Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Fiber Optics sights. A good thing?

Toby Starr

I have a S&W M&P with fiber optic front sights. I love the fiber optic sight in the front. It really helps, especially in the bright day light.

I've been considering adding a fiber optic rear sight. I've noticed that I've been missing more lately when I rush through stages, not because I'm not bothering to look for my sights, but because I'm shifting my front sight over the target with no real attention paid to the rear sight. It a beginner's problem to be sure, but I'd still like to correct it.

It occurred to me that I might be better of putting fiber optics on the rear sights to help make the rear more visible when I'm hurrying. But I also notice that I don't see many people who use fiber optics on their rear sight, just the front. So that leads me to question, are rear fiber optics an improvement, or are they just more distracting?

Curious if anyone who has used rear fiber optics could comment on whether or not they found them to be beneficial or not.

I've also considered getting a different color for the rear sights so that the front stands out from the rear? What do you think?

Ive got a buddy that loves his fo rear. His eyes arent great and he says it helps him line up quicker. I hate them. When I shoot fast, all those lights make me dizzy. Lol.

The only way to know is to try it. Im sure someone in your club has a setup. Ask around...

I think it would be fine as long as the rear sights are a different color then the front. I know when I tried a FO front sight it REALLY helped my keep my focus on the front sight (I had a really bad habit of focusing on the target). I think the contrast between the black rear and FO front makes a big difference. If they are all the same color, it might slow ya down a bit. YMMV.

Cheers.

I vote NO for the FO rear. You are supposed to be looking at the FRONT site so anything that distracts this (even more than normal) is generally not a good thing. My $0.02 worth

+1 but everyone's vision is different. If you can find someone that has one to borrow and try, I'd do that before spending the money.

If you are missing more lately, I'd suggest that you aren't seeing what you need to before breaking that shot. For me - what happens is I start focusing on targets instead of my sight picture and I "make up" the sight picture in my mind before breaking it. I used the goal post white outline sights on the glock for a while when I first picked it up and quickly got the black paint out and covered up the white - it was night and day difference.

I put a Dawson FO rear sight on my G34 with the FO front. To distracting for me, The rear stood out to much. It is an adjustible sight so I did

not want to buy another. I know have blacked out the FO rear. You can try it if you like and if you dont like it just black out the FO.

One of my shooting buddies has rear FOs in a yellow color and a green front sight.

He likes it..I've tried it and can't make it work.... too much stuff to see at the same time and the multi-color dots are damn confusing.

This is probably one of those "technologies" that would work great.... but it would take weeks, months, or years to get really comfortable and fast with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have FO front and rear sights on my G35. The front is .040 green and the rear is now .060 red. I also have several feet of .040 and .060 fiber optic in Green, Red and Orange. I am still experimenting with what color combination works the best for me, but already know that having different colors front and rear makes a big difference in how quick I pick up the dots.

When I focus on the front sight the rear sight is split into 4 dots. The set on the right is sharper and I naturally center the green front sight between those two dots. Without a fiber optic rear I spend a fraction of a second picking out which rear sight is the one to center the front sight on, or in some cases not even see the rear sight at all.

For me Fiber Optic is the best way for me to get a quick sight picture without using electronic optics.

I thought FO sights were a gimmick, until I shot a practice stage with a friend's pistol. Now most of my hanguns have FO front sights. My first instinct is to agree with some of the others on rear FO's ar too much. But I was wrong before, and teh chances are pretty great that I will be proved wrong again, so, try it and see.

You're shooting with the front post out of the notch because you aren't taking the time to align the attention-whoring front post with the rear sight?

Try ALL black sights before you start making everything glow in the dark. After experimentation, it's my preference.

Will likely stay that way for another decade, until I need the F.O. to focus on the front post due to age.