Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Loads

PaulW

My local supplier ( also an IPSC shooter) said that VV powders were going up $3 a pound!! He cancelled a 100 lb order and is going to try some of the new Ramshot competition powders. They claim they have one that is very similar to N320 and N350. The N350 is what I use now, but $77 per 4lbs is getting pretty steep.

He could not remember the exact name of the Ramshot, blue something. Anybody out there tried any of this? Of course Ramshot claims it cleaner than N350, lower pressures, and meters just as well. My supplier will be selling it for $57 per 4 lbs. Of course Ramshot is going to say high things about it to sell it, the real world is another story.

Anyone??????

He could not remember the exact name of the Ramshot, blue something. Anybody out there tried any of this?

I know one person who shoots it. Its called True Blue. He said it was close to n320 and relatively clean. The major reason to shoot it is the price. I just checked again and the ramshot websight is still down, allthough they have an ETA of febuary 2004. :Dramshot

No just a low demand for the US Dollar, it has dropped in value v's EVERYTHING.

So seeing as the Fin's like being paid in the Kronar they want more of your $$$$$ to make up. Plus the parasites in international shipping have bumped the Hazmat charges for Seafreight nearly 25% in the last year. It all adds up.

Erik wrote:"At $77/4#, I'll have to say goodbye to N320 and hello to my old friend Clays.There must have been a high demand for nitrocellulose somewhere in the world over the past year"

Noticed a shooter using Clays in .40 Major (long loaded for an STI) the other night at our local match (www.shootersparadise.com). I have criticized Clays in .40 in the past but if V V is going up that much maybe I'll take the risk, load Clyas in .40 & just keep the rounds in an ice chest/cooler during Summer.

If there is one of the RamShots that works & is close to N320, somebody please name it; apparently (from post above) True Blue is closer to N350. Then we will need a load for long loaded .40.

The problem I see is data; how many times have you heard shooters complain: "that V V stuff is brand new (yeah, its only been around the US for over 15 years - brand new!) and there's no data yet!!" Which company has data on Ramshot? Would they approve of a .40 major/ 180 grn load using one of there faster powders?? If the VV prices increase, I'd give RamShot a try.

No just a low demand for the US Dollar, it has dropped in value v's EVERYTHING.

So seeing as the Fin's like being paid in the Kronar they want more of your $$$$$ to make up. Plus the parasites in international shipping have bumped the Hazmat charges for Seafreight nearly 25% in the last year. It all adds up.

The Fins are calculating in Euro's now. VV in the USA is cheaper than VV over here in EU :angry:

DVC, Henny.

TG is not so good for Sooper Major. :(

What are the non-Viht powders suitable for Sooper Major? HS6, HS7, AA7, AA9, W540, WAP, W571, 7625, 4756, Silhouette, SP2, Power Pistol, Blue Dot...? (Yeah I know some of those are no longer available in the U.S. and I said suitable not necessarily the best.)

I believe the Ramshot powder closest to VV N320 is ZIP. I think it is actually somewhere between N320 and N330 in burnrate. I've used 12 pounds of ZIP and was pleased with it, but N320 still felt better. Cleanliness comparable to N320 or Clays and didn't smoke much with jacketed rounds (180g MG JHP) but did smoke more with lead bullets than N320 or clays. When I was using ZIP, no published data made major with 40 S&W so as usual be careful when pushing the envelope we seem to be so fond of doing. Good Luck.

Chad

TY-39243

What cjl32 said about ZIP. It is the closest thing to N320. I have used Ramshot Silhouette in .40 behind 200gr. lead. The Silhouette slower than the ZIP. I found that the Silhouette is even slower than WSF and N340 if you have any experience with them.

Tyro

You may want to look at IMR for your Super if you decide to switch from VV.

I had a hard time getting 3N38 last year so I tried 7625 and 4756. My comp (STI S-2 on 5") didn't like the 7625 but the 4756 felt VERY similar to the 3N38 load I usually use. I got my first loads assembled just in time for a local match and was a little hesitant to use them but it was all I had. They felt very good to the point I was wondering about making major. Chronoed a few days later and 181. Wow.

Pros of 4756: Cheap, american made, readily available , relatively quiet.

Cons of 4756: A little dirtier than VV (isn't EVERYTHING?).

BTW, the loads I worked up (use at own risk, assume no responsibility, etc):

124FMJ + Starline 38Super + Winchester small pistol

8.5 4756 = 181pf

8.2 4756 = 170pf

Guys, you shold be happy with the prices for Vihtavuori powders in US. In Finland, where they produce the powder, our comrades have to pay some USD 36 per lb.

If anyone is interested the gasolin cost well over $ 4 / gallon and avg. tax rate is something like 35 %.

God bless them

Paul,

I wish I'd known you were shooting with us last Sat. I would have liked to have put a face to the name. If you try the ramshot let us know how you like it. If you shoot with any limited guys that try it and like it I'd like to know that also. N320 has been hard to find lately.

I did some testing with Ramshot True Blue. Its burn rate is close to 3N37 which I was using. True Blue is very fine much like SP2. It meters very well with the Arradondo powder bar.

I worked up a load for my open blaster. 124 gr armscor bullet, 8.7 grains, winchester small rifle primer, Armscor Brass, col 1.245. Chrono'ed at 170 PF. If you try this power start at about 8.2 and work up. My blaster has a hybrid and a aggresive comp.

Results.....I LOVE IT. Once the last of the VV is gone, I will be using True Blue for open. There are several top shooters in the northwest using Ramshot Competion in there 40's and loving it.

Give them a try.

Ktyler

If anyone is looking to swich from VV, I have tried Silhouette, WSF, 231, WST, N340 and titegroup. I have mostly been shooting these powder behind 200 gr LEAD in .40 limited. I absolutely believe that WST is the best (outside VV powders). It's pretty clean with lead, shoots soft and is reasonably priced; definitely worth taking a look at.

TYRO

PS- WST also has some very good numbers at the chrono (standard dev.)