Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PS3 vs. XBox 360

sight.gif

Ok, so I'm not trying to start a religious flame war about this, but ... I'm trying to get a feel on which way to go. I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm about to embark on a little experiment into improving eye speed, and it involves picking up a game console to specifically play FPS games. I will likely play a couple of other, non-FPS type games, and I'll use the console to stream Netflix content, etc.

As near as I can tell, the two consoles in their current (early 2011) configs are roughly equivalent - the Xbox has better wireless connectivity, while the PS3 has BluRay and user replaceable hard drives. Games that play on both consoles seem to be pretty close to one another, at this point. I'm not married to any exclusive titles at all. I only have one set of friends who game (my brother, and his kids) - they use Xbox 360. To stream Netflix on Xbox 360, I get to pay an additional $60/yr (for Xbox Live Gold), whereas it's free on the PS3.

So, help a brother out. Since things seem so similar, I might be missing something important, or subtle... Try to be objective :) I'm not concerned about fanboi type stuff, just the facts devil.gif

I have a 360 and love it. Better game selection than PS3. I also use it for netflix but if you dont already play games online with XboxLive then the addition cost may be a turnoff. You can also get new hardrives for the xbox (I need to get a bigger one myself).

And Black Ops isnt that great. I play it a lot, mainly bc my friends all do too. Modern Warfare 2 was WAAAAAAY better. there are a lot of good ones out there.

Forgot to add: I have an additional stand alone Blu-ray player for watching movies.

360 by far. Yeah you have to pay for the Xbox live but it's worth it. It's free on Playstation because there are so few people that use it. I'd be willing to bet that if it got more popular they'd start charging for it.

And like Corey said, the game selection is better.

Much of this depends on what games you want to play and how you are going to use it. :sight: This is a lot like the 9mm v .40 arguments you see from time to time

Overall it will not hurt to have both to get the best of both worlds. :cheers:

I have a PS3 but have many friends with Xbox 360's... or both. I have never ever heard that the Xbox has better wireless support. :blink: 802.11b wireless is 802.11b wireless connectivity no matter if you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 so to me that is a non-issue. I have had my PS3 hooked up wireless for several years now with no problems at all.

For the way I use it as a set top box/blu-ray player etc, the PS3 was a clear winner for me. The other nice thing about using the PS3 as a blu-ray player is that the PS3 is SOFTWARE upgradeable to the latest revision of the blu-ray standards whereas a standard blu-ray player will need a BIOS flash that may be a bit of a pain to do.

As a Tech person, I *think* that by design the processor setup in the PS3 is more efficient and will last longer than the Xbox hardware without needing to buy a new system...but again, that is my *opinion.* Before someone says something, yes, I know that both are using the Power-PC style cores but the layout of the processors is quite different and the sub-processors inline on the PS3 give it a bit more efficiency under load in my opinion.

Now, All of that being said about the PS3, the Xbox 360 DOES have a much larger library of games! I do wish that Sony would do something about that....

I will now go back to playing Gran Turismo 5 driving my Bugatti Veyron, and waiting until 2/22/11 for Killzone 3 on my PS3. :goof:

I have a PS3 but have many friends with Xbox 360's... or both. I have never ever heard that the Xbox has better wireless support. :blink: 802.11b wireless is 802.11b wireless connectivity no matter if you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 so to me that is a non-issue.

Some of us have modern wireless networks... :lol: Xbox comes with built in 802.11n, whereas PS3 only has 802.11g... Big speed difference, which could eventually matter... possibly...

Thanks for the opinions, guys... keep 'em coming :)

Either system will not be good playing games wirelessly. You will have lag which is not good on fps. Also if you have kids the xbox is more family oriented. Where as the ps3 is more for adults. And free to play online. Its free cause ps3 is a better company and not for the fact that no one is on, unless you think 638000 is not alot of people , because that's how many were playing blackops on ps3 last night. Microsoft controls enough as it is...and who doesn't want a free blu ray player...lol

I have a PS3 but have many friends with Xbox 360's... or both. I have never ever heard that the Xbox has better wireless support. :blink: 802.11b wireless is 802.11b wireless connectivity no matter if you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 so to me that is a non-issue.

Some of us have modern wireless networks... :lol: Xbox comes with built in 802.11n, whereas PS3 only has 802.11g... Big speed difference, which could eventually matter... possibly...

Thanks for the opinions, guys... keep 'em coming :)

That is just "faster" and not necessarily "better" LOL! :P ...I mean if you really need to view "dirty pictures" that fast.... ;)

That is just "faster" and not necessarily "better" LOL! :P ...I mean if you really need to view "dirty pictures" that fast.... ;)

Faster is always better, my friend ;)

Well, this system will be connected wirelessly, either way... I'm not even going to begin to get into trying to drop CAT-5 from my router to that wall... :surprise:

PPS3 but, if you play games online with family then look at the xbox.

