Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accuracy on a budget

There are a lot of semi auto pistol out there under your budget. What's important is how comfortable are you with it? plastic vs. metal? heavy vs. light? 9 vs .40 vs. 45? These are some questions you need to ask? What competition are you planning? Production ? limited? single stack? limited 10? bianchi?

I believe it's always the indian and not the arrow...

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Yagi

Not knowing your reply to Yagi's questions, for a nice 1911 range gun I think the STI Spartan is hard to beat. Very accurate and just a little over 6 bills. Plus you can "deck it out" if you get into serious competition

Not knowing your reply to Yagi's questions, for a nice 1911 range gun I think the STI Spartan is hard to beat. Very accurate and just a little over 6 bills. Plus you can "deck it out" if you get into serious competition

Unfortunately, I live in California where the STI Spartan is illegal. I'm looking for a Production class gun, but I would also like to shoot Bullseye with it. I am not a competitive shooter so it does not have to be a 1911 or Beretta 92. I would prefer a 9mm.

I'm guessing that there won't be a lot of guns that are good for both production division and bullseye. For a production gun, it's hard to beat the Glock 34. I don't even own one, but every time I shoot my friend's it's like it just shoots itself.

I bought an Armscor made .45 acp, for $450.00, I think it is an RIA, I don't remember. However, it seemed to shoot pretty well, so I lightened the trigger, installed an adjustable rear sight, a f.o. front sight, put in a full length guide rod, a lighter trigger and hammer, and, voila, it shoots 1 1/2" @ 25 yards all day long with Winchester white box 230 grain ball ammo. It also seem to shoot almost any of my reloads equally as well. Several days ago I was looking at picking up a brand new Colt 1911, .45acp., series 80 for around $750.00. I was allowed to test fire it and it shot 3 1/2" groups @25 yards and that was the best I could get out of it. It still needed an adjustable sight and trigger work. Go figure.

It seems that many people that I relayed the story about my Armscor pistol to had similar experiences. Armscors are cheap and pretty darn accurate right out of the box.

Good shooting!

What do you consider accurate? Unsupported or from a bench? What's the longest range you will be shooting out to? Honestly, most guns with a good trigger and sights will out shoot the shooter.

Plastic guns tend to be harder to bench rest, especially those with a sloppy slide to frame fit but standing unsupported at 25+ yards I doubt you'd see a huge difference.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm - several for less than $575 on GunsAmerica.com. http://www.gunsamerica.com

As was mentioned, CZ's are very good as well.

In the "Technical" area of this forum, there are several sub-forums for various gun manufacturers: Ruger, CZ, S&W, Beretta, etc. You might want to read through these and see what folks hear are saying, what problems they're having, what mods they have to make. Might help you make a decision.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

What do you consider accurate? Unsupported or from a bench? What's the longest range you will be shooting out to? Honestly, most guns with a good trigger and sights will out shoot the shooter.

Plastic guns tend to be harder to bench rest, especially those with a sloppy slide to frame fit but standing unsupported at 25+ yards I doubt you'd see a huge difference.

I'm happy with a 2" group at 25 yards.

Sam

Why is the Spartan illegal in CA?

I am planning on moving to CA and would like to bring along a Spartan can I bring one in that was purchased in another state?

Also. What do find guys using for mags at matches 10 rounders or are hi cap common even with the ten round limit in ca?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

+4 (if I counted correctly) on the cz. I bought a 75bd because it just fits my hand perfectly and points very naturally, and I've been quite pleased with the accuracy. Base price for that model is around $500 and if you get one from czcustom.com you can order it with an upgraded smoother trigger assembly and still be well within your budget. I'd get wood grips for it too just because they're pretty. I think the sp01 is barely too heavy for IDPA, but is probably a bit better target gun than the 75 due to the heavier barrel.

I can't put a link in my post, but you can figure it out.

czcustom.com/CZ-UB-USA-Factory-Pistols.aspx

+5 on the CZ!

Here is the link Moto was trying to post Link to CZ Custom

SP01 out of the box is a great gun. If you want to spend money on a trigger job down the road, it will be an even a better gun. Or you could throw down the money now and just buy the Shadow. Better trigger out of the box because no Firing Pin Block ( among other things, just trying not to write a book here). If you're shooting USPSA Production, it's legal. If you take the FPB out of an SP01, that is not legal.

Plus Angus and Rob at CZ Custom are awesome to deal with.

The shoot,shoot,shoot, advice is one of the best tid bits of wisdom you could get. Unless you are extraordinarily gifted, whichever pistol you get will most probably outshoot your abilities. Get whatever you can get at a price you can afford and shoot the heck out of it. The chances are by the time you need a more accurate gun, you will have spent several new pistols worth of money on ammunition/components. And by that time you will be a way better shooter.