I know this.

My mentor for USPSA, on doing a trigger job with a dremel, polishing the contact surfaces, told me that a Dremel is a gunsmith's best friend.

I said, "Oh, because you can make all the parts fit and get them the exact size you want, right?"

He told me, "No, because shooters hack their parts to pieces and bring them to a 'smith to fix. Dremel tools are job security for gunsmiths."

My mentor for USPSA, on doing a trigger job with a dremel, polishing the contact surfaces, told me that a Dremel is a gunsmith's best friend.

I said, "Oh, because you can make all the parts fit and get them the exact size you want, right?"

He told me, "No, because shooters hack their parts to pieces and bring them to a 'smith to fix. Dremel tools are job security for gunsmiths."

I have never seen the need for a Smith with a Glock.

There hasn't been a precision firearm made that cannot be totally screwed up by non-judicious application of a Dremel tool. Ask me how I know this.

Not so sure the words precision firearm apply to a Glock..............so go for it with the Dremel! :sight:

Just kidding folks :roflol: I say go for it and post some results!