Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Optics Kool Aid Likes and dislikes

Scott at Vortex sent me a note that JP Rifles are in-fact a Vortex dealer now , but you will have to call in and possibly talk strait to MR ! John him self

JP site does not have the Vortex scope listed yet,

And you may be able to get a Cap by showing your Vortex to Scott at SMM3G :cheers:

You guys with out the Fever will have to suffer the harsh effects of the sun :devil:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any experience with the 2.5-10x Vortex Viper PST?

That's what I used for the second part of last year.

I am very happy with it.

Here's two match vids of the Vortex PST 2.5-10 in action if you haven't seen them yet:

Definitely Effective

Nick

Razor 1x4: which reticle are you guys using? They list a CQMR-1 & A EBR-556. Why would you pick one over the other?

Mr Witt

The EBR 556 is the what I like , You can range easy with it on 10" targets and full size USPSA targets out to 700 yards quickly. I have not shot my Razor past 550 yet though.

The range bars have a Full Value wind-age size to each distance with a gap in the center that is 19" wide For the hits at 500 yards I just bracket the target and spank the trigger.

close target I just use the entire tree like a large see-through dot.

Shooters that are not ready to "invest" in a new scope do not want to look through it more than once. Its so nice a young lady this week end did not want to try it at 500 yards for fear she would trash can the scope she is using.

I gave the scope its best work out this weekend for distance variation. and doping for wind with just the bars out past 500.

I have a few photos posted in a Vortex thread called "Vortex Razor my first report" the thread has some ranging solutions in it.

JF

I am very happy with it.

Thanks!

Mine arrived yesterday and... I'm not sure what to think. Outer shipping box is pristine, but the *inside* of the scope box looks like it was shaken by a gorilla for a week or two. Scope was loose inside the box, all the little "cut-outs" that should have held the scope in place were bent/battered/torn.

I called the vendor to see if this is "normal", they haven't returned the call. I'm reluctant to mount the scope before I know whether or not it is likely to have been damaged in shipping (or a return/refurb?!?)

Thanks!

Mine arrived yesterday and... I'm not sure what to think. Outer shipping box is pristine, but the *inside* of the scope box looks like it was shaken by a gorilla for a week or two. Scope was loose inside the box, all the little "cut-outs" that should have held the scope in place were bent/battered/torn.

I called the vendor to see if this is "normal", they haven't returned the call. I'm reluctant to mount the scope before I know whether or not it is likely to have been damaged in shipping (or a return/refurb?!?)

One thing I heard is that they are looking at each and every scope to make sure it is OK before leaving the shop.

Might be they didn't put it back in the box as well as they should have.

If you mount it up and it doesn't perform, they will make it right.

Mine has been thrown into "drop boxes" plenty of times and sandwiched between boxes of ammo, other rifles/shotguns, and hard places for long trips.

Nick

I am very happy with it.

Thanks!

No mater who the vendor was Vortex will make it rite if any problems come up with the scope. I don't even know if Vortex sales Refurb scopes. I will put that on my list to ask Mr Scott.

Sounds very strange about the box though who was the shipper?

Can you post a photo of the box?

If I was me I would mount it and see how it does with some photos of it before you mount it.

I am very happy with it.

Thanks!

I think you are probably over-worrying just a bit....I wouldn't be at all concerned about a battered box if the scope itself is fine. If I was you I'd look through the scope and spin the turrets - if everything moves as it should, I'd then go ahead and mount it. And as mentioned above, the great thing with Vortex is that if there should be an issue, they will take care of you very quick, regardless of who the vendor is (or even if you bought it used, come to that).

I am very happy with it.

Thanks!

