Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CZ Shadow T, short dust cover reports?

Gary H.

The more I shoot mine the more I like it. Runs like a Glock and has the trigger of a nice 1911, has better ergos and handles recoil better then either too IMO, what more could you want.

I'm going to swap the safeties out for the smaller and higher one's like come on an 85 Combat and then swap out the slide-stop for the slightly more extended "stepped" version like comes standard on an SP-01 and standard Shadow at some point. Everything is fine as it is stock, the changes are just personal fit stuff really. I think I prefer the smaller safeties as I feel as though I can get slightly higher up on the gun and get a bit more out of the way on the grip panel allowing more room to really get my support-hand locked in, and the longer slide-stop makes it a hair easier to drop the side without shifting my grip when reloading from slide-lock.

If anyone knows an 85 Combat owner that wants the SA-style safeties and may want to trade me, please let me know...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ck1...which holster are you using for the 75 Shadow?

btw... is there a USPSA club near you/Clarksville? One of my best friends lives in Clarksville and I'm planning a visit -- if timing works out, I may try to shoot a match there.

The more I shoot mine the more I like it. Runs like a Glock and has the trigger of a nice 1911, has better ergos and handles recoil better then either too IMO, what more could you want.

I'm going to swap the safeties out for the smaller and higher one's like come on an 85 Combat and then swap out the slide-stop for the slightly more extended "stepped" version like comes standard on an SP-01 and standard Shadow at some point. Everything is fine as it is stock, the changes are just personal fit stuff really. I think I prefer the smaller safeties as I feel as though I can get slightly higher up on the gun and get a bit more out of the way on the grip panel allowing more room to really get my support-hand locked in, and the longer slide-stop makes it a hair easier to drop the side without shifting my grip when reloading from slide-lock.

If anyone knows an 85 Combat owner that wants the SA-style safeties and may want to trade me, please let me know...

ck1...which holster are you using for the 75 Shadow?

btw... is there a USPSA club near you/Clarksville? One of my best friends lives in Clarksville and I'm planning a visit -- if timing works out, I may try to shoot a match there.

I'm using a Blade-Tech DOH minus the dropped offset part, so think it's just their "SRB" belt holster now, it's the one for the 75/85/75SA and fits and works perfectly (think they list one made specifically for the 75SA ,but I can't really see how it could fit any better, bet it's the same one).

My home club(s)'s range is about an hour from Clarksville (or closer depending on how fast you drive). Check out ntps.org to see if there's a USPSA event happening and/or mctsclub.com to see if we've got any IDPA or "run n' gun" matches (basically USPSA/IPSC-style matches featuring higher round counts and less rule) going on while you're around. Everyone is really friendly and the range is pretty sweet these days, we got hammered with flooding around this time last year so lots of work has been put into bringing our play area back, only bigger and better, there have been quite a few bays added and this season we're having our first ever GSSF event, our inaugural sanctioned mid-major IDPA event (Music City Cup) and of course Tim C. and the rest of the USPSA guys have been running the TN Sectional event for a few years now quite successfully, and have earned the reputation of running a great match.

As far as matches are concerned we're pretty lucky, it's rare for there not to be a match of some kind within driving distance of the Nashville area on just about any given weekend and Clarksville is just north of us. C'mon out!

I've put abound 600 rounds through mine between a Steel Challenge match and a practice session. Gun runs great and feels lighter than its stated weight. Super accurate with 121 IFPs. I just put the stock grips on tonight and think I might like those better. The narrow grips and my big mitts don't leave much room at all for the heel of my support hand. Just not a fan of semi-slick plastic grips. Really happy with the gun so far. I'll be shooting it this weekend to see how I do with it on the clock. (My viginial Production debut.)

I've put abound 600 rounds through mine between a Steel Challenge match and a practice session. Gun runs great and feels lighter than its stated weight. Super accurate with 121 IFPs. I just put the stock grips on tonight and think I might like those better. The narrow grips and my big mitts don't leave much room at all for the heel of my support hand. Just not a fan of semi-slick plastic grips. Really happy with the gun so far. I'll be shooting it this weekend to see how I do with it on the clock. (My viginial Production debut.)

Ha, kinda came to a similar conclusion on my grips being too thin to get my support-hand on-board and have a set of the "thick" AL grips on the way (they're "thick" in name only as they're still thinner than all but the factory wood, plastic and rubber ones. I had a set of the aggressive checkered ones before and really dug how they worked for me, thinner but still allows one to get some meat on the gun, decided that's probably the best width for me, the VZ's are much closer to the "thin" AL grips, just a bit less flat of a profile)...

I also agree the gun is lighter then stated, think mine comes in around 36-37ozs.

As far as grips go, for those with good sized mitts, I think the Factory Rubber and the Long Arch Aluminum ones are the best. I also have a pair in Rosewood that are shaped like the thick aluminum grips, which also work well. Of the three, the Long Arch Alum ones are my favorite so far.

I'll be shooting it this weekend to see how I do with it on the clock. (My viginial Production debut.)

You are going to shoot a Production gun in Open? :D:P

I want to shoot mine this weekend also but I don't think it will fly at Space City.