COD Black Ops is the way to go.

I'm a reaserch fanatic, so take this for what it is worth. I considered Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 for about 4 months before I bought my first and only one. I played on all of them at my friends houses etc...

1. If you have kids and are going to play any of the motion games, Xbox (Kinect) is supreme.

2. If you want Blu-ray video, PS3 is supreme.

3. If you like to play with large groups at your house, Xbox is slightly better.

4. Kinect (motion control) smokes Move in that it needs no controller and can not be tricked like MOVE and Wii. 5. From a sports science perspective, Kinect is also much less likely than Wii or Move to teach improper technique (if they paly real sports) and reduces the risk of repetitive motion injuries.

6. On-line content, such as Netflix, Music, ESPN, TV shows, etc, I think goes is a wash, depends on what you like.

7. On-line gaming seems to be a tad in the air between PS3 and Xbox, except if you like to play friends and family, then Xbox.

8. On-line content can be marginalized by a lower speed or poor quality internet connection.

For me, Kinect is what really kicks the Xbox way past PS3. It actually makes exercise fun. My kids (6 and 9) really preferred the Xbox functionality over the Wii and PS3.

Xbox Gold is typically free for a month with a new unit, and if you stall and or look for offers and coupons, you can get it at reduced rates. I am paying $1/month!

Buy both, that's what I did.

PS3 has Bluray, free online, and some good "exclusive" games. (god of war, Socom, and GT5)

Xbox has great online play, more titles, and Kinect.

All the other stuff is about equal on both systems.

Xbox 360 is the way to go. COD black ops has good zombie game play but the live is horrible when compared to COD modern warfare 2.

Playing video games will not only help eye movments, it will help you make decisions faster for unexpected situations. My buddy did a paper over the benefits of playing online video games...

My gamertag is ctap93, anybody that wants to play just send me a friend request.

I have 360, wii , and ps3 360 is the best for online gaming and solo gaming. only thing that ps3 wins is a blueray player and since I olny have a 720 lcd it isnt even really that much better

SVC BADA$$ is my gamer tag add me!

my gamertag is KyroWebs, and I'll be adding some of the guys above :D

I'm a fanboy of the Xbox myself. We don't have cable but with the mediacenter capability we use our computer as the DVR (broadcast channels only), ESPN360 is free as long as your IP carries it, and netflix for $9/month for the rest. Hell my wife uses it more than I do! As far as first person shooters, I've gotta put a plug in for Battlefield BC2, but this is coming from a guy that doesn't have Black Ops.........yet.

I'm not much of a fanboy (or is that fangirl?) of either machine since I have both of them. Since you will be playing FPS games and are looking for online play, I will highly recommend the Xbox 360.

I'm a GT5/Metal Gear Solid person who can't play FPS games without getting the extreme case of vertigo. If you are a gamer who prefers specific more exclusive games, I feel that the PS3 has a much better library. When I'm stateside, the Xbox 360 took much more of my hours to the point where my PS3 was simply collecting dust. However, now that I'm overseas (where competitive Internet online battles are impossible unless we play local LAN games), I much prefer the PS3 interface, controls, and exclusive games. To be frank since I re-purchased pretty much every game that I had on my Xbox 360 for my PS3 system here, I really see no spectacular difference in terms of sound, graphics, or wireless connection between the two systems. I'm not an audiophile though so they all sound the same to me.

I do not have the PS3 Move (yet), but I have to say that the Xbox Kinect is the best thing that has come out in a while. I don't know which is better, seeing people trip over themselves trying to be a goalie when we're playing Kinect Sports soccer, or seeing their first reaction when they realize that they've been video recorded by the Kinect system.

As for the infamous "red ring of death" or "RROD", I've encounted four of them. One on my system back home, some my friends have/had (before they threw it in their dumpster), and one over here. Unfortunately, the RROD still exists and it seems like Xbox isn't doing much to stop it from happening. Have I seen them occur on the newest models that have been released with the Kinect? No. However, Arcade versions and Elite Versions (mine being the Elite version) are capable of getting the RROD. My warranty unfortunately ran out though so I had the time and curiosity to try to fix it myself. My fix did work, but I wasn't able to keep testing it long enough before my departure to see if it was a permanent fix.

Nevertheless to answer your question: only FPS, online play, get the Xbox 360.

Reportedly, the current generation system was physically redesigned to work around the RRoD issues. I was told (don't know if this is true) that they had something like a 40% fail rate before, and are down to 3%? Just FWIW....