Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you prefer starting with long stick?

Foxbat

Depends on the round count. My big stick holds 28 so I can start 28+1. If the stage is 29 rounds or less, I'll run the big mag and not reload (as long as I don't have any make up shots).

If it's more than 29, I'll use two 140's and find a good place to reload. The 170mm mags are expensive, so I'd like to drop them on the ground as little as possible.

I can start with 31 in the gun.

If I think I can get thru the course with a round or two to spare I'll start with it.

I don't use a big stick for a 12 round short course.

Think about it, more wieght is harder to move.

I think you need to use common sense and look at every stage to make that definitive answer.

Mildot

I always start with the 29rd. stick and 1 in the chamber.

I do the reload when the time frame allows, followed by a

140mm mag!

I do this in about 50% cases (in other cases start with 140), but I usually don't load the sticks to full capacity. They hold 30, I usually put 26-28 in them. This for reloads in the 20 shot range. I have never reloaded with big stick, though... need to try it to see how it feels.

I am always reluctant to run with a loaded stick in my holder, even though they are AA's and grip well, there is still a lot of weight sticking out, more chance to lose it - anyone lost it that way?

Edited by Foxbat

I always run a big stick, even on classifiers that requires mandatory mag changes. i dry fire with a "loaded" set-up (i reload so i make rounds with no powder, no primer), i practice with that weight and actually its my work out, that thing gets heavy past 20 reps just drawing and aiming.

Also one other reason i do big stick first or during classifier is that i found that big stick drops faster than smaller one. Gravity pull is constant but with a heavier weight it should be faster (i think, slept most of my physics class).

Edit: typo

Edited by Torogi

I've always found the 170mm magazines to be a tad ungainly. They wobble around alot when in a magazine pouch and reloading to a big stick has just never felt right to me... I would much rather have 4-5 100% reliable 140mm magazines than a 170mm.

Having said that, there was a stage at 2010 Nationals where having a big-stick meant not have to do a reload from a barrel, it would have saved 1-2 seconds on that course.

I always run a big stick, even on classifiers that requires mandatory mag changes. i dry fire with a "loaded" set-up (i reload so i make rounds with no powder, no primer), i practice with that weight and actually its my work out, that thing gets heavy past 20 reps just drawing and aiming.

Also one other reason i do big stick first or during classifier is that i found that big stick drops faster than smaller one. Gravity pull is constant but with a heavier weight it should be faster (i think, slept most of my physics class).

Big stick, small stick...loaded or unloaded, they will fall at the same rate. If my physics is correct, gravity's force is 9.8 meters per second.

Big stick, small stick...loaded or unloaded, they will fall at the same rate. If my physics is correct, gravity's force is 9.8 meters per second.

They will fall at the same rate... ONCE they have cleared the grip. But the time of disengaging from grip will be different - as there is always some friction involved.

They will fall at the same rate... ONCE they have cleared the grip. But the time of disengaging from grip will be different - as there is always some friction involved.

Cool to know. I was all under the impression it goes down faster. So what i have been doing was placebo then.

The length of the mag that sticks inside the grip should be equal, no matter which mag you use. And I don't know why friction would be different from 1 mag to another. In fact a longer mag, which would weigh slightly more, should drop FASTER because of it being heavier.

Anyways, yes I always start with a big stick on a field course. I may use 140's to start and to reload on a classifier with a mandatory reload, but I dont care if my big stick hits the ground ..... a mag hitting the ground / gravel / grass / etc. will not ruin it. Someone stepping on it might.

The length of the mag that sticks inside the grip should be equal, no matter which mag you use. And I don't know why friction would be different from 1 mag to another. In fact a longer mag, which would weigh slightly more, should drop FASTER because of it being heavier.

Presuming the friction between the magazine and grip is the same, the heavier magazine will move faster until it clears the grip, as its acceleration will be determined by the difference between the gravitational pull and the friction force. Once they clears the grip, their acceleration will be ***almost*** the same, with still a VERY slight edge towards the long one, due to its better aerodynamic efficiency, but that effect can be neglected, as it will be extremely small at low velocities.

Presuming the friction between the magazine and grip is the same, the heavier magazine will move faster until it clears the grip, as its acceleration will be determined by the difference between the gravitational pull and the friction force. Once they clears the grip, their acceleration will be ***almost*** the same, with still a VERY slight edge towards the long one, due to its better aerodynamic efficiency, but that effect can be neglected, as it will be extremely small at low velocities.

That was my main point when i first brought up that gravity thing. Because there was difference practicing empty mag with a loaded mag. After it clears its all the same, but to me what matters is the time mag catch releases the mag and with the added weight it clears the grip faster. I have some mags that sticks when its empty but when heavier it wouldn't.

My answer is, it depends. How many rounds in the stage, where is the best spot to reload? Obviously if I can shoot the whole stage with my bigstick I will. Sometimes I start with the 170 and reload to a 140, or start with a 140 and reload to a 140, or start with a 140 and reload to a 170, or very rarely start with a 170 and reload to a 170. I also try to plan my reloads so that I have a couple left in the mag for insurance.

That was my main point when i first brought up that gravity thing. Because there was difference practicing empty mag with a loaded mag. After it clears its all the same, but to me what matters is the time mag catch releases the mag and with the added weight it clears the grip faster. I have some mags that sticks when its empty but when heavier it wouldn't.

The reason some mags drag when empty, and pop out when they have rounds in them isn't because they're heavier. It's because the top round in the mag is pushing on the stripper rail of the slide, which compresses the magazine spring, and when you hit the mag release, the spring pops the mag free of the grip. Essentially, it's a spring-loaded launch.

I don't want the gun extra heavy for classifiers, so I'll use short sticks and set it up so they have three or four extra rounds in them...that makes them pop out nicely. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

The reason some mags drag when empty, and pop out when they have rounds in them isn't because they're heavier. It's because the top round in the mag is pushing on the stripper rail of the slide, which compresses the magazine spring, and when you hit the mag release, the spring pops the mag free of the grip. Essentially, it's a spring-loaded launch.

I don't want the gun extra heavy for classifiers, so I'll use short sticks and set it up so they have three or four extra rounds in them...that makes them pop out nicely. R,

Bart,

YUP- on those classifiers its 140's all the way! :cheers:

I'll start with a 170 no matter what the round count is or when I'm going to reload. For me it's just part of my standard routine, not to mention it's how I dryfire. I'm too old to keep up with a bunch a changes. :surprise:

I'll start with a 170 no matter what the round count is or when I'm going to reload. For me it's just part of my standard routine, not to mention it's how I dryfire. I'm too old to keep up with a bunch a changes. :surprise:

Well, it is one of the few times you get to handle a "BIG STICK" :roflol::roflol:

Well, it is one of the few times you get to handle a "BIG STICK" :roflol::roflol:

So very true, Duckie but wait a minute don't you only bring "BIG STICKS" to the range to play with? What's up with dat?