Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from the most unfree state in the USA

Machine154

I'll let you guess...

I was referred over here from Pirate4x4 from a discussion I found by an internet search. Anyway, I am looking into the idea of reloading with a little hesitation. I don't have much space (1 BR condo) and not so sure about the complexity of the whole thing. I saw a Dillon setup at a friend's place, but we didn't have a lot of time to go over it. He was recommending that I might want to try the Dillon 650 if I was going to be reloading .308 (in addition to 9mm and .223). I downloaded the manual and am a bit put off by the amount of work to do a caliber change. Maybe it is easier than it looks...

My guess is California! Anyway, once you get the hang of changing calibers on the 650 you'll never regret purchasing it. I would recommend purchasing the large or small pistol primer setup. It makes it much easier to switch calibers. That and a quick caliber exchange and your in business. + Talking with the reps at Dillon helps enormously.

The 650 is a wonderful machine. I have had two over

the last 15 years. As far as the change over, it's

not that hard. The hard part-if you want to call it

that is the primer change over. And it really is

easier to do that those directions make it look.

I can change the top out-with dies-in another head,

change the shell plate, and the primer feed in about

maybe 12 to 15 minutes tops, as well as clean it

quickly and put some lube in those special places.

So don't be bothered with the directions that much-

JUST get one and start loading- in time you will be

like the rest of us on the forum-old pro's! :rolleyes:

I'll let you guess...

I was referred over here from Pirate4x4 from a discussion I found by an internet search. Anyway, I am looking into the idea of reloading with a little hesitation. I don't have much space (1 BR condo) and not so sure about the complexity of the whole thing. I saw a Dillon setup at a friend's place, but we didn't have a lot of time to go over it. He was recommending that I might want to try the Dillon 650 if I was going to be reloading .308 (in addition to 9mm and .223). I downloaded the manual and am a bit put off by the amount of work to do a caliber change. Maybe it is easier than it looks...

Check out the 550 vs. 650 info at these links:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

the 550 is a better choice when space is a limiting factor, also, from a caliber change standpoint, the 550 is easier/quicker to do, and also the 550 is 'semi' automatic, where, you decide to turn the star lever to advance the shellplate when you feel ready forthe next step, my 550 has been with me sincethe late 80's andstill going strong

Hawaii is 2nd or 3rd when it comes to Kommunist state laws and restrictions. You should see the shit that our legislature is trying to propose. If I could do it over I would get a 650 for the volume its capable of producing. Currently running a 550.