Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate gun shops

jaffo

I've decided that I'm not going back to a brick and mortar gun shop till I can find one that's not full of crap!!!

I was going to by an XDM 45acp today but the clerks were more interested in selling a Ruger 380 LCP to a chick that didn't know what she was buying.

Not to mention that they treat every one like they are morons...

I asked, "have you shot one of these?"

He answered "Yes"

Me. "How was it?"

Him. "Well I've shot a 45, just not this kind. There's a lot of recoil, are you sure you want a gun this big????"

Dip-s&*$!! I have several!!!!!!

I've read the thread about "stupid things heard in a gun store"...Remember guys it goes both ways!!!

I'll just buy it on gunbroker.... ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

I use a kitchen table FFL. I can't stand going to the gun store.

+1 I found an Ffl who does transfers for half of what the gunshops charge. Nice guy. I tried paying extra because I didn't have to go to a gun shop and he wouldn't accept.

I've decided that I'm not going back to a brick and mortar gun shop till I can find one that's not full of crap!!!

I was going to by an XDM 45acp today but the clerks were more interested in selling a Ruger 380 LCP to a chick that didn't know what she was buying.

Not to mention that they treat every one like they are morons...

I asked, "have you shot one of these?"

He answered "Yes"

Me. "How was it?"

Him. "Well I've shot a 45, just not this kind. There's a lot of recoil, are you sure you want a gun this big????"

Dip-s&*$!! I have several!!!!!!

I've read the thread about "stupid things heard in a gun store"...Remember guys it goes both ways!!!

I'll just buy it on gunbroker.... ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

I am with you. I teach CWP and I have lost count on how many times students of mine have been screwed by local gunshops. They sell ladies autos that the ladies can't even rack the slide. The most recent was a lady who went to buy a revolver and they sold her a GP101....for concealed carry! They told her it was perfect for carry and it would not even fit in her purse... Or they sell newbies expensive hollow-points to take a CWP class. A few years ago, I was in one gunshop and a lady brought in a Model 66 Winchester to sell (a very rare rifle....I knew the value of it because I own one). Anyway, her husband had died and she needed cash. Her rifle was in excellent shape....she asked how much they would give her and they told her $300. She was hesitant so the guy told her to think about it and he went to do something...I walked up and told her that I had the same rifle. Mine was missing the loading gate and the Winchester museum appraised it at over $4K! I gave her the contact at the museum and told her to call them before trying to sell it. She left and the the guy in the shop cussed me out and told me not to ever come back. So I have not been back. I have found a new shop here that has good prices and so far has been straight up with customers. I hope that lasts....

My local gun shop has an indoor range. I buy items from the internet, Cabela's and so on. I've bought a few guns from my local shop. His prices or always better then GB or Cabela's. I never bought a gun from GB, I figure you have to add another $50 or so dollars to the price of the gun with shipping and transfer fees.

Don't get me wrong... I do have one shop that's local that stay far away from.

:cheers:

I think you need to understand something, we are the MINORITY.

I can walk into almost any "gunshop" and find NOTHING that I want to take home, most are run of the mill guns that are not specialized for anything but mall ninjas.

If you look at the number of active competition(IE:USPSA,IDPA, 3GUN,MULTI GUN) we are far out wieghed by the rest that get thier info off what Mel was using in his last movie.

I would venture to say that most gun shop owners are not what I would call "real shooters", I rate thier markmanship abilities and on the trigger time with most law enforcement. It's either a money making business or a tool of the trade.

It's to the point anymore that If I walk into the local gunshop once every six mo's he will still have the same array of glock's, ruger MKII's and GP100's that he did last time I was there. I always ask when the next shipment of STI"S will be in.

Really though how many NON COMPETITIVE shooters are going to lay down 2-4 grand for a pistol???????????? (very good possibility we are the ones that are crazy) almost none.

Gun shops(the majority) cater to those who have no clue and don't want to have any!!!!!!!!

Maybe that means we are among the elite.

Mildot

PS: I did not say all shooters or all law enforcement so if you are one of the few don't take offense!

I'm going to have to agree with mildot. How many NASCAR mechanics get frustrated when the guy at jiffy lube gives him advice on how and engine works? I haven't been to a gun show in ages and very rarely stop in the gun shop, but I sure am glad they are there.

My $.025

J-Ho

We had a couple shops where I grew up that I don't know how they stay in business. One was very overpriced ie suggested retail at a minimum, police trade in glocks going for more than new ones go for by quite a bit. The other has absolutely nothing in his shop to speak of. Maby 8 handguns and 15-20 rifles(mostly surplus junk and 22s). Talking with him they really know nothing about shooting other than to hit cans with a 22 in the back yard. The shop is also dark and cluttered with most of the stuff behind the counter stacked behind other stuff so no wonder it never sells. You would have thought they would have learned more in their years in business. They have gone way down hill in recent years and I don't predict they stay open more than another year or 2. The internet just killed them when you can buy whatever you want and arnt limited to what they choose to sell