I'll be shooting it this weekend to see how I do with it on the clock. (My viginial Production debut.)

You are going to shoot a Production gun in Open? :D:P

I want to shoot mine this weekend also but I don't think it will fly at Space City.

LOL. They can put in whatever division they want. The prize money is all the same. :-)

Well, I played around a little this morning and whittled away a little in spots on the CTS safety to make it fit with the RHS safety of the shadow. Need to touch it up a little but it woks pretty good.

I shot a 5-stage USPSA match yesterday in the Limited division with my new CZ 75 Shadow T. I was using 147gr JHP reloads pushing about 900 fps. The CZ ran as advertised without any hiccups. I was concentrating on getting used to the trigger, having shot a revolver exclusively for the past year. The pistol is a track driver. Now I have to work on speed.

I shot a 5-stage USPSA match yesterday in the Limited division with my new CZ 75 Shadow T. I was using 147gr JHP reloads pushing about 900 fps. The CZ ran as advertised without any hiccups. I was concentrating on getting used to the trigger, having shot a revolver exclusively for the past year. The pistol is a track driver. Now I have to work on speed.

Pretty cool aren't they.

I just got one shipped in for a trigger job and this is the gun I have always thought I wanted from CZ. I can get a little more out of the trigger and it is really a sweet trigger. I just now have to save up for one now.

anyone care to donate? :D

Pretty cool aren't they.

I just got one shipped in for a trigger job and this is the gun I have always thought I wanted from CZ. I can get a little more out of the trigger and it is really a sweet trigger. I just now have to save up for one now.

anyone care to donate? :D

Mine was great out of the box, but I did end up doing one of the tricks you told me about a while back when I detail-stripped it to give mine it's first real cleaning and dropped another 1/2lb off of the trigger...

Kinda stinks in a way, when I suck I sure can't blame the gun at this point.

Wow.

Just installed a set of the the 85-style, higher/smaller safeties (instead of the SA-style lower/extended one's it came with) and can't believe how much they transform the feel of the gun... about 1000 times better for me. Ever since I got mine something was bugging me about my grip with it, I tried pretty much every set of grips available trying to get it to feel "right" like my old SP-01 felt to no avail, this did the trick. I really don't find the smaller safety any less difficult to operate and it still provides plenty of surface for my thumb to ride it comfortably, it's just higher and not in the way anymore.

One of my favorite attributes about the CZ's is how they allow one to get so much support-hand on the gun, I shoot with a high-thumbs-forward-style and previously before shooting them I'd only experienced the same kind of "locked-in" feeling with my shooting grip on Glocks... The best Glock trigger can't touch a Shadow's :).

Might even be able to try out some of the thinner grips I was more fond of in the past now too as there's now plenty of room to get my grip ratcheted-down as I like, that 1/4" change in thumb position makes a huge difference, don't think my problem was the grip widths, think it was the other safeties all along...

This may be something very much worth trying if anyone finds they aren't getting enough support-hand contact on the these guns.

Edited by ck1

I have been playing with the same thing. The SA safeties that came on the gun cause me problems, they are just to far forward for me. I was practicing the other day and playing around with safeties and DA vs SA. I found that the stock safety on the gun slowed me down since their position made me have to think about hitting them. DA my draw time was 1.15 consistently, SA was 1.3 as the fastest.

I have been playing with the same thing. The SA safeties that came on the gun cause me problems, they are just to far forward for me. I was practicing the other day and playing around with safeties and DA vs SA. I found that the stock safety on the gun slowed me down since their position made me have to think about hitting them. DA my draw time was 1.15 consistently, SA was 1.3 as the fastest.

Yeah, I dunno... really does seem differently shaped safeties can give theses guns vastly different feels/ergos. I've sort of experienced a similar thing with 1911's, the stock safeties that come on RIA Tacticals and a few others are downright painful to me, yet the one's that come stock on STI single-stacks and Dan Wesson's feel just right (think they're Brown's), and I've heard of more than a few guys having the Wilson "high-ride" safeties put on their guns saying they felt different than any other as well.

I dunno,who knew...

Are these 85 Combat safeties something that can be DIYed by a gun noob?

Hellz yeah. You'll probably need to fit the safety a bit to accommodate the sear leg and competition hammer, but that literally means about 5 minutes filing the corner off of the pad on the new safety, if you were to look at the pad on the one you pull out vs. tge new one, it's pretty obvious and self-explanatory... but if need be, just PM me and I could take a pic or two and go further into it, It's really pretty darn easy.

Thanks Chip. I may buy a set just to try it. Do you get both the RHS and the LHS?

http://czcustom.com/czsafteyrhssathumbler.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cz75salhhandnormalsafety.aspx

Are these 85 Combat safeties something that can be DIYed by a gun noob?

Hellz yeah. You'll probably need to fit the safety a bit to accommodate the sear leg and competition hammer, but that literally means about 5 minutes filing the corner off of the pad on the new safety, if you were to look at the pad on the one you pull out vs. tge new one, it's pretty obvious and self-explanatory... but if need be, just PM me and I could take a pic or two and go further into it, It's really pretty darn easy.