Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What .45 ACP ammo has small primers?

silvercorvette

If you want to save time and reading you can skip everything I wrote and read the last sentence.

The topic was discussed in another thread, the topic also came up on the 1911 forum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119618&st=0&p=1354909&hl=45%20acp%20small%20primer&fromsearch=1entry1354909

But my question involves trying to find out what factory ammo has small primers if I need to buy ammo in the future.

Here is what happened, I bought a bullet feeder and added three boxes of ammo to bring the total dollar amount up high enough to get cheaper shipping and intended on reloading the brass after i fired the ammo.

I never gave primer size a second thought until I read about .45 ACP ammo with small primers on the 1911 forum. I decided to check my ammo to make sure my ammo had the proper size primers and discovered my ammo had small primers. The box is blue and white marked "Independence". The brass is marked Blazer .45 auto, and the back of the box says made in USA.

I hope this isn't going to become a new trend that going to cause problems. I normal inspect all my brass for cracks or splits but this is just going to add one more thing to check.

I haves thousands of tumbled large prime brass and I doubt that I am going to reload these things unless I wind up finding a bunch of range pick ups. But it looks like I used up a lot of words and still haven't asked the question that was the reason I started this thread.

I hope this small primer thing does not become popular because it is going to add another step to sorting range pick ups and make sifting through range pick up a pain in the tail

What other brands of .45 ACP ammo is manufactured with small primers so I will know what to avoid in the future? Hopefully I will have my press set up in the future so there won't be a reason to buy factory ammo. But if it becomes more common it is going to be a PITA checking primer size.

Winchester NT, Federal NT, and CCI Blazer NT. I called CCI about the reason for small primers in 45's when I first noticed some of the brass laying at my range. I was told that "NT" stands for non toxic and the priming compound is different than conventional priming. This new compound's characteristics works best in the small primer and is only available in small primers. So all ammo that is "NT" has to have Small Primers. I can't attest to that information being completely true, but that's what I was told.

The real reason you see the NT priming compounds is in small primers is the brisance of the priming compound. The original lead free mix, by CCI, was loading in large primers. The problem found was that it peened the breach face of some (brands of) guns.

The original attempt to fix the problem was to enlarge the flash hole. That helped, but Federal went to the small prime first (as far as I know) and, additionally, has crimped them in place.

So, it's not that the priming compound "has" to have a small primer, it's that the guns have to have it.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far I have identified 4 seperate headstamps of .45 ACP brass that contain small primers:

CCI Blazer Brass

Win NT

Fiocchi

Federal (Wally World stuff in maroon boxes)

So far I've collected about 2/3 of a 3 gallon bucket full of the stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am looking at buying a large amount of SP .45ACP brass... Found two vendors that advertise but they also have poor customer service histories...

I think I sent Starline an Email requesting .45 +p or .45 Super brass with small primer pockets. I like the idea and once converted it is not evil anymore... (easier to sort your brass from others if using small primers)

How is the small primer's ability to ignite the powder different from large primers? I figure most .45 uses a large primer for a reason.

There is no difference, or a minisule difference.

Technology changes in 100 years.