My Viper PST 6-24x FFP showed up that way also 2 weeks ago. Vortex has a 100% lifetime warranty on their products so I figured "why not mount it". I've put ~250 rounds (.308 Win) downrage the past two weeks in range days and tactical long range competitions with NO issues and no shift in zero. Glass is amazingly clear even up to 24x. I also have Vortex Viper binoc's, and two Viper 2-7x scopes with the BDC reticle on my 3gun AR's. My next Vortex purchases are going to be another Viper PST for my M1A and one of their new Viper HS LR for my deer rifle. The past two weekends a lot of folks have looked through my PST and ALL were impressed with the clarity and quality of the product for the pricepoint....even the guys shooting scopes that have the initials NF and S&B. ;) I've been slurping the Vortex koolaide for about 9 months and all my shooting buddies think I'm nutz, but they routinely comment on the quality of my optics. It annoys them greatly when I tell them I paid a fraction of what they did for theirs. :D

is the only difference between the razor and viper 1-4 the glass? Also does anyone know if one has brighter illumination than the other....THX

My understanding is that both the PST and Razor line have Japanese glass. The Razor's are assembled in Japan while the PST's are assembled in the Philippines. The reticules offered are significantly different in style also. I believe the Razor has some additional lens coatings and other goodies that contribute the $1k price difference. As for the relative illumination between the two I don't believe the Razor offers an illuminated reticule in the 1-4x (according to Vortex's website).

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-1-4x24-riflescope-with-cqmr-1-reticle

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope-with-tmcq-moa-reticle/reticle

I have a pair of Razor 8.5x50 and love them. So when I wanted to try an optic on my rifle, I gave the Vortex a look. I ended up with a Viper PST in a Larue, and mounted it on my latest 18" build. Although not my favorite

reticle, it is precise with clear glass and the fine lines don't block distant targets. Daytime illumination can't match Meopta, Swaro, or Trijicon, but I usually just leave it turned off anyway.

Shot it for the first time at the COPS 3 Gun on the 19th. Other than me forgetting that I could change the magnification (too used to irons and RDS) the scope worked great and I was able to quickly determine the proper

hold with the 55s and 69s I was shooting.

In lesser light conditions, the illumination is bright but sunshine washes it to the brownish tint. Pretty much the reason I leave the illumination off so I can have a crisp black reticle.

One other discovery, The cattail I got from Chris Drissel for one of my Milletts works on the PST just fine. And the PST has a rather short throw so going from 1-4 power is quick.

I am happy with my Vortex products so far.

Craig

Happy with my PST 1-4 so far. If I could change anything, I would make the reticle just a little larger. Not much, but a little more might help on the longer shots. I will be running it in it's first 3 gun match this weekend, so I will see how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to have the Kool Aid stand set-up at the LaRue event this coming weekend. look me up on the Vortex stage 11

I will have the Razor spotting scope set up for the squad to take a look see. And after the match is over I will have the Demo gear out for hands on.

If you cant wait to see something let me know and I may be able to bring it out in the afternoon on Friday or Sat

Convince me you have the Fever and I may be able to find a hat for you :goof:

Some great gear will go on the prize table for the LaRue event.

JF

I had a chance to look through one of these scopes on a buddies rifle. Glass seemed good but illumination sucked. I could not even tell it was on until I looked at a wall inside the shooting station vs outside. Outside the illumination was invisible.

Pat

I had a chance to look through one of these scopes on a buddies rifle. Glass seemed good but illumination sucked. I could not even tell it was on until I looked at a wall inside the shooting station vs outside. Outside the illumination was invisible.

Pat

The Illumination is not any thing close to Bright, my scope seams to have a Battery eating problem = in that I forget to turn it off. The only real reason I put a new battery in is to show my Friends the Red, and or to paint up targets in the shadows.

I did hear a rumor that Vortex will have a bright red in the next year. But I have found the lack of "Bright Red" in the scope has let me look harder at the place I want my hits to land and not end up with a "Dot Focus"

Many Open class hand-gun shooters -look through- the dot for the shots, only setting the level high enough to pick up the dot.

The Razor reticle for under 100 yard shots that _looking through_ the window to make the shots works great.

Any way I will have some fresh batteries for the Demo This weekend And the Sun will be out in Full force

Having run my Viper PST 1-4X MRAD for several matches, a few things pop up as needing improvement:

1) Illumination is definitely not daylight visible outdoors in bright sunlight. I don't even bother turning it on now.

2) Turret knobs stick out just a bit too much--cost me an additional 70 seconds on a typically-60 second stage at SMM3G when I accidentally knocked the windage knob 4 clicks (0.8 mrad) to the left drawing the rifle out of a staging barrel. I kept firing on the 300 yard targets and seeing the hits go waaaaaay left, then had to walk the shots in holding the reticle over empty space. Couldn't tell if there was any wind up there (there were pretty strong gusts), but eventually after the bewildering, head-scratcher of a run I found that my knob had been turned.

