Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Block

yuthh

When USPSA state that this is legal for LTD division.Is that mean it has to be a certain brand(www.cominolli.com)and type.Could someone modify something similar with other kind of metal and still be legal?

Thanks

Yuthh

Here's a pic of what the OP is referring to. Sounds similar to a Sight Tracker, in that the part of the gun that houses a majority of the weight remains forward when the gun cycles.

A Tungsten guide rod would also seem to have the same effect, without cutting your slide, and be alot easier to install, not to mention waaay cheaper.

147_IMG_0612a.jpg

When USPSA state that this is legal for LTD division.Is that mean it has to be a certain brand(www.cominolli.com)and type.Could someone modify something similar with other kind of metal and still be legal?

Thanks

Yuthh

If you want to build your own, i.e. replicate it, I'd run that past John Amidon for a ruling first....

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my copy of Front Sight and saw that the Cominolli Custom "front block" is legal in Limited division. Has anyone ever shot this? Know the cost?

Personally I would rather have the block mounted to the end of the barrel rather than the frame. But, I don't think a block mounted to the end of the barrel is legal yet.

Chris

What about the STI TruSight? A sight mounted to a zero- port expansion chamber at the end of the barrel. Is it still around?

I think the gun still exists. If I remember right it's only allowed in factory configuration of 4.25" slide and 5" barrel. I'd rather have a 5" slide and 6" barrel with a 1" weight threaded to the end of the barrel with the sight mounted to the weight. This is how my Bianchi gun in set up and I really like it.

Chris

Un-effing believable... That whole no external modifications or features such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil may as well be erased. The allowing the sighttrackers and trusights in limited was a travesty and this just adds to it. I can't wait till Amidon decides that it's okay to machine "lightening holes" into the tops of all of these. :rolleyes:

Are you sure it's legal as a 6"? Seems like that would pretty much be a 6" sight tracker, which is illegal. The pics on the cominolli website really look like a 5" to me, but I could be wrong.

Un-effing believable... That whole no external modifications or features such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil may as well be erased. The allowing the sighttrackers and trusights in limited was a travesty and this just adds to it. I can't wait till Amidon decides that it's okay to machine "lightening holes" into the tops of all of these. :rolleyes:

Are they really that much of an advantage? Seems like everybody is going out of their way to make their guns really light in the nose to me. I've never shot a sighttracker, I can imagine the sight must appear to move a little less, but it's vertical movement must be the same, and it doesn't seem like top guys use them...Maybe just that a 6" is more of an advantage than a sighttracker?

Are you sure it's legal as a 6"? Seems like that would pretty much be a 6" sight tracker, which is illegal. The pics on the cominolli website really look like a 5" to me, but I could be wrong.

Are they really that much of an advantage? Seems like everybody is going out of their way to make their guns really light in the nose to me. I've never shot a sighttracker, I can imagine the sight must appear to move a little less, but it's vertical movement must be the same, and it doesn't seem like top guys use them...Maybe just that a 6" is more of an advantage than a sighttracker?

I think whether they are an advantage or not is kind of personal. I tried a sight tracker, and din't see any advantage. I tried a 6" and shot it worse. But others swear by the technology. That being said, when was the Limited Nationals won by something other than a fairly commonly-configured 5" 2011 (or a GLOCK)?

I don't believe that I or anyone else suggested that any of these configurations were legal in 6". What I was referring to is what I would like to build and use.

I think whether they are an advantage or not is kind of personal. I tried a sight tracker, and din't see any advantage. I tried a 6" and shot it worse. But others swear by the technology. That being said, when was the Limited Nationals won by something other than a fairly commonly-configured 5" 2011 (or a GLOCK)?

Like RAZZ said it's personal preference. I really like a 6" sight radius. I think it helps me anyway. What I think would be the best setup would be a 6" sight radius on a 5" gun. But, that hasn't happened yet.

BTW, 6" Limited guns have done pretty well. They are still vastly outnumbered by 5" guns so I'm not too surprised that you see 5"'ers more than 6"'ers. But, Leatham does fairly well with 6" guns. There might be a few others who do well with them too.

Chris

Thanks for the link. I actually did a search in the 1911 section and the USPSA rules section for the term "Cominolli" and didn't come up with anything. I don't know why I didn't get that thread.

However, I think my thread is a bit more descriptive of the issue/newly approved equipment. Maybe that's just me.

Chris

ETA: I didn't see anything in my earlier search that was recent or that appeared to deal with this brand new ruling is what I meant to say.

Edited by Resjudicata

Topics merged.

(Thanks, Scott)

Thanks for merging. Sorry I started a new thread. I really did try a search first. Evidently it was a bad search or I just overlooked the existing thread. :ph34r:

So, has anyone shot one of these Front Block guns?

Chris

ETA: BTW, I sent the following email to Mr. Amidon to try and get a little more info:

/Could you let me know if the Front Block is approved for /both 5" and 6" barrels? Also, am I correct to assume not /only the Cominolli brand front block is approved but /simply attaching the muzzle end of the barrel to the frame /is approved?

/

/Thank you for the information.

/

/Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

This is what I got back from Mr. Amidon (in two parts because of my poor wording of the second question):

Part 1:

/Chris,

/

/So far 5" only, not sure what you're asking on the second part?

/

/John

Part 2: (I reworded my second question as follows and Mr. Amidon's response is after that)

/Sorry, I know I wasn't very clear on that second question.

/

/I'm just trying to find out whether I can make and install a similar frame mounted block /myself. Or, do the parts have to come from Cominolli to be legal in Limited Division?

/

/I realize that Cominolli may have patent protections or some protection preventing someone /from copying the design. I'm just asking from a viewpoint of the USPSA rules.

/

/I believe that the function of a frame mounted block that controls the muzzle end of the /barrel and allows for a front sight mount is what is allowed rather than a specific brand /or aesthetic form in particular. Is this correct?

/

/Chris

//First, it is not a Cominolli Front Block, Cominolli is the US contact for

//the Manufacturer. The gun is actually fro AGM Customs Pistols and it is

//called an Accu-Block, available in 5" in 9mm, 38Sper, 40S&W and 45ACP.

//

//The rules say a complete handgun or components with a minimum production of

//500 units by a factory and available to the general public.

//

//Anyone copying this with different parts is not in line with what the rules

//state, I would think that it is copy protected but you would have to contact

//Cominolli for that.

//

//John

I'm not sure that the maker can have a valid patent or copyright on a frame mounted block that holds the muzzle end of the barrel since there are plenty of guns out there (Bianchi guns I've seen) that have the same functional system. But, that aside it looks like if someone wants to try this set up in Limited/L10 then they have to get at least the parts from Cominolli (or whoever the maker is) in a 5" configuration or it isn't legal.

I have to say, I really think this whole '500 guns or components' rule needs to go away. As much as it pains me to say it, I like the IPSC rule better. If it fits the box it works.

I think there is a lot of innovation we are missing out on from small builders and manufacturers because they just can't get the capital to build 500 guns/components from the beginning.

BTW, this is not a dig at Mr. Amidon or anyone else. I asked a question and got an honest answer. Whether or not I like the answer doesn't make it wrong.

Chris