Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What AR Barrel Length and Gas System Do You Perfer For Competition?

Kevin J

Since I started sponsoring the forum, I've received a lot of questions and requests about barrel/gas system combos that are not usually found (Thanks by the Way!). I thought a poll about what folks are using would be beneficial for the whole community.

Personally, I'm starting to fall in love with 17" intermediate systems. They shoot soft but function like clockwork! So what do you like to use for competition?

Edited by Kevin J

My new rifle is an irons gun, so I went with 20 so I could get that front sight further out there.

Otherwise I would have gone 18 with rifle gas.

I didn't realize how much more jumpy a carbine was when I built my first AR. If I had, I would have built a mid-length carbine instead of carbine length gas. The difference between my 16in carbine gas and 20in rifle gas with adjustable gas and LMOS+lightened buffer is incredible. :goof:

Who makes 16" rifle-length light profile barrels? If we're talking about the Dissipator barrels, aren't these typically 3-4MOA at best?

---

Would love to see the return of the JP 18" rifle-length ultralight-profile barrel (29oz). Last time I called them (about July 2010), they said they'd never make it again. Am currently running a 17" rifle-length medium-contour MSTN/Noveske (34 oz) and love it, but if that JP ever goes into production again, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

Who makes 16" rifle-length light profile barrels? If we're talking about the Dissipator barrels, aren't these typically 3-4MOA at best?

---

Would love to see the return of the JP 18" rifle-length ultralight-profile barrel (29oz). Last time I called them (about July 2010), they said they'd never make it again. Am currently running a 17" rifle-length medium-contour MSTN/Noveske (34 oz) and love it, but if that JP ever goes into production again, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-16L8 Light profile 16"

---

sabre.

While previous posts I've made I stated I saw no difference in middy gas and Carbine recoil system vs rifle gas, etc..., the more I shoot my 18" rifle gas w/rifle recoil system I am convinced that they are softest shooting rifle out there, just deciding which comp I like the best. The 16" Sabre has been my primary since I won the complete rifle out of a raffle, I think the SJC comp kept it so flat and on target, I didn't really pay attention to the actual recoil impulse itself, just the sight picture between the double taps. But the others I built and gradually am moving more towards the 18's w/rifle gas/rifle recoil systems.

Sabre 16 middy gas, Carbine buffer tube, H3 buffer, ACS Stock, SJC comp

Sabre 18 middy gas, Carbine buffer tube, H buffer, ACS Stock, F2 Comp but now Vortex FH (Zombie gun)

WOA 18" rifle gas, rifle recoil system, ARFX stock, F2 comp

Douglas CM 18" rifle gas, rifle recoil system, A1 stock, Rolling thunder comp

I vote 20". The caliber needs all the help it can get.

My 20" gun with Rolling Thunder comp (fixed stock) is still shorter than my 21" Benelli M1. They are roughly the same length, though, which makes the way I have to work in and around ports and walls basically the same with either gun.

current rifle is a 16 midlength bc thats what i wanted when i bought an AR "just because". I have since transformed it into a 3-gun rifle and ts serving me well thus far (albeit, hasnt been challenged much-plan to change that this year). If/When I get a new rifle/upper it will be an 18" with a rifle length system.

Who makes 16" rifle-length light profile barrels?

sabre.

Thanks--do you happen to know the SKU? Sabre's website catalog doesn't list the gas-lengths on any of their barrels. Google's not turning up anything on it either.

To anyone else looking, CMMG makes a 16" rifle-length barrel, but it's probably not better than 3MOA.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-16-inch-MedCon-Rifle-5.56-Barrel-1194

Who makes 16" rifle-length light profile barrels?

sabre.

Thanks--do you happen to know the SKU? Sabre's website catalog doesn't list the gas-lengths on any of their barrels. Google's not turning up anything on it either.

To anyone else looking, CMMG makes a 16" rifle-length barrel, but it's probably not better than 3MOA.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-16-inch-MedCon-Rifle-5.56-Barrel-1194

Why don't you have the Original Poster make you what you want? It would be everything you are looking for. ....and he may talk you into something that shoots even better, is more reliable and will last longer then anything else. I read some of the tech articles/white papers on his website and I was impressed. I already have one barrel on order but I like the idea of the 17" with intermediate gas. I'm gonna order one in about a week, after SMM3G.

How much do you sell your 17" intermediate gas system barrel? Barrel would be stainless with a medium contour profile. What is the weight? Thanks in advance.

17" intermediate systems. I'll bite. Who is making that setup?

I actually feel dirty answering this :)

I've been doing them.

How much do you sell your 17" intermediate gas system barrel? Barrel would be stainless with a medium contour profile. What is the weight? Thanks in advance.

17" intermediate systems. I'll bite. Who is making that setup?

I actually feel dirty answering this :)

I've been doing them.

PM Sent

Benny Hill at Triangle will turn out a DPMS or a Lothar any way you want it. Must already be 600 pages on this subject, did we really need a poll.-----------Larry

Your right about there being a ton of info already existing in the forum. I just thought it would be useful to have a tabulation of folks preferences.

Why don't you have the Original Poster make you what you want? It would be everything you are looking for. ....and he may talk you into something that shoots even better, is more reliable and will last longer then anything else. I read some of the tech articles/white papers on his website and I was impressed. I already have one barrel on order but I like the idea of the 17" with intermediate gas. I'm gonna order one in about a week, after SMM3G.

I'd rather go with premade name-brand barrels. It's mainly about having a bunch of people out there that have "beta tested" the same barrel already and helped the manufacturer work out the kinks. For instance, I went with the MSTN 17" rifle-gas knowing that Taran Butler and dozens of Butler-fanbois had tested it already. What's the right twist, the right gas hole diameter, the right buffer weight, etc.? They had already figured it out and written a body of knowledge about it, available on the net.

It is an even greater risk to take the even-shorter 16" barrel and try to make the rifle-length-gas work. If I were to custom order this length from any maker, I'd be the guinea pig and might have to suffer many matches full of cycling problems, etc., before getting it right.

Of course, one could argue that I should simply go with a 16" midlength, since that has definitely had its kinks worked out, but rifle-gas has around 5000psi less gas port pressure than a midlength (according to the first chart on this site: http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml) which of course results in much less violent cycling.

I was so impressed by the rifle-gas on my 17" that I consider it a must-have on all my future barrels. But I've always liked the lower weight of most 16" barrels (and JP's ultralight 18") and consider my 17" to be a pig. Why not combine the two: light weight+long gas?

If only the Dissipator barrels were available in a consistently 1MOA construction...

Edited by dchang0

Dissipators don't have a rifle length gas system. They usa a mid-length gas system with a low pro gas block and a fixed front sight block at the rifle length possition. This gives the reliability of a midlength with the sight radious of a rifle (at least in theory). There is only one manufacturer of a 16" barrel with rifle length gas system that I know of and that is DPMS. I believe it is a 1/9 twist with a heavy profile though.