3) Would be much better if the click adjustments were 0.1 mrad and not 0.2. My zero isn't really zeroed--it's just the closest I can get with the relatively coarse click increment.

Still, I love my Viper and would buy another one, especially the HS model coming out in June. The glass is great, the reticle is AMAZING, and the value can't be beat. Yes, there are cheaper scopes like the TAC30, but for what you get, the Viper is a steal.

Got the Viper PST 6-24 mounted on the .260 AICS. I'll shoot it tomorrow, but so far I REALLY like it. I wish they would offer a set of precision rings with the level bubble right in the rear ring. Would make it more durable than hanging off the scope or rail.

post-6388-005352100 1302832389_thumb.jpg

Up date since the Thread start. I am now just one step more than just a Vortex fan club leader.

I had the Vortex spotting Scope set up with a challenge at stage 11 during the LaRue / Texas Mulit-Gun event. Vortex went deeper with prize sponsorship than original given credit for, So I got permission to play a Challenge Game.

I put a Vortex catalog at 1000 yards the first day The Challenge was for someone to look and identify the "Item of Interest" The game worked great with well over 300 shooters + spectators trying to find and identify the item.

Well several shooters came to me and said they could see a Skeleton of an animal,like a skull.

I had to say NO put it was possible that they found a skeleton but it was not the item of interest

The Wind picked up bad after noon and the tripod was moving too much to keep the challenge fair. So that night Josh M. suggested we move it into 750 yards. Early Saturday morning a shooter with "hunter eyes" correctly identified it as a catalog and alls said a skeleton was at 1000 yards

Sunday after the match I went to find the skeleton at 1000 yards what it was is the (Best of The West) logo stamped on a metal bracket its was only 10" square = the same size as the catalog

DSC09728.jpg

the "skeleton at 1000 yards DSC09758.jpg

the item of interest as it set at 750 yards DSC09753.jpg

A pair of 8x32 RT binoculars was won by drawing at the match . John Brown was the first shooter to get the challenge rite and got All the shooters at the match into the drawing. I don't know how many shooters thanked John

Edited by AlamoShooter

I had several scopes out at the event with the 1-4 Razor mounted on my Nordic conversion with the barrel removed. one shooter pointed out that the elevation knob was hard to turn, and it was hard.

So when I got home I backed all three set screws was out and lifted the turret off , put just a small amount of Enos Slide Glide on the two O Rings and remounted the turret. )It turns just fine now.

I will have to check with Vortex to make sure I have not stepped on toes , but it was a quick and easy fix. = was certified to repair Scuba regulators though=

Alls I will try and get more hats and patches before the next match :blink: sorry I could not fill all the request

Look me up at BRM3Gun and I will have a Razor mounted like a spotting scope for Demo

I will be at BRM3Gun with a Razor mounted on my backup gun, if you guys want to look me up , or send me note before I drive out on Tuesday night / early Wed. I can bring my rim-fire S&W 15-22 to put the scope on for some sight-in range live fire.

JF

assc@sbcglobal.net

I will be at BRM3Gun with a Razor mounted on my backup gun, if you guys want to look me up , or send me note before I drive out on Tuesday night / early Wed. I can bring my rim-fire S&W 15-22 to put the scope on for some sight-in range live fire.

JF

assc@sbcglobal.net

I'll be getting in Thursday around 5-6pm. I'd like to take a look if you have time. I already have a K-Dot and Z6i, but I just picked up a 762 PredatAR and I'm in need of some glass for this.

JF

assc@sbcglobal.net

I'll be getting in Thursday around 5-6pm. I'd like to take a look if you have time. I already have a K-Dot and Z6i, but I just picked up a 762 PredatAR and I'm in need of some glass for this.

I can make some time, =don't know ware I will be at as we will be outon Recon/ gameing the stages

i will send you my cell # in a pm

Good new for Me! and you too. my 5-20 Razor just came in and I am rigging a mount to use it as a range finder for the BRM3Gun event. that will also make it easy to demo it on a mount that you can hold and sight with.

One more reason to look me up Thursday . Being able to put an eye on the targets helps us old slow guys.

More Eye Candy for me

I love that Vortex Glass B)