Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you prefer starting with long stick?

Foxbat

I always run a big stick, even on classifiers that requires mandatory mag changes. i dry fire with a "loaded" set-up (i reload so i make rounds with no powder, no primer), i practice with that weight and actually its my work out, that thing gets heavy past 20 reps just drawing and aiming.

Also one other reason i do big stick first or during classifier is that i found that big stick drops faster than smaller one. Gravity pull is constant but with a heavier weight it should be faster (i think, slept most of my physics class).

Edit: typo

Big stick, small stick...loaded or unloaded, they will fall at the same rate. If my physics is correct, gravity's force is 9.8 meters per second.

They will fall at the same rate... ONCE they have cleared the grip. But the time of disengaging from grip will be different - as there is always some friction involved.

The length of the mag that sticks inside the grip should be equal, no matter which mag you use. And I don't know why friction would be different from 1 mag to another. In fact a longer mag, which would weigh slightly more, should drop FASTER because of it being heavier.

Anyways, yes I always start with a big stick on a field course. I may use 140's to start and to reload on a classifier with a mandatory reload, but I dont care if my big stick hits the ground ..... a mag hitting the ground / gravel / grass / etc. will not ruin it. Someone stepping on it might.

Gravity pulls the same on all objects, it's just the mass of the object that feels different to us. The heavier object has more mass, which gravity pulls on, not that it's pulling harder, just that it's got more to pull on.

Don't forget we tend to try to get our big sticks to hold as many rounds as possible, potentially making 'em fatter and not as easy-in/easy-out.

My 148s (140 tubes w/ Grams 11mm pads) rocket in and out of the gun. My 170s don't.

Course design dictates, but I prefer the 148s.

• 2 weeks later...

I always start with the 29rd. stick and 1 in the chamber.

I do the reload when the time frame allows, followed by a

140mm mag!

I do this in about 50% cases (in other cases start with 140), but I usually don't load the sticks to full capacity. They hold 30, I usually put 26-28 in them. This for reloads in the 20 shot range. I have never reloaded with big stick, though... need to try it to see how it feels.

I am always reluctant to run with a loaded stick in my holder, even though they are AA's and grip well, there is still a lot of weight sticking out, more chance to lose it - anyone lost it that way?

I have :D running between boxes on classifiers

Say, there is a nice place to reload after 18-20 rounds... do you still start with a long one? Or you always start with a short one, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise?

To answer the original question - I'll generally start in that scenario with what I refer to as a "medium stick" (a 140 w/ an Arrendondo +4 pad on it), and 23+1 in the gun, unless there's a good number of medium to higher risk shots, in which case I'll bank on a big stick. With my gear, the medium sticks drop free somewhat faster and cleaner, and the gun is better balanced - I'm more comfortable with that config overall. In terms of overall reliability, the medium stick wins over the big stick (though I don't generally have trouble with either one), so there's that, too...

With fewer rounds before the reload (say, 14-16), it's always going to be medium stick. With more (say, 22-24), it's always the big stick. The only time that differs is if it's an all steel stage - then it's probably going to be big stick for starters, and possibly a reload to a big stick, too, for insurance purposes.