Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooters - But Not at My Club

BillChunn

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you guys address when briefing a new shooter? I'd appreciate any new ideas.

Among other things...

it is a natural tendency for everyone, when they grab a gun, for their finger to immediately go to the trigger. That is one of the worst gun handling habits you can have and has to be corrected to shoot in formal competitions. If you are doing anything other than actively engaging targets your finger needs to be clearly outside the trigger guard...not just off the trigger, but clearly outside the trigger guard. If your're drawing, if you're reholstering, if you're reloading, if your're moving (and not whooting while moving), your finger needs to be clearly outside of the trigger guard. Again, if you're doing anything other than actively engaging a target, your finger needs to be clearly outside the trigger guard. This is one of those safety rules that is there for your protection, my protection, the protection of everyone else around, and the protection of our sport. Any violation of this is too serious to let you coninue for the day.

Other common mistakes that can also result in a DQ are (I usually have an orange dummy gun that I use to demonstrate what people do wrong and how they should do it right):

• Breaking the 180. Be especially careful when reloading. If a stage has the potential for a reload while moving laterally, I recommend that right handed shooters reload while moving from left to right.
  • Sweeping yourself while drawing or reholstering. Get a holster that is sufficiently rigid to retain its shape and practice reholstering with one hand.
  • Everyone is aware of muzzle direction when firing the gun but too many people (that are new to the safety practices demanded during competition) relax and completely forgot about muzzle control when they finish firing. Too often I have seen people finish firing and then drop their hands straight down and even turn around when they finish. When you are finished, get your finger out of the trigger guard, keep the gun pointed downrange, and await instructions from the RP. They will be ....
  • When transitioning from one side of a barricade to the other, finger out of the trigger guard and pull the weapon back toward you with the muzzle still pointed downrange. Make sure you are sufficiently far back away from the barricade that you don't catch it with the gun when you move. Do not point the gun up nor down as you swing from one side to the other...straight back, then move.
  • Similar thing when you shoot through a port...in general you don't want to get into a port but rather shooot through it from a foot or two away. If you doo need to get into it make sure that you get your finger out of the trigger guard and pull the gun back to you and make sure that it is completely out of the port before you try to move to either side. If you don't, this can happen (demostrate here).
  • Most important, be safe. Do not sacrifice any safety for speed. Safety first, accuracy second, speed...some other day.

In Canada we have the Black badge course, which everyone who wants to join IPSC has to pass. The course lasts a full weekend and covers everything: the rules, the safe handling of the gun, etc... It also covers basic shooting technique for IPSC. And it is not all theory, we get to shoot around 800 rounds during that weekend. Once you pass the class, you have to participate in a match without being disqualified and then you get your IPSC membership.

The one thing that was a constant at all times: if you are not engaging a target, keep your finger off the trigger.

This was for me the best introduction to the sport: getting instruction from a GM, meeting a bunch of newbies who were just as green as I was, getting tips from experienced IPSC shooters who were assisting the instructor.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to have a new shooter mentorship program that we are starting this year. Each new shooter will be asigned to an experienced shooter (mentor) and the new shooter will squad with the mentor. Another thing that we are doing is the first match is free for newbs, the shooter will be coached during the COF and no score will be posted.

www.mapsa-uspsa.com

Good idea. You could also run a 101 match. We have one that's been running for some 20+ years at our range. While its not mandatory to shoot before shooting the local matches it does introduce new people to the sport without the stress of competition. In fact it's darn fun. A gunsmith is present as are more experienced shooters to give guidance to the new shooter. This type of program does work. Might be a good idea like the one above to institute at all clubs.

In my experience, new shooters that are likely to come back will take advice and be thankful for it. The guys that don't want to listen to a more experienced shooter already know everything and they won't come back to the next match because their performance isn't up to their own image of themselves. It creates a cognitive dissonance and they are happier remaining in the gun shop and telling everyone what a great shooter they are.

Do it privately as not to embarriss the shooter. Just let him know to watch it and suggest ways to work on it ie pick a spot for the finger on the gun etc. Just word it as your trying to help him out as opposed to look how bad and unsafe you are.

+1. It's not rocket science. I just started shooting competitively last spring, and right at the start several people were very helpful, and I appreciated it. Sometimes the conversation wasn't really directed at something specific I was doing, but general tips or 'things that were hard for me right at first'.

Our weekly league nights are quite relaxed and are mostly a practice session for people taking part in the monthly level 3 matches.

The (rather informal) stage briefing/walkthroughs will always emphasize the basic trigger finger rules and 180 - down to where to be when shooting targets close to 180 and to get the point across.

I think it works well that way. If an infraction occurs, the RO would talk to the individual alone afterwards, and emphasize the point at the next stage's briefing.

• 1 month later...

at my club this year, at least for IDPA we started running 101 and 102 classes as well as had a separate new shooter briefing to go over basic commands and expectations before each match.

As a SO i take it upon my self to provide new (and seasoned) shooters with feedback, good, bad or indifferent. The key i have found is to reinforce the good behavior and throw compliments at the (new) shooter when you see improvements on things you have corrected before. on a side note, it was great to watch one of our new shooters grow over a 6 month period in both safety and shooting proficiency.

• 1 month later...

I've called out "FINGER!!" before to experienced shooters even when I was not ROing the stage. When I am ROing a stage, I'm usually looking at the shooter the whole time, I could care less what targets are being hit, it's my job to make sure the shooter is following the safety rules above all else. Pistols are dangerous tools when handled carelessly or by beginners. It takes very little movement for a pistol to swing past the 180, to go over a berm, etc.

If you are not ready to speak up about a safety violation, then grow a pair and come back when you are ready! Our sport would not survive without the constant devotion to safety.

If you are all friends its ok to call the "FINGER", but that tact would not work with beginners or guys you don't know. Once they KNOW the rule, and you know they can handle it, call them on it at the time they are doing it. But I agree, the first time a private talk would be the best way to approach the beginning shooter.

I think its a shame when a shooter who knows better, is allowed to continually break the rules, usually because nobody calls him out